• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

This weekend - progress

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
From my previous posts you will know that Ms Triss made it home under her own power - just. I put her in the garage and we just rested apart for a week. I then came down with a lousy summer cold which completely removed any motivation for anything car - or any other thing - related. Finally last week decided to get the expansion tank fixed. Went to two rad shops and both wouldn't touch it. Then was driving and saw my new friend Howard's shop door was open - Howard is creating what will likely be the best 1961 Vauxhall Victor in the world - he is also a welder. Asked if the tank was worth repairing. His reply, "yes" and offered to do it. Next day he called and it was good to go. (I love the generousity of time and talent in this hobby)

Got new oil filters - they didn't fit. Got the right filters, forgot to get a new fuel filter, got one from Mark (Abarth69) and set to work, change oil, change filter - oil and gas (BTW removed the bracket that moved the location of the filter to accommodate the removed air pump. While the car was up put a hose clamp on the Slave cylinder end of the clutch hose (remember it popped off earlier this year) cleaned the air filter, reinstalled the tank, topped up the rad and hit the road. Oh and I changed the plugs - NGKs as per Jeff Schlemmer's recommendation, gapped to .040 also as per his recommendation. Car runs great! Of course this might be false bravado as it didn't start stumbling until I had been driving for an hour on the way home.

Still thinking that it might have been bad gas though - Interestingly, the fuel filter was full of gas which it never is, making me wonder if the filter was clogged some. (also put gas cleaner in the tank just in case) So, we'll see. One thing I am very happy about is that I used Lucas oil stabilizer with the oil ans I have about 10 lbs more oil pressure - that is very good news and the car is nice and cool from disconnecting the vacuum.

Finally cleaned up the car a little, went on for supper (Saturday) with the intent of hitting the cruise nite - of course then it started to rain and has been raining ever since. (which we REALLY need.)

So, having a running car again, I decided it was time to start on the Vauxhall. My first two projects are the engine and front subframe - this because they are the two dirtiest remaining parts and because getting them sorted will free some space. I have the body mounts off, the sway bar off (I think it came with 5 sway bars - sheesh) and the one hub disconencted. Don't have a ball joint splitter so it's still attached to the car. I must say I have forgotten how different it is taking apart a car with 40 year old grease and grit and reassembling a clean and repainted car. I also note that there is a difference between taking apart a car that sat in a field in Ontario and a car that sat in a garage in Florida.

Finally, it was hot and muggy in the garage so a CAB was most welcome at the end of the afternoon.

Oh, and, no kingpins on the Vauxhall - ball joint on each A-arm and one on the tie rod end. Interesting

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sounds like a very good weekend JP ! I got fuel pump changed on Midge (the carter 4060 was just to noisy & overkill, the Facet is much better fit) but that's all I got done, you were much more sucessfull than I !

Theron

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hey JP, Ya gotta love tinkering with an MG! That's half the fun! I have Bosch Platinum plugs in my 1275 and Jeff had suggested that I change to the NGK's too. The car has been running fine, so I'll wait until I get my SUs on and sorted out before I change them.

I saw your pics of Vivian. Pretty Cool!!!! It'll be interesting to watch your progress. Keep the pics coming!!!

sswarin

Country flag
Hey fellow travelers,

I was lazy like Jer this weekend. It was so hot in the garage that all I did was change the throttle return spring on the purple spridget. Hopefully now the throttle will return to a quiet idle at stoplights so people in the next lane won't think that I'm trying to drag race them all the time.

Steve

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sswarin said:
Hey fellow travelers,

I was lazy like Jer this weekend. It was so hot in the garage that all I did was change the throttle return spring on the purple spridget. Hopefully now the throttle will return to a quiet idle at stoplights so people in the next lane won't think that I'm trying to drag race them all the time.

Steve

It's not the throttle, it's all that bling!

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
nice avatar JP ! Paula will be impressed !

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Jer said:
nice avatar JP ! Paula will be impressed !

thanks
grin.gif

BTW, PM me your address - it'll motivate me to look for the reverse lights.

Back to cars. Yesterday I borrowed a tie rod end splitter from Mark and a spring compressor from my local PartSource (dontcha just love the tool loan program stores have) Didn't have a ton O time but got one spring out and the opposite side hub off. Today I snuck out and got the other hub off as well as the other spring. The frame is almost entirely dismantled, steering rack off and everything is pretty much ready to get cleaned. I will then dismantle the rest, media blast, paint, rebuild and install it under the car. Then I will at least have a little more room to play.

So far no bolts broken and most came off pretty easily including three holding a brace that were little more than finger tight.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well, today I loaded all the parts into the car and took them to the car wash to clean off the crud. Didn't get it all but got a really good start. The good news (very good news) is that the cross members are completely rust free - and even dent free. The British engine chassis lube system has worked its magic again.

That being said, while the parts were cleaner I was filthy - push the nozzle in close and it sprays right back, thank goodness I was wearing safety glasses. Interestingly, each GT subframe I have has a different set of motor mounts. I know which is the correct one and now am wondering what the other ones are for.

Got home, parts put away and showered and off to cruise night - not many cars (they are building a bank in the plaza parking lot so I think people are staying away) a couple of LBC's, an MGA, TR3 and an MGB. Had a nice chat with the B owner and some "I used to have one of those" stories. Evenings are starting to cool off, great time to drive!

Attachments

• 26118.jpg
    26118.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 177
OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kind of looks like a skeleton doesn't it - that wasn't planned

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Summer holidays officially began this afternoon at 4:30. Watched Top Gear at 5 and then hit the garage. Got the first hub dismantled. I ended up drilling out about 1/2 of the stuck cotter pin and then punched out the rest with a small screwdriver. The thing that amazes me about the parts is that they are actually coming apart fairly easily. Used the compressor which definitely made it easier but still, nothing broken so far (knock wood) I was particularly amazed how easily the bearings came out - thought they would be tighter. Don't want to punch out the second bearing (closest to the hub) till I find out a) whether they are still available and b) whether I have a set. Likewise the brake calipers - though I know I have new pads. Hopefully I can media blast the parts this week.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you working on Ms Triss, everything is available.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Working on the Vauxhall Jack, i realize i am in the wrong forum but this is where my friends are. Tonite i went through some boxes. Found all the bushings (polyurethane - $322 from the website and i know he paid more cause the exchange was worse) found the tie rod ends - two sets. Found the brake caliper rebuild kit - found a pair of brake pads that don't fit and haven't found the right pads yet but i know i've seen them and the old ones have a ton of life left.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Amazing, you should be lashed with a wet noodle, Vauxhall indeed.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
jlaird said:
Amazing, you should be lashed with a wet noodle, Vauxhall indeed.

mea culpa :wall: