• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Testing an unknown engine

BlackHealey

Ok, I recently picked up a completely rusted out BJ8 that used to have the Jamaican fiberglass body installed. The car frame and body panels are pretty much gone, but the entire drivetrain is still complete. The engine only has a recorded 20,800 miles on it. Got to love PO's!

I might be getting a BJ7 with a Ford 289 installed. Obviously, when I restore it, I would want to replace the engine with the Healey engine.

Here is my question:
What all do I have to do to get the engine running, to see if it will run or not. I simply want to start it, it does not have to sound good or look pretty. I am trying to set up a budget for the next restoration.
I am already planning on getting a new coil and will have the starter and generator rebuilt. I am going to have the radiator pressure tested and will change the oil in the engine. I have currently added a little Mystery Oil to the engine to loosen things up a bit.

Overall, I need to know how I go about hooking up the engine to a battery and fuel supply without a "true" wiring harness and without any existing fuel lines in the car.

I removed the valve cover and was amazed at how good everything looked. It was not sitting outside completely uncovered. The Jamaican body was missing the windshield and rear window, therefore, water/salt air was able to eat the frame, but barely entered the engine compartment. The car was in Florida.

I look forward to your input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Bob, lets start out by adding a carburetor rebuild to the engine and replacing the distributor points,Cap, Rotor,spark plugs and hi tension leads before we start.You will need some type gravity fuel feed for the carbs or kludge up a good fuel pump. The generator will not be needed just to start and run the engine.However, a good hot battery and some cables along with a very heavy switch will be required, The negative terminal of the battery should be bolted solidly to the engine. The positive led should be routed through the heavy duty switch to the stater.A wire will also be required from the switched side of the switch to the coil's Positive terminal. The negative terminal on the coil will connect to the lucar terminal on the distributor. Closing the switch will energize the starter and the coil.Got Spark and fuel She should fire.---Fwiw---Keoke

OP
B

BlackHealey

Keoke,
I knew you would be the first to answer! That is just the kind of answer I was looking for. When you say a heavy switch, do you have a type in mind or where I should go to get one?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Bob, to keep cost down and have adequate current capability you might just pick up one of those hefty knife switches at the hardware store. Naw I don't like that use a lighter switch and route the battery power through a cheap starter relay . Hows zat---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey Bob, I forgot be sure you are way out in the back forty when you start the engine.--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello Robert. Here's an idea, take the motor to a shop with an engine run stand. They'll get it going for you for a nominal fee. A professional assessment would be worth a few bucks, wouldn't it? They can provide a leak down test, compression test, even a basic timing setup. Call around, a lot of mechanics like to do that sort of thing.

my friend keoke,you must have a couple billion dollar floater on your personal insurance policy,at least tell him to have several friends around with fire extinguishers and dont try this in his closed garage!whooo!!!!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Whats all that noise did somebody say sumpin?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
B

BlackHealey

I definitely appreciate the input. Keoke, I like your idea as I am definitely a DIY type person. I will look into Johnny's idea as well. It might save me some time and headaches. Looks like I am getting the BJ7 after all so I need to check this engine out. I still can't believe I am about to start on another restoration. At least this forum allows me to be surrounded by other LBC lunatics! Thanks for the feedback. This group rocks!

black healy,congrats on the bj-7 i also own a bj-7,1963,black red interior,also do all my own work, ill be glad to relate any info i have and any specific details concerning the mark,again congrats,enjoy

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
pull the plugs , dump some marvel oil / AFT down the bores, put the plugs back in , if you can move the motor side to side to get the cylander walls covered.
let it sit so the oil gets to the rings and loosens what ever rust etc is in the bores,

when you get ready to start it , pull the plugs , put some rags to catch the excess oil and turn the motor over by hand 2 times ,,

I just did this with a car that sat 20+ years,

forget rebuilding the carb etc till you see if it turns over and fires up, if its junk you have wasted $$$$ rebuilding the carb etc......