• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR-3 Heater Knob Refinishing

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi,

I've got everything restored on my car except for the heater control knob on the dashboard. The white letters are weak and the knob is not shinny. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it look like new?

Thanks.

Paul

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Paul
I used a white paint pen to fill in the letters, then rubbed knob clean with fine steel wool. Its easy and looks good!
Congratulations on the restoration.
John

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Paul,
I should add that the steel wool does not give a super glossy finish, but the look matched my other vintage panel controls. I'm not sure how glossy the knobs were when new.
John

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I use acrylic paint (like artists' oil paints only water based) for the white.

I got a repro knob that was shiny and had to use steel wool on it to make it dull like the originals.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #003300">A little time consuming but: 1. Get the old paint out by soaking the knob in lacquer thinner & then brushing vigorously with an old toothbrush. Scrub the knurled edge too; that gets all the dirt & finger grease out. 2. Any of the prior suggestions for white paint will probably work. I prefer spray gloss white enamel. I spray a little in a disposable container, dab on the letters & arrow with a small stiff artists brush. I put several coats on so the letters are completely filled. let it dry for several days then start sanding off the excess with wet/dry sandpaper. Start with 600 grit, using lots of "wet" (water) Go slowly; you just want to get the paint off. When you're ALMOST there, switch to 2000 grit for the final excess removal. Using the wet/dry not only gets the excess paint off, it cleans any "oxidation" from the knob surface. 3. Now spray the surface with clear lacquer. That bakelite knob (or whatever it is) loves to "orange peel" anything sprayed on it. I stand it up on the floor on a brad inserted on a piece of wood, hold the spray can 12"-16" away and just give it a LIGHT coat. (1 second!) Do that about 3 times & then you can give it a heavy coat without it orange peeling. 4. Now its a little too shiny, so in a few days rub the surface with any commercial buffing compound. I use Maguires Deep System paint cleaner. Now, if your other knobs look shoddy by comparison, use that method on ALL of them ! If you do, one note of caution: Some of the older knobs have a rubber buffer inserted in them. Be sure to dig that out before using lacquer thinner. </span> </span>

OP
V

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your great advice. I will follow it and report back on the results.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year.

Paul

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Easiest thing in the world. Get your daughter's or granddaughter's Crayon set, get out the white crayon, and use that to fill in your knobs. Did mine seven years ago, and still looks great! Rub off any excess with a rag.

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

I simply bought a whole new set of "Screw On" knobs which included the Heater Knob. Simple Installation; Just set screw the little devil on & It looks like its brand new, cause it is!! I forget where I bought it but It is period correct.

Russ