• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series TF Coming Along

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Chassis pretty much done. Now down to installing the new brake lines, master cylinder, wiring harness etc. The front end was the biggest pain. New tie rod ends and steering rack boots ordered and the front will be done. PJ

TFChassisFrontDone.jpg

TFChassisFrontDone2.jpg

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nice work Paul

that is going to be beautiful when done.

Dave :driving:

Country flag
And you said when you bought it you wouldn't get too much done on it anytime soon. What's it been? About 4 or 5 months.

You looking good!

Marv

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Your right Marv. I thought I'd let it set for a while before starting on it, but you know what happens when you get too much time on your hands. I just couldn't look at it anymore with out getting my hands dirty. It's working out real well. The front end was a pain to re do, but thank goodness it's almost done. Soon as I get the frame done I'm going to work on the engine and change the rope seal on the crank to the new modern one piece unit. Hopefully that will eliminate the slight oil leak that seems normal for these engines. PJ

PS, Have you driven the Healey yet? You better get it out and blow some of the dust off of it! :jester:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Installing all new brake system, the flex line on the rear appears too short, creating sharper bends than I think it should. Moss only lists one size line for all three points. I would be happier if this line was a little longer. Don't know if the earlier Jag lines are the same or not. Have to check. PJ

BrakeLinerear3.jpg

BrakeLinerear.jpg

Some more shots;

bl2.jpg

BrakeLinesFront.jpg

Country flag
Your going to make me wish I hadn't sold the car. I do know its in better hands.

BTW, I did get the Healey out for the car show last week and drove it around for a little bit. I won the 3000 class. I'm about to start back on the TR3.

Marv

Country flag
Your going to make me wish I hadn't sold the car. I do know its in better hands.

BTW, I did get the Healey out for the car show last week and drove it around for a little bit. I won the 3000 class. I'm about to start back on the TR3.

Marv

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Marvin Gruber said:

Marv

Thanks for the compliment Marv.
That's great on the 3000 win Marv! After seeing the beautiful restoration you did on the car, I wouldn't have expected anything less! Keep us up on the TR work. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, the chassis is almost done, just minor stuff, so it's engine time! Even though the other one was like new, as the engine only has about 10 hrs on it, I replaced the throw out bearing while everything was apart. New lip seal conversion on the front crank. The green primer is zinc chromate which I use on all aluminum parts before painting. Went a little crazy with it on other parts. Now waiting for new brass core plugs, (Freeze Plugs to some). The ones in the engine were fairly new, but one weeped, so I'm replacing them all with brass. Had to Heli-Coil all five bell housing bolt holes in the aluminum pan, as three were stripped out. Easy chore. Be great getting it back in the frame. PJ

TFEnginePrep.jpg

Country flag
Paul,

Looking good. If I can suggest, look the trans shift lever over. The shifter linkage had some rattle to it when I drove the car. It was mainly in first gear. Wasn't bad but with all the effort you are putting into it, I would hate to see you have to go back into it.

Marv

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Marvin Gruber said:
Paul,

Looking good. If I can suggest, look the trans shift lever over. The shifter linkage had some rattle to it when I drove the car. It was mainly in first gear. Wasn't bad but with all the effort you are putting into it, I would hate to see you have to go back into it.

Marv

Thanks Marv! I just had the shifter off yesterday cleaning it up. It's nothing to pull it off. I'll do that and see what's causing it to rattle. Glad you told me. Had that problem on the "B" and found out it was the little plastic cup on the bottom of the lever. Not sure how this one is set up, but will surely find out. Thanks again. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Even though the engine is loosely put together, don't have all the gaskets in yet, I temporarily set it in the frame to check where the left motor mount needs to be modified to give more clearance from the steering shaft. Something the factory seems to have missed. It comes back out for the mod and then back in for good. A couple photos of the progress. PJ

TFMotorMountMod2.jpg

TFEnginePrep2.jpg

TFTransmission.jpg

Country flag
That's PURRRRTY!
grin.gif

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
New exhaust system, new fuel lines and new wiring. Just got informed yesterday that my rebuilt front shocks are on their way back from Wisconsin. The body work is coming soon and that's the part I hate! I don't like body work! Wish I could just wave a magic wand over it and it was done. Oh well, it's all part of the game. :jester: PJ

FuelPump3.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
The body work is coming soon and that's the part I hate! I don't like body work! Wish I could just wave a magic wand over it and it was done.
What you need isn't a magic wand, it's a magic credit card--a self paying one. :smile:

Nice work on that TF.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just got my rebuilt front shocks back from Peter at World Wide and they are quite impressive. Their supposed to be all black, but I chose to have him do them this way. Now to put them on. I also restored the 1954 Lucas ignition coil to, what I've been told, is it's original appearance. I can see why it takes so long to restore one of these "T" cars with all the trinkets that have to be done. But it's enjoyable. :smile: PJ

TFShocks1.jpg

TFCoil1.jpg

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just rebuilt the generator and it might be for a later car. I have the numbers posted else ware and hope someone can fill me in. Physically, it fits properly and all wire fittings are the same, but it has no external band over the brushes and I think it's supposed to. It'll stay on there for now but if it isn't the right one for a 55, I'll keep an eye out for the proper one.
The numbers on it are; 22258E 9 56 and C39P V2.PJ

Generator2.jpg

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Looking great Paul. Wish I could focus on one project from beginning to end.