• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

top dead center

Country flag
I have static timed my BJ8 and just sealed the valve cover so there are no leaks. I would like to use a timing light to do some adjustments but there aren't any marks on the pulley to match the point. I would like to see if the distrubitor advances properly with increase in RPM. A friend told me he painted a spot but could not remember how far from the notch. Any help out there? and best rotation BTDC?
Rich

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Rich,

The timing should be set to 15° BTDC at 600 rpm when using a timing light. 15° translates to 51/64" (.796875")
Maximum advance is 34-38° at 6400 rpm.
Dwell is 35+-3°
Remember there is a micro-adjust wheel on the side of the dizzy which you can use to fine tune the timing.

Cheers,
John

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am just amazed at the depth of knowledge and fast responses exhibited to questions posted on this forum! I, too, was somewhat perplexed when I needed to time my Healey. While I was able to determine the information you provided, it took me lots of work and "research" to figure out - when all I needed to do was 'just ask'.....amazing!!!! Thanks so much for all your help!
Steve

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Thanks Steve ... but I did have some "help" on this one. The factory workshop manual lists the timing, dwell and advance info (every shade tree mechanic Healey owner should have the manual) What they didn't list is the distance from the pulley notch. BUT, when I bought my BJ7, there was a copy of a BMC technical service bulletin dated September 1,1964 included in the stack of receipts:
-----------------
Re: Ignition Timing for Austin Healey 3000 Mark I, II and III.

We have received many requests asking for the actual crankshaft pulley measurements necessary for adjusting and checking the ignition timing.
We would like to advise you that the corresponding distance from the T.D.C marking on the crankshaft pulley is as follows:

5 degrees - 17/64"
10 degrees - 17/32"
12 degrees - 21/32"

------------------
The strange thing is they didn't include the distance for 15 degrees but is easy to add the 5 and 10 degree distances to obtain it. Anyway, Jim Werner added this info to his website under the heading of Ignition Timing Specs:

https://hometown.aol.com/bgahc/jimwerner.html

Cheers, John

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Wow! What great, rapid info. Thanks John. If I'd have had this kind of support 15 years ago I'd have kept my 57 XK140. This is truly a supportive family.
I wounder what the thinking was for omitting the marks on the wheel?
Rich
thumbsup.gif

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tahoe healey:

I wounder what the thinking was for omitting the marks on the wheel?
Rich
thumbsup.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Cost? Every other Healey quote I've read talked about having to trim costs to keep the price down.

hammer.gif

cheers.gif

John

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Rich,

Maybe stroboscopic timing was not as common when the motor was first developed or when the pulley was first designed?

BTW, if you have an adjustable timing light you just set it for 15 degrees and line up the TDC notch. The adjustable light is also good for checking the max advance.

Cheers, John

bighly

Jedi Knight
Tahoe,

I hope to meet you at the Eureka CA rendevous!!

When faced with this I purchased a timing light with a degrees offset dial. That way I set it on the timing light and line up the one and only mark. Works great!

Tracy
1960 BT7 rolling restoration

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks again. Now my wife has something to buy me for Xmas. Any suggestion on brand or type and cost?
Eureka? When and where? I'm going there for the wine and crab festival. Would it be nice if it was at the same time. You've got me dreaming...wine,crab and Healeys WOW. (The crab and wine are actually in Mendacino).
Rich
wink.gif

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tahoe healey:

Eureka? When and where? I'm going there for the wine and crab festival. Would it be nice if it was at the same time. You've got me dreaming...wine,crab and Healeys WOW.
wink.gif
<hr></blockquote>

As usual, not much help with the technical info,
confused.gif
, but here's the scoop on the Healey meet - Healey Rendezvous 2003, sponsored by the Austin-Healey Club, USA is taking place from July 7 to 11, 2003 in Eureka, California. Future updates can be found in the Upcoming Events section of the Resources heading at https://www.healey.org
(For some reason, currently unable to get the direct link to healey.org/events)

Hope the dates coincide with your festival!

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: healeygal ]</p>

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Johnny,

The pully distances are for "Ignition Timing for Austin Healey 3000 Mark I, II and III." I don't know if it applies to the 100-6. I know the service manual states 15 degrees BTDC for stroboscopic timing for the BJ7-BJ8. The earlier cars may not be the same. You would need to check the factory service manual or perhaps someone here can help out.

Cheers, John