• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR-3A Interior Quality

Arrow

Country flag
It's time to buy my interior. Moss is having a sale 22% off. They do not supply the backboard for the panel between the cockpit and the gas tank. There is a guy called 2Tall that provides both vinyl and/or leather and he does provide the mentioned board. I believe many of today's vinyls are equal to or may even be better than leather. I believe original was leather on seat facings and vinyl throughout. I am leaning towards leather....nothing like the feel and smell of leather. There must be a reason Benz, Porsche etc install leather. I am a little out of my element here and welcome opinions.

Does anyone have input on the quality of Moss interior. Opinion about 2Talls interior? I have to make this decision soon so I can cover the dash and install wiring and gauges. I appreicate your opinions/input. Tom

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had 2Tall do leather recaps for my 3A, three to four years ago. Door caps, dashboard cap, rear cap. I remain pleased with his work. I saw a complete 2Tall 3A interior at the last Brit Car show I went to, and it looked fine.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Does anyone have input on the quality of Moss interior...

I installed the Moss leather kit in my TR3A 22 years ago and they still look great. Some cracking of the outer shell of the piping but all-in-all have held up really well.

Of course I have the rare 2+2 option:

DM50_zps890e54f4.jpg

Here are the seats when I had them out for a repaint a few years ago:

seats_zps9c98b383.jpg

Also went with the Moss leather in the TR4 about 5 years ago -- again, excellent fit and quality.

I'm sure there are several good sources, but you are smart to ask around.

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
Interesting.. You might call and ask at Moss, my TR4 kit from Moss came with the panel you mentioned, covered in Vinyl, even though it wasn't listed anywhere... At least I don't think I ordered it separately.. I can't find it on the website. Oh, and the quality and fit was excellent.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I think this may be the panel Tom is asking about:

MVC-248X_zps0e570935.jpg

The lower part (on mine) is just simple Masonite, the upper is sheet metal riveted to the board.

Note: I added that 1x2 as a stiffener.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just sent a leather hide and a role of vinyl of to Learns Auto Upholstering in PA. I purchased the 48 sq ft hide 6 yards of vinyl, and some waterproof backer board from a local shop for around $420.00. Larry's going to make my seat covers front and rear jumpseat, and cover all my cappings and dash, and some of the panel kit. I will be doing the doors, rear arch covers and extruder parts myself. His price was as good as any of the big three, and I know I will get a first rate product. I could not get a good color or grain match from any of the venders I tried, and I tried at least 6.

If anybody has pictures of what the rear bulkhead panel looks like for a late 1956 TR3 I would love to see them, with or without the rear jumpseat installed.

smdichter

Country flag
sales@john-skinner.co.uk in Chichester sold me my interior. I ordered a leather interior in stone and camel colored carpet. They will send you a set of color samples for both the leather or vinyl and the carpet. Exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable.

PeterK

Yoda
My 58 rear back is all Masonite, curved at the top. I have not seen a new piece available separately from the big 3. btw - if you don't eat meat, go for the vinyl as I did.