• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Temporary garages?

alexm

Freshman Member
I'm thinking about setting up a temporary/portable garage this summer.
I've been looking at ones from ShelterLogic, Shelter King, and
ClearSpan. Does anyone have any experience with any of these makes? All
thoughts and opinions are welcome!

== Alex in Maine
1960 Austin Healey BT7 3000 Mark 1 - "The Blue Mainie"
1946 MG-TC - "Norton"
Former owner of 1957 AH 100-6, 1967 AH 3000 Mark III BJ8, 1965 MG Midget https://users.adelphia.net/~alexmm/ai2q.htm

Kim deBourbon used one for her MGB, if I remember correctly. You might check with her. Contact me off-list if you need an e-mail address.

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
I use the Harbor Freight one. It doesn't give much room on the sides to work and you have to pay attention where you park in it so your door doesn't hit the sideposts. Still, it works well and it will function as a paint booth in the future.(bought a nice fan for exhaust). Price was $159 plus tax.
See attached
Rick
Just previewed the pics. Guess it was too dark. If anyone needs a spesific pic let me know

Attachments

• 4517-PDR_0135.JPG
    4517-PDR_0135.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 104
  • 4518-PDR_0134.JPG
    4518-PDR_0134.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 94

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
I have a shelter logic 10x20 unit. It's worked well for the several years I've had it up. I've also made a number of hoop houses out of plastic sheeting and electrical conduit or PVC piping. Those are really red-neck and low-buck.

The fabric garages work well enough, with some understanding. Overall, I like them.

Snow loads on their roofs will sag, gather more weight, continue to sag, and eventually collapse the structure. But simply go out and clear the snow off the roof and your fine. Rain does not present this problem. You can bonk most snow and ice off from the inside, just bopping the roof by hand.

Tie them together. I use a ratchet strap from front to back on both sides. Goes a long way to holding them together in a hurricane and such. Mine have stood up to them, and over extreme high wind conditions.

Anchor well. As in cross stake anchors. I've held mine down in hurricane winds this way. Accidently ended up with one flying like a kite for two days about 2-3 feet off the ground in a hurricane once, but it wasn't damaged due to being tied together, and stayed in place due to the anchoring.

The fabric is semi-delicate, and will not stand up to abrading and chafing. Tie it all together tightly, leaving nothing to flap. This does mean some regular retightening initially.

V

vagt6

I purchased one from Shelters of New England and used it for about two year. It was very well built with aluminum tube frame and very sturdy cover material. It had a pretty good anchor system as well. Nothing short of a tornado would blow it away. I covered the poles inside with foam rubber to prohibit the poles from scratching my GT6.

BTW, my '05 MINI also fit in there, but only if I folded the mirrors back. A pretty tight fit, but plenty big for most LBCs.

I sold it recently for about half what I paid for it, a pretty good deal, I think. The cover still had no holes and was waterproof.

It was not cheap, about $400 some dollars, shipped, if I remember correctly.

The only drawback: your wife will NOT like it! Mine was in my driveway in front of the house. It's not exactly, umm, archetecturally asthetic!

But, it beat the heck out of no garage. I now use a Wolf "Noah" car cover. Sad, but true.

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
I have a couple from Costco

I think the last ones were $159 which included both side panels and one end panel.

the Costco ones have 4 heavy duty poles per side
the cheap Pepboys/Kragen ones have 3 poles per side and much lighter weight poles.

You will never bend or twist the Costco poles !

For the price the Costco one is a good deal, I think the covering even has a couple year garantee /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Beaulieu

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm in the process of building the prototype of a portable collapsable garage I've been working on for years. Patents are a pain...but if all works out it will be a very durable long lasting..and best of all...reasonably priced thing to buy. Attachable to any surface and designed to withstand weather and wind. Not many people know about it..not paranoid, just don't want to make any stupid mistakes. When all is safe, I'll post a few pics.