• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Today was the day

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
to start on Miss Agathas engine and tranny pull.

Oil leak and second gear stiff shift plunger.

Also some paint on engine and engine parts, Florida coast is tough on paint. Hard to keep things looking like new.

I just may install my tilt forward bonnet kit as well, it makes it so easy for an old guy to get to things.

I have all the new peices, etc that are going in except that I need to have the oil pump can cover brazed to the rear engine plate so the darn thing never leakes again. I found a fellow from one of the local car clubs that has a welding shop and says no sweat. Tough to find a place down this way it is such a high rent district that the shops charge an arm and a leg when you can find them.

Bonnet off, radiator drained, and heater duct removed and that just may be about all for today. Had to clean up the garage floor first. Was a mess from the winter.

Going to go slow this time and do it right.

bugimike

Yoda
Nice going Jack! A little progress every day and she will be done in no time! Surprised but glad to hear you are opting for the tilt front! At our ages I think you will love the convenience and comfort level working on the engine and wish you had done it sooner! (Makes engine-pulling and replacement SO much easier too!). :thumbsup:

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Fluids out, all oil clean and no metal at all on the magnets. She was running like a sewing machine just this morning.

Not sure why I worry about orginal stuff, no one but be down this way has a clue in any case. If questioned I could always say it was an option, hehe.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've got a clue, bub... AND I'm further "down" than you! :wink:

Sounds like your ambition is peakin' too!!! :laugh:

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
make sure your oil pump doesn't hit your cover when you go to install it.
Mine was a bit chunky on the casting around the bolt holes so a dremel was used to get some clearence. if you dont have clearence it will crack the solder joint/brazing and your back to leaking . Good luck take your time.
:thumbsup:

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thought I just might get some plasta guage so I can see how much clearance I have.

G

I'm not doin' nuthin' till it gets too hot to drive. Suprised you started in the begining of the season.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Heh, I started when the weather was nice enough to work outside in a T shirt.

Really, this should only take a couple of weeks at my new speed which is much slower than it was a few years ago.

Sure nice to get some light in the engine room, I see lots of things that need some tender loving care.

G

jlaird said:
Really, this should only take a couple of weeks at my new speed which is much slower than it was a few years ago.

I hope so. I thought my in-car bearing change would be a few hours, and it turned into a month long half baked "rebuild".

ONly my tranny leaks now. Aint pullin' that till it's bakin' outside.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I really have nothing else that has to be done. And Miss Agatha is not a driver in any case. Is a car show in Pensacola on 17 april. lol, got first place there last two years. Will shoot for that I supose.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Today all but tranny bolts and front motor mounts till the big pull. Amazing how easy it is to pull an engine. Course this is the 5th time for this one.

Borrowed a nice hoist with rubber wheels and a tilt thing.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
jlaird said:
Today all but tranny bolts and front motor mounts till the big pull. Amazing how easy it is to pull an engine. Course this is the 5th time for this one.

thought had crossed my mind - you're getting very good at this and I'm not being sarcastic. :cheers:

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Up at 5, bah, wife off to hosp home by 8. Kind of screws up day.

Question: 948s have a felt washer front oil seal, 1275s have a real oil seal. What is the difference in the timeing chain cover, are they interchangeable and if so how would you get it in. The 948 has a u shaped suround that the felt fits into.

texas_bugeye said:
make sure your oil pump doesn't hit your cover when you go to install it.
Mine was a bit chunky on the casting around the bolt holes so a dremel was used to get some clearence. if you dont have clearence it will crack the solder joint/brazing and your back to leaking . Good luck take your time.
:thumbsup:

Rebuilding a 948 right now, The new oil pump coming for the 948 these days, are a bad fit on the cover no doubt, it a universal housing that can be used on the 948 and 1275 oil pump as well, and it does not fit the rear cover, it would have been impossible to fit to the orginal rear plate and cover without the mods mentioned. The main difference beyon the type of drive on the different A series pump is the fact the the pin drive pump have a triangle bolt apttern, the star drive and slot drive 1275 pump a 4 bolt pattern, thre are also some the thickness issue with the different pumps on the different engines. I recently went thru this, ended up diassembling the original pin drive pump which has a 6 star drive vs the new pumps 5 star drives of the new pumps, the orginal pump has the same clearence as the new pump, about .003-.004", and was in like new conditon, fits properly, so that the oil pump that went on the motor. So words of wisdom, hang on to your orignal pin drive oil pumps, inspect and check the clearences on them, if they look good, and check good, probably a better oil pump anyway.

jlaird said:
Up at 5, bah, wife off to hosp home by 8. Kind of screws up day.

Question: 948s have a felt washer front oil seal, 1275s have a real oil seal. What is the difference in the timeing chain cover, are they interchangeable and if so how would you get it in. The 948 has a u shaped suround that the felt fits into.

Jack if you want a timing cover with a real front seal and still look orgianl then find a 1098 front timing cover, it will have no can like the 1275, have the MOWOG in the same place as the the 948 cover, and to all looking at the car, no one will be the wiser you don't have the original timing cover. The 948 I'm building now has a 1098 timing cover on it as well, I also gave the little motor adjustable dual vernier timing chain as well.

Another nice upgrade for a 948 engine is to get a set of 1098 rods, they look the same as the 948 rod minus the pin bolts, they have a real floating bushing instead, but the same .625 pin size, then opt for a set of STD. 998 flat top pistons to mate with the 1098 rods, the STD bore of the 998 is 2.54" which is .060" over for the 948. Also the deck height of the 998 flat top pistons is about .015" which gives the 948 a compression ratio increase as well.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
your wife OK Jack?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Hap, guess that is what I need if I can find one quick.

Not going to open engine, no need there. This is just oil leak at pump, sticking shift pin and engine bay clean up while it is out. Got a bit nasty in there.

Oh yea, engine is now out. Breakdown to get at tranny etc tomorrow.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh forgot to say engine and tranny out on garage floor. Boy it was dirty down in there, guess I best scrub it out as well.