• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Three broken spiders later.....

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Despite having two 4.22 diffs and one 3.9, it seems that I still do not have enough serviceable parts to make up one good unit. The original was removed due to a howl on overrun and had 3 broken teeth on the pinion and a cracked spider. The second has good 4.22 gears, but also has a cracked spider. The 3.9 out of my 1967 donor car also has a cracked spider housing.

Does anyone have a good spider or know of anyone who might? I do not believe that it matters what the ratio is since all I need is the housing, but I will buy a whole diff to get the part I need.

What other cars used this diff? MGB's?

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
racingenglishcars said:
From what I remember, there are a couple different housings (cages) since the width (thickness) of the crownwheel is different for different gear ratios.

Great, I think that with all the trouble to get the proper repair parts, I could have an RX7 axle with LSD cut down for the same money, I am already out $150 for the two replacement diffs with no guarantee how many more I will have to buy to get a good one. I am going to call Moser on Monday and see what the modification will cost. I will need the housing and axle shortened and the hubs adapted to take the splined wheels. Still once it's done it will be bulletproof and I believe it will allow me to use the Miata diffs with the Torsen LSD. It cannot be that hard a swap since a quick search found several Sprigets with the conversion, one with the knock off wheels like I am running.

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
regularman said:
You should be able to find just the differential gears for the spiders for not so much. Its the final drive gears(ring and pinion)that need all the detail. The spiders don't have to be so perfect.

I have a good set of gears now, are you saying that small cracks in the housing are OK? I am lighter than a Sprite, but am making 100hp at the flywheel and good torque through up rated axles and I don't want it to come apart on me. I do not know if the 3diffs I have were beat on or what, but they all cracked in the same places with stock engines.

I called Hap, and he said the racers just put another used one in whenever one goes bad. I can see that for racing, but I would rather do the job once and never have to do it again, if I can.

G

I'm confused. What is cracked, the spider gear itself or the carrier?

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
The Spridget diff is the same as Morris Minor, Austin A35 and a variety of lesser produced cars like Turner, Elva and such.

The MGB is a bigger and stronger diff, and importantly English. I only say that because it would look doky to have a Lotus rep with a Jap diff.

The Spriget diff should easily be good for 100hp and I don't remember seeing cracks in any of mine. Of course I'm not running anywhere near that power, well maybe 90 in the F-prod. I therefore tend to think your 3 diffs were "ragged".

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
kellysguy said:
I'm confused. What is cracked, the spider gear itself or the carrier?
That is my question as well. I was thinking the problem was just in the spider gears, or is it in the housing. You might want to snap a couple pictures to clear it all up. Especially if you only want to do this once :wink:

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
As far as dorkyness goes, I run a Datsun 5-speed transmission, so I suppose it's too late for me.

I have a good set of gears now, but the housings are all cracked. However a fellow eleven builder called last night and has several that he removed for replacement with LSD's. I hope that one will be useable.

Beyond my difficulty in finding a good unit, I am keen on having some type of limited slip back there. As I understand it, the cheapest true unit is the transX at around $900, this would make a shortened Mazda axle with LSD a relative bargain, even with the cost of shortening the axle. I am running a Phantom Grip now and in the short time I have had it out on the roads, it seems to be of benefit, but I would like a true LSD eventually.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I never cared for limited slip. Its ok in a drag car but its job is to lock both axles as one when you romp on the gas and let them run independently and free when you are not hard on the gas. The problem with that is when you romp on the gas when going through a curve, it wants to lock the axles together and go straight.

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
regularman said:
I never cared for limited slip. Its ok in a drag car but its job is to lock both axles as one when you romp on the gas and let them run independently and free when you are not hard on the gas. The problem with that is when you romp on the gas when going through a curve, it wants to lock the axles together and go straight.

Not with bias ply racing tires, it just helps the drift be more controllable when both back tires breakaway at around the same time. Looks like I will be reinstalling the Phantom Grip next week if one of these two spider housings I got today is useable.

Country flag
There are different types of limited slip control.

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I live in Los Angeles, what is this "wet pavement" you speak of?

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I have a 4 link axle with panhard rod and coil overs. You do realize that we are not talking about a Spridget, but rather a Lotus 11 replica with a modified Spridget axle?

Bad news from my axle guy: both spiders have cracks at the lower corners of the "windows" clearly visible with Magnaglo. Unless we can find some more to check, it looks like we will be TIG welding the best of the bunch and using it. One of the units has only the beginning of one crack, so it should be a candidate for a repair. It is either that or pay $900 to $1000 for a TranX LSD to replace the whole darned mess.

nomad

Yoda
By 4 bar I assume it is similiar to the setup on a BE with a panhard rod to keep it centered. The 11 ought to be light, how much are we talking?? How much power?? I would think the stock axle ought to be good enough. If not,the RX7 axle only had the limited slip for certain years. Any one know what to look for from the RX7??? I've heard of quite a few diff problems but broken spiders is new to me.

Kurt.