• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tonneau socket question

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Have to put the frame back onto the 76 B. I looked at the 3 holes that they secure to and noticed no threads. I checked the 78 B I'm restoring and it feels like threaded nuts behind the holes. Thought of using a screw and nut to attach sockets but the side panel has to be on so you can't get a nut on the inside and tighten it down.How do I 1: screw the screws into the body and get a nut on the back with the side panel in place? or 2: figure out how the threads are attached to the body like in the 78 and do this to the 76.
Help
Rick

Blind nut's fell off. Uhhhhh... I think the only real cure is to remove the side panels, and weld another nut in. I had one missing on both sides of my car. It's just a driver and not a show car, so there's only 2 bolts on each side holding the top frame.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about one or more self threading screws, nice ones.

If they're small enough to go through the holes in the top frame, then there's not enough threads to catch anything. Plus that sounds really DPO'ish IMHO.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Maybe the blind nuts are on a plate and it has just slid down?

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Still DPO-ish but if you are going to use self-tappers then put a cotter pin in the hole and then bend the ends out to form a little "Y" and trim the ends fairly flush- then the screw will have plenty of metal to grip onto. Did this with a tonneau lift the dot peg where the hole was stripped out on the TR3 and it has been holding tight for years. Kind of like the old "fill it with matchsticks" trick for stripped out holes and wood screws.

jgbowman1

Jedi Hopeful
There's an easy fix that won't make you a DPO. Most carmakers these days don't weld on nuts, but use rivet nuts. You can get them at McMaster-Carr, Fastenal, Pegasus Racing, etc. in the size you need, and it will be a permanent fix.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I had the same thing with mine and glued a couple of nuts into place until they tightened enough to hold.

What are the rivet nuts and how do they hold to tighten?

Bruce

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
ACK! Okay... go to a fastener house (they'll start salivating, BTW) and ask about "NutZerts"... then ask about Marson equivalents. These things are an aircraft-inspired goodie like a pop-rivet, but with THREADS. Get inserts to accomodate the original screws and drill out the "non-threaded" holes to accomodate the inserts and with the tool for setting them, you have an "original" fitting again.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Use the rivet nuts. They go on a little like pop rivets using a special gun. Some suppliers of "rivnuts" will lend or rent you a gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ

OP
H

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
The rivet nuts and Nutzerts look like they may be the answer. Are either of these products available at Lowes or HD?
Rick

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I'll go out on a limb and say, "no" ... the way these guys are carrying on it sounds like fastener specialty and speed shops will be your best bet for them.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Right Rob. Primarily aircraft industry stuff. "Joe Homeowner" is waaay outta this loop.

Got a local SECO? They ight have it or can get it for ya.

Jake

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Actually I have purchased nutserts at Lowes, they also have a real simple tool to install them. If you want the good stuff though, go with Marson. Another option is ClickBond nutplates. They epoxy on and you can get them in a locking style. The threads can actually float a little bit, makes things easier to line up without having to be precise.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Your best bet just might be right here on the Web if you can find them.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you have a local airport that specializes in small general aviation aircraft, talk to one of the mechanics there and ask him if they have any rivnuts. Take one of the screws with you so he can match up the size if they have any in stock. You might have to drill out the holes a little bit to get the nuts in. Use one of the tonnaeu bar brackets for a guide while you are setting the nuts, Because once the nuts are set, they won't move. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ