• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Thoughts on a TR3a

Tcraftdriver

Bought this car maybe two weeks ago. The side curtains are shot, the interior needs to be redone and it needs some minor mechanical work, but it's a fair driver. The TR3a arrived on a warm late summer evening. Green Eyes, with her head tilted to one side, watched silently as I backed the topless banana yellow TR out of the trailer that had brought it to our home. The engine needs tuning and the carbs need work but after a little fiddling it was time to feel the magic. First in was our youngest daughter and away we went letting the R's climb slowly to 3500-4000 RPM, gently shifting into 2'nd, then 3'rd, each time with a satisfying bbrrraaaappppiing sound between each gear. Big smiles all around. She was amazed at how close to the ground we were and how she could touch the road when we stopped at an intersection. Next was our oldest daughter and we blasted off again waving at the neighbors and laughing like hyenas. Then it was Green Eyes turn. She climbed in without a sound. I revved the engine and away we went. I glanced over when I found third to see her eyes closed, head laid back and her long brown hair streaming out into the wind. We cruised along the river close to our home enjoying the feel of the warm air and the scent of the countryside. Not a word was spoken. A few miles later it was back to home and I quietly idled up the long, tree lined, gravel driveway all the way to the garage. "That was a nice ride", she said. "It was fun". It really was. More to come. And oh yeah, I love this car.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'll bet next time she puts her hair up, though! I took a date out that way once, who had beautiful brown hair that hung below her waist. She told me later that it took her most of the week to get all the tangles out! And I never got a second chance ...

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Love it. Post pictures please.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Peter Egan, Jr.! Nicely written. Feels good to have a TR 3 tucked into the garage, doesn't it?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Said it on another thread: "Ain't nuttin' better!"

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Congratulations on getting a 3, beautiful cars and a blast to drive.

Mickey that's right "Ain't nuttin' better!" than a Triumph.

oxendine

Jedi Hopeful
Good post, I couldn't have said it any better. My wife is after me to finish ours. She says I'd rather work on it than to enjoy driving it! A buddy has the car now finishing a few things and I hope to get some driving time this fall yet.

OP
T

Tcraftdriver

What a wonderful fraternity of enthusiasts make up Triumph owners. Thank you all for the kind comments. I will try and post photos by this weekend. So glad I bought this car. I love driving it, but I am also discovering how much fun it is to work on it. Not really big hard jobs like a frame off restoration, but things I can handle without a restorers shop.

Took our youngest daughter on another ride tonight. A little cool at 53 degrees. Bundled up, side curtains off, top down, we cruised a short two miles over to her friends home where she is watching the pets and small 4H animals while they are on vacation. I sat in the car with the engine idling while she attended to their needs. Then I saw their large black outdoor watch dog approaching the car. Very exposed, for a tense few moments I thought I might be in trouble if he decided he did not want me there. But then an odd thing happened - from one foot away, that big watch dog slowly circled all the way around the car eyeing it from every angle then stopped at the left rear wheel and looked at me without blinking. I had eased the car into gear and brought the revs up a little if I needed to suddenly depart the area. Our daughter was safe inside their home. For a long couple of seconds we made eye contact. Then he stood up and just wandered off. This car just charms everyone and it never gets old. The magic lives on.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Remember to tell Green Eyes to remember that wonderful first ride feeling....when those parts bills come! Congratulations and keep it on the road! Gil NoCal

Lbp

My wife has yet to ride in the '58 TR3A I acquired two weeks ago. She refuses until I complete tomorrow's planned project of installing seat belts. As for the parts bills, I suspect it won't be much of a problem as she has already been desensitized - my daily driver is a '93 Porsche 968 Cabriolet. By comparison, parts for the TR3 are far more available and reasonably priced.

Bill