• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TOBs gone wild!!

Country flag
Ack!! It appears the throw out bearing in my 68 B has given up the ghost. This is my first encounter with a MGB TOB. I have a very limited amount of time for the repair so I need to be as efficient as humanly possible. I'm away all next week and then have a driving event on the 19th and the AMGBA National Meet on the 20th. That gives me 5 weekday nights (3-4 hours each night) to "git-er-done". (and Sat. if I cancel on the driving event).

Tell me the best way to go. TOB, pressure plate, clutch, pilot bearing I'll order next week so they're here when I get home. What else do I "need" to get? And NO, I don't NEED a OD trans, as much I may WANT one!! LoL Any other bits or fittings, etc? Any special or unique tools required?

I want to do this right, the first time. I have been planning on these two events since I started looking for a car this year. Missing them would be a major downer. I look forward to your advice.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Motor mounts, front transmission seal.

OP
S
Country flag
Thanks Jim. Motor mounts, check. Front trans seal a precaution?

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Peter, Early MGBs normally have good motor mounts. A few years back I got a few motor mounts that were so hard they sent a vibration thru the whole car. If you get that problem you will know where to look to correct it now. The front trans seal and gasket are something I always change in a car I have no history on. Its too much trouble to pull the engine again to fix a leak.( rear crankshaft seal and gasket is also something you might want to consider) I also replace the clutch fork bolt and bushing. Next is the type of clutch to use. QH are still not good and purchasing a Borg and Beck off ebay may also get you in trouble. QH boxed clutches have Borg and Beck stamped in the pressure plate. BUT they are a different design than the good old B And B clutches. The QH/later B&B clutches also tend to grab right at the end of the clutch stroke. AP appeared to be a good clutch setup but I have not used one in quite a while. I will have to start a hunt for a good replacement for B&B which WAS one of the best clutches for our little cars. When ordering parts get a spare oil line that goes from the block to the gauge and a spare water pump for your trunk parts kit. Good luck gitten'er done. Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Whoa.

Bob, ya covered it. :thumbsup:

Q-H was an <span style="font-style: italic">experience</span>... production shop, THREE clutches later... UGH. Put me off Q-H. I guess they've not improved, thought (hoped) they may have.

I saw a Sachs "kit" listed and have had excellent luck with fitting them in "other" vehicles, AP as well.

OP
S
Country flag
So Moss is having a 20% off sale. Should I get what I need from there?

OP
S
Country flag
Ok...'Clutchectomy' supplies ordered from Moss. Made sure to get B&B parts. Took advantage of the 20% discount too! Parts shipped yesterday so should have them soon. Now need to get home and begin the teardown.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ya should have the whole thing out and on th' deck in about two hours' time. :smirk: