• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Toyota 5 Speed Conversion Questions

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I am posting this in both the Austin Healey and The Pub forums. It seems to be a popular conversion across different LBC models.

I now have a Toyota 5 speed W58 tranny. I have some questions about it.

1. Is there any way to tell it is a W58 other than putting it in 5th gear and seeing the ratio of the input/output shafts? My highly scientific method indicated an approx .75 input rotation made a 1.0 output rotation. This would support the .783 ration of the W58.

2. Should I just clip the backup light switch wires and pitch the connector?

3. What weight oil and how much? I’ve seen both 2.5 qt and 2.5 L. Any recommended brands?

4. The tranny is supposed to have about 132,000 miles on it. Any maintenance I should do before it goes in the car?

5. When I separated the bell housing one of the alignment dowels stayed in the bell housing. Do I need to get it out and if so, what is a recommended method?

6. Any other hints or tips?

I’m in touch with Pete Delaney for the Smittys conversion kit.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I now have a Toyota 5 speed W58 tranny. I have some questions about it.

1. Is there any way to tell it is a W58 other than putting it in 5th gear and seeing the ratio of the input/output shafts? My highly scientific method indicated an approx .75 input rotation made a 1.0 output rotation. This would support the .783 ration of the W58.

I believe there were several different applications for the W58 with varying output ratios but you should find what you have by running down the info on the following sites:

https://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/engcodes.htm
https://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/gearboxes.html
https://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/index.html
https://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/gearboxes2.html

I've been told that the R154 is an inferior product--note that its output is close to the W58 but see that there are definite external differences and points of identification.

2. Should I just clip the backup light switch wires and pitch the connector?

Yes

3. What weight oil and how much? I’ve seen both 2.5 qt and 2.5 L. Any recommended brands?

I use Redline MTL--there is a filler/level hole on the left side of the transmission--fill till oil comes out.

4. The tranny is supposed to have about 132,000 miles on it. Any maintenance I should do before it goes in the car?

If it were me I would take it to a transmission shop and have them go through it before going to all the trouble of putting it in, etc.

R

RonMacPherson

Good references.

My two cents. Make sure you get another locating dowel to install. Every little bit of alignment helps.

On the tranny condition. If you take it to a trans shop, strong probablliity they're gonna want to sell you bearings and synchros(and seals) That's a big chunk of change right there.

I recommend draining the oil out, through a paintstrainer. That will help see if there's any detritus in the trans. Then fill and drain again(kind of a flush). Then find someone who's got a healthy drill with a chuck that fits the input shaft. Put it on the shaft and spin it up, run it in each of the e gears(may need to stop the drill and put it in each gear if you don't have the tranny solidly mounted, listen to the trans case, front rear, etc. for any untoward noise check the seals and replace them. These trannys are a very strong unit and most Toyota dealers do not even overhaul them, so be careful choosing a trannyrepairman.

OP
Bob McElwee

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Thanks Michael and Ron. I'll do some checking to see if anyone knows a repair shop. I had a real bad experience with a national chain one time so I am a little leery about it.
I'll do what I can and use club resources to help.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well yes Ron, it is a bit of change. However, if it were mine and it had 132000 miles on it and it only needed bearings synchros and seals to put it right I would be grateful.-Fwiw---Keoke

R

RonMacPherson

But, it might not need bearings and synchros. Those trannys are usually pretty much bulletproof.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
RonMacPherson said:
But, it might not need bearings and synchros. Those trannys are usually pretty much bulletproof.

Then I would only have to pay for an inspection by a qualified individual and I would be doubly grateful.---Keoke--- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

bighly

Jedi Knight
Bob,

I only replace the rear seal and shift seat. If the transmission has a problem chuck it and get another.

There are my notes and photos on Smittys (er Pete's) conversion on my website at https://www.bighly.com/.

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Bob McElwee said:
I'll do what I can and use club resources to help.

Hi Bob,

I'm pretty sure that Dick Solomon has put one in one of his cars.

You might contact him. If you don't have his Email addy,
write me out of forum and I'll send it to you.

'Twas good to see you and Jean at Round Up 27. Thanks for coming.
We look forward to seeing you at Tri-Healey.

Tim

OP
Bob McElwee

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hi Tim,
Jean and I really enjoy the Texas Round-ups. Gives us a good excuse to fire the car up and take a long trip that will include some neat roads and great people.

The 'sound' we heard when I started the car at the car show was the head pipe gasket getting ready to go. One of the brass nuts had fallen off. By the time we got to Corpus Christi to spend the day with our granddaughter it was pretty noisy. Fortunately it wasn't that bad at highway speed, I could still hear by the time we got home.

We're off to Springthing this weekend - a short trip.