• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The days when you and your CAR got on the plane

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Came across this article this morning and found it interesting of days gone by.....

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210404224951-02-iberia-aviaco.jpg

Last edited:

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
And before Aer Lingus Aviation, there was Silver City Airways...
Cargo Plane.jpg

From Wikipedia: On 7 July 1948, a Silver City Bristol Freighter operated the first cross-Channel air ferry service, between Lympne near Folkestone in Kent and Le Touquet on France's northern Côte d'Opale coast, with good road connections from and to London and Paris respectively. The new service, which initially operated on a seasonal charter basis, became a year-round scheduled operation in 1949. In the beginning, there was a flat £32 one-way fare to take a group of four passengers along with their car across the Channel. Once opposition from British European Airways (BEA) to the carriage of passengers travelling without vehicles was overcome, a new fare structure was introduced. For example, a group of four travelling with a small car was charged only £27, while the comparable fare for four people travelling with a large car remained at £32. By the end of 1949, this operation fully utilised five Freighters, which carried 2,700 cars and 10,000 passengers. These figures represented a significant increase over the previous year when only 178 cars and their occupants, as well as some motorcycles and bicycles had been carried until the end of the season in September.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I was a sophomore in college, I shipped my Lambretta scooter from JFK ( in New York) to Tampa FLA on Air Florida (long gone) for $25. What a deal!

Last edited:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
It only worked for cars being IMPORTED to the US. If it was our cars being exported the planes couldn’t off the ground.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
When I was a sophomore in college, I shipped my Lambretta scooter from JFK ( in New York) to Tampa FLA on Air Florida (long gone) for $25. What a deal!
That IS a good deal. You couldn't ship an extra bag for $25 these days.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
137,000 cars ferried In a year by 25 planes... at roughly 25 pounds to 50 pounds a trip... wow
Indeed - 32 GBP in 1949 = 1,138 GBP in 2020 = 1564 USD today = 1964 CAD