• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR-6 Air Cleaner Assembly Questions

davidk

Jedi Trainee
I have recently bought a 1974 TR-6 and have removed the Webers, and putting the ZS's back on. The bottom of the air cleaner assembly is rubbing hard on the fender. I think this is because of shot motor mounts. Does anyone know of any other causes? Also, in order to improve air flow, I may open up two or three more holes on the bottom similar to the existing openings. Has anyone tried this? I used to have an old Chevy that I took the snorkel top off and replaced it with a flat piece of metal. It made the 283 sound pretty good! Is more air needed than just the existing holes? Thanks for any input, David K.

G

David,
That pretty much is spot on. The motor mounts are probably shot. Pretty easy thing to change out. The Roadster Factory has the best quality that I have found. Just jack a piece of 2x4 under the mount, one side at a time, and change them out using new nuts and bolts.
An option for air cleaners, instead of the original air box is to go with individual K&N or similar filter pairs. Increased airflow cannot hurt, unless your intent is to stay original.

Bill

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Another air cleaner possibility is to get an older style one with the 2 snorkels on the front and put tubes on them to the grille. Perry

roofman

Jedi Knight
Has any one tried adding tubes to the "snorkles"? I was just thinking about doing that, or a Good parts ram air.

Rob_T

I've done it on my 69. I used flex heater air hose, like what was used on the old bugs, only smaller. I had to shim up the snorkles on the air cleaner. A few wraps of tape did the trick. I then cut two holes in the radiator shroud. I don't know about a "ram air" effect, but it is getting cooler air, which was my intent.

Cheers,

Rob

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I tried the tubes and it was OK, but the twin K&N filters seem to work the best. If nothing else, it sure sounds better under full throttle.

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
I am also running with the twin K&N filters. Not only do they look nicer but the filters will never have to be replaced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
Has any one tried adding tubes to the "snorkles"? I was just thinking about doing that, or a Good parts ram air.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Goodparts cold air induction box is not a "ram air" (that actually is an old term coined by the Dodge people way back when). There is really no massive positive pressure pushing cold air into your carbs, really more of a negative sucking in of cooler air.

Bill

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
There is really no massive positive pressure pushing cold air into your carbs, really more of a negative sucking in of cooler air.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but the goodparts box does allow for the remote filter to be placed in much cooler air in front of the radiator. My air box also has the short ram pipes built into it instead of just the radiused re-enforcement plate. A bonus I suppose of getting one of RG's personal air boxs that he used for dyno testing.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is really no massive positive pressure pushing cold air into your carbs, really more of a negative sucking in of cooler air.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but the goodparts box does allow for the remote filter to be placed in much cooler air in front of the radiator. My air box also has the short ram pipes built into it instead of just the radiused re-enforcement plate. A bonus I suppose of getting one of RG's personal air boxs that he used for dyno testing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not fair, why you??
That, plus the darn box + the 3 carbs together were larger than my engine. I louvered my bonnet (13 4" slits) right
over the carbs and we did some smoke testing. Air gets sucked right into my carbs from atop the bonnet. I squeezed 3" K&N filters in there, plus I got some of the Kastner-designed velocity stacks for shows and chasing Civics with coffee can tail pipes.

The venturis should speed the air up going into you carbs. Richard was not real enthusiastic when I told him I didn't care for his air box. Whatever.

Bill

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not fair, why you??
That, plus the darn box + the 3 carbs together were larger than my engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luck of the draw really. When I called him to order it he asked me if I would take a used one (his old one). The advantage was a discount (always good) and it had the velocity stacks already built in. He was getting rid of it because he had started making them larger. Which is probably what you ran into. That was in the summer of '01 if you wondered about a timeline.