• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thinking about a weekend project

Radford

Jedi Knight
I'm thinking about installing some new front springs this weekend on my 75 RB. What is the degree of difficulty on this. Anyone got any tips? Yes I have one of those handy spring compressors.

I'm also looking at what the time element is. Got to give the wife an estimate, ya' know.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Based on my experience, it is an easy job if that is all you are going to do, but I bet you find other things when you go to replace the springs LOL If not sidetracked with other things, Count on 3 or 4 hours to remove (including soaking time for penetrating oil) and an hour to reassemble...just plan to spend a whole day at it and you will have time to take anice long test drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

PS- I prefered using the floor jack method to remove the springs myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
Radford

Radford

Jedi Knight
Thanks Bruce, if you have a moment give me a few words on the "floor jack method". It's always good to learn a better way to do things.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Like Bruce I used a floor jack rather than a spring compressor. Basically you put the car up on jackstands, either under the frame rails or under the crossmember. Put a floor jack under the trunion, where the a arms connect to the swivel axle, jack it up and compress the spring. (be sure to protect the trunion with a piece of wood or something more forgiving than metal. While the spring is compressed, unto the top of the swivel where it connects to the lever arms. Slowly, lower the jack. You can then pop the spring out with a pry bar. Assembly is in reverse order! lol!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
That's it...but one more safety note...wrap a cable or chain around the spring to avoid sudden loss of control...it can pop out at any moment, not needing a pry bar to come out if you have enough clearance for the pan to drop down far enough, it just falls out. I had to take a second floor jack and raise the body a little higher to let it the spring drop out on its own.

OP
Radford

Radford

Jedi Knight
Well, almost too late, thanks for the safety tip Bruce. I should have been on top of that myself, I do that even with the spring compressor - never too much safty in the shop. The project has been delayed 'til this coming weekend. Why is it that wives (is it so in the case of husbands Jaybird?) get jealous when men want to spend five or six hours in a garage? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

goloch

I too am thinking about doing some work on the front suspension of my 71 MGB. I'm already working on the front brakes so I'm considering going on with more work while I'm there. The car has a significant amount of what I hope is surface rust on the front suspension components and all of the rubber bushings are dry-rotted . The plan for now is to have the car as a summer daily-ish driver; is this stuff I should be looking at doing sooner than later?

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
yea, that is how I started last winter...just to replace the old brake hoses...then I figured why I was at it, new bushings and shocks. It grew into new springs and a total rebuild, cleaning and painting of the entire front suspention and all those little parts including the crossmember. It raised the front end by over an inch, so this winter I am doing the rear suspension...right now the entire rear end and axles are sitting on my bench waiting for a coat of POR15 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

and I figured out the the rear brake hose I bought on Ebay doent fit anyhow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
MG projects have a way of 'blooming' on my too! Last year, I decided to pull the engine to replace the rod bearings. Ended up rebuilding the engine, hydraulic system, clutch and front end while it was out. This winter the plan was to strip it for paint, now I'm doing a sill replacement and a total 'frame off' restoration. The 'might as wells' really bite me hard! But I do enjoy it. (I just hope I get my car back this summer)

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I don't think it happens to everyone... Front brake pad replacement turned into "I need to rebuild the front suspension". Hand brake cable replacement turned into "I need to rebuild the rear suspension". Installing a missing heat shield became "crap I have to replace the heater return pipe now!". And just last night, replacing the heater return pipe became, "*sigh* I need to replace the emissions pump, too?".

Ya know, I sort of suspected my smog pump wasn't working completely up to par. I pulled the hoses on it last night to find that it's not working at all. I guess that answers why I had to detune the car so much to get it to pass the emissions test (it had to be set so lean that the car was barely able to spin the dyno wheels). I assume that if I replace it, the car will be able to pass an emissions test without making the mixture excedingly lean.