• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR 4 Timing mark

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Folks,

Does anyone know the distance from top dead center around the circumfrence of the crankshaft pully for 4 degrees?
If not, does anyone know the diameter of the pully?

Thanks.
Ron

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Pulley is 5.5 inches. You might want to search this forum for static timing info. There are several earlier threads on the topic.Tom

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Yikes, been so many years, geometry, pulley is 5.5" I assume this is diameter, circumference is Pi x diameter, so 3.14 x 5.5" = 17.27" (circumference) / 360 (degrees) = .048" per degree (rounded). Times 4 (degrees) = .192" inches, a hair over 3/16" of an inch. Correct?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The math looks sound, Euclid pretty much got it right.

The thing is, any static timing setting is really just a starting point in my opinion and the final timing is dialed in along the roadside based on running performance that is affected by the state of the engine, altitude, gas being used, how deaf the driver is and other factors.

Where precision does help is in making the process repeatable and measurable. I set the static timing 'by the book' with the distributor vernier at the big mark and then adjust on the road with the dial. That way I know where I have ended up when all is done.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The number that sticks in my head is that 3/8" equals 8 degrees; so that matches glemon's math.

Last edited:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Hey hey, credit where credit is due please, can't believe I remember some of that stuff, although it is pretty basic geometry, a smart math teacher could have used an example like this to get the gearheads attention in math class back in the day!

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I really only static time, then check with the light to see if anything looks wild. That dial on the distributor works well enough and I figure I'm near 4 degrees. 3/16 sounds tight to me based on my blinking white mark, but I'm not touching a thing because after many years of playing with TR engines, my TR4A is going on one full year of great running plus an incredible anomaly. When I shut off the engine, the engine actually shuts off, completely and quietly, like an old Buick. No need to clutch it down, just fizzles right out. Peace for the Holidays.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Took me 4 years to pass 2 years of algebra. God Knows if I took Calculus or Trigonometry I'd still be there 65 years later. IMO, math should be taught by people who don't understand it and have trouble with it - but using examples from real life. When I took my written test for my pilot's license, I scored in the 90s including navigation, weight and balance and time and distance problems. Why? I was interested and it was relevant so it made sense to me. My high school algebra teachers were terrible and had no patience for people like me who didn't have the math gene. I was a journalism major in college but became a lawyer 52 years ago and still at it.Quadratic equations? We don't need no stinkin' quadratic equations.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
... I'm not touching a thing because after many years of playing with TR engines, my TR4A is going on one full year of great running plus an incredible anomaly...

My favorite quote (of many) from Jules Renard: “There are moments when everything goes well; don't be frightened, it won't last.” .