• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tonneau Cover

M

Mike

Is it possible to purchase just the back half of a Tonneau Cover for my 58 Bugeye? I love how it looks but don't want to buy the complete cover.
Thanks,
Mike

toysrrus

Yoda
Good Morn`n Mike,

Personally I`ve never seen one! That does`nt mean they don`t exist but I really don`t think you could buy just a "Hood Stick" type cover. If you find one please let me know.

Regards, Russ

OP
M

Mike

Russ:
I'm afraid your right. I have Googled it enough without prevail. That one piece sure looks sweet.

Mike

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Don't they just fold down over the tonneau bar and attach to the floor?

I don't have the fasteners on tonneau or floor and I rarely get out the tonneau bar (which wasn't so easy to find BTW) but I use the tonneau a lot when parking and sometimes when driving.
tonnaeu.JPG

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I don't know how original this idea is, but it works for me. I reverse the top frame (bonnet frame)so that it is facing toward the rear of the car and insert it into the lower holes behind the seats. This allows the frame to incline toward the rear. Now you can put the tonneau cover on and drop it over the reversed frame to cover the opening behind the seats.
Charlie

Colin8

Sounds like you don't want the part that covers the seats, just the rear that goes behind the seats and down to the floor? I agree, that looks nice. The tonneau on my '66 Sprite is one piece and has tabs sewn in midway with the "lift the dot" fasteners that connect behind the seats. I've never heard of only half a tonneau being made, but you could probably have one custom made if desired.

OP
M

Mike

I see what you guys are saying. I thought I saw just the rear half in a picture but most likely it was folded down. I have yet to see a good used cover on the market. I'll keep looking.
Mike

RickB

Yoda
I have what appears to be a Bugeye Tonneau while what I need is a MK Tonneau.
The one I have is a bit short (about 2" short) for my car.
In a perfect world I could find someone with a MK2 Tonneau who needs a Bugeye Tonneau and we could trade.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Mike,

You may want to contact a BCF member who goes by the name of "GUNDY": He has a Full (Short) Tonneau that I believe he may want to sell?

If you have a problem locating him here; Just send me a PM & I`ll give you his contact info.

Best Wishes,

Russ

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
A lot of modern convertibles have something that sort of looks like what you want.

My Miata has a snap on cover that hides the convertible top when folded down.
It's sort of like a "short tonneau".
It was in place when I bought the car new off the showroom floor.

I haven't used it since.
grin.gif

I wish that regular tonneaus were easily available for Miatas; I really like driving the MGB on a cool night with heater on and the tonneau over the passenger seat

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
198686d said:
Hm. I didn't know there was a "tonneau bar". How does it attach?

dave in University City, MO

It goes across the car behind the seats using the holes for the top frame. It provides a place to fold the tonneau against as it goes down to the floor but even when not folded it gives a high spot to keep the tonneau tight for run off and wind flap reduction. Numbers 1,2/3,4
SPM-095.gif

OP
G

half a tonneau would probably cost twice as much.

Man those things are high !!!!

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Mike said:
Thanks Russ, I'll see if I can run him down.
Mike

Careful "running me down". I'm a tort lawyer. :wink:

I do have a shorty tonneau I don't need. It's in good condition. I love how they look but my Sprite now has a long tonneau I just bought before the previous owner found this short
one in his garage.
Pis are mine with the long one and a pic with the short one lying on top of the long one for reference as to the difference.
NOTE: it has been cut to fit a roll bar but would still attach
to a non-roll bar car.
$40, shipping included.
It has all the snaps, zipper etc but I don't have the posts you need for the body. They are easy to find however.
Lemme know.

Attachments

• 18756.jpg
    18756.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 707
  • 18757.jpg
    18757.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 704
OP
M

Mike

Gundy:
Thank you for the reply. I'm actually looking for short piece that would cross the back of the seats to the
snaps on the rear of the seats on the body. Where did you purchase your new tonneau cover? I think what I'm looking for is not made in the after parts world or sold separately.
Thanks again.
Mike

tao724

Jedi Trainee
Hi Mike,
I would buy a decent used full tonneau on eBay, then take it to a professional seamstress with a machine that does vinyl, and have her (or him) cut it short to your measurements, finished with a folded over border (a hem). Then the seamstress could sew in some reinforced heavy duty, matching color, elastic like strips with the snaps sewn in, at your marked location and with your desired length, etc.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I still don't get it, sorry. Can't you just fold the full normal tonneau down behind the seats like intended? Or isn't that a BE think? Is it that you don't want the extra front material hanging around? I guess if you had or made some tonneau bars you could put some snaps/fasteners across it and make a piece to fit but why? It's really nice to pull in somewhere and quick flip the tonneau up, snap/zip and the cockpit is covered. Or even cruisin in the cold with just the driver's portion open is nice. I don't get the appeal of a "half-behind the seat only" tonneau? To cover up packages or something?

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Mike said:
Gundy:
Thank you for the reply. I'm actually looking for short piece that would cross the back of the seats to the
snaps on the rear of the seats on the body. Where did you purchase your new tonneau cover? I think what I'm looking for is not made in the after parts world or sold separately.
Thanks again.
Mike

No problem. I got my long tonneau from a friend in the parts business.
What you describe is going to be such a small piece I'd think any trim shop could make it. The snaps, etc are readily available and they would have vinyl at any shop.
Note on the short one that the rear will attach at the edge
of the cockpit and how short that distance to a seat would be.
The long ones attach past the cockpit edge back where a soft top attaches.
I'd bet any trim shop can make what you describe as wanted.

OP
M

Mike

Thanks guys, By the time its said and done, it will probably be less in costs to get the full size and just tuck back behind the seats to get the look I saw versus having a custom piece fabricated. I was hoping the piece that I wanted was already a provided product on the market and well priced under the cost of a full size tonneau.
Mike