• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Suggestions for bugeye headlights

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
My bugeye is stock, with a generator. My electrical system checks out, but after driving with the headlights on for a couple of hours, the battery runs down to the point that I have to charge it or use a jump to get it started. I don't want to put in an alternator. Any suggestions on a particular type of headlight I can install? Is this a common type of problem with bugeyes? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like a voltage regulator issue to me. There is also someone who puts alternator guts into a generator for LBC's to keep the period look. Not sure where I saw that link. Bugsy has a similiar issue with radio, XM Radio and halogen headlights. Since most trips are short duration runs to the store at night, starting takes it out of the battery and I never get enough driving in to get things fully charged up. Between that and the radio keep alive, battery will run down if not driven in 3 weeks or so. An hour on the charger gets things back to normal. It's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering an alternator upgrade.

Country flag
Doesn't someone make a solid state regulator that fits in the old controller box?

Also, be sure your belt is properly tensioned.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I thought it was a voltage regulator issue too. I checked it, and then took it to a British mechanic who said everything checks out too. I am just a little frustrated at this point. I know I must be overlooking something.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
i had electronic guts put into my regulator box. cost about $80 3 years ago, has worked fine .....I'm not sure this will cure your problem. I would put in a ammeter and see if the gen. is charging OK.
Scott in CA
let me know if someone wants the contact info for the solid state regulator.

Country flag
Solid state units would require no maintenance or adjustment and are affected less by environmental factors (heat, dirt, etc).

Back when I used a generator it seemed to keep up unless I ran the headlights, fan motor, and the wipers. I converted to an alternator back when I used to rely on my midget for daily transportation. IIRC, the generator would keep up fine with just headlights unless I was having to idle along in traffic.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
A gentleman doesn't drive after dark, but I don't remember Lucas saying anything about ladies. In any case, my wife will not drive until I get this problem fixed. I have sealed halogens, so maybe I will look for something with a little less draw. I plan on putting in LEDs for the tail lights - will this have any effect?
Kevin

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A gentleman doesn't drive after dark??? Then what am I doing when wine tasting with my lady?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
bugedd said:
A gentleman doesn't drive after dark??? Then what am I doing when wine tasting with my lady?

Can't say on a "G rated" board :whistle: but probably no gentleman.
grin.gif

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
I've always thought of trying to make the headlights retract, like they originally planned. There are several model cars you could "steal" he mechanical parts from. A little ingenuity, and who knows. . .

Country flag
I suspect they were originally thinking of having them lay flat rather than retract. Gerry Coker often jokes that he was relieved that he left the project before they asked him to help sort out that aspect.

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Kevin, I think you will be disappointed in the LEDs, particularly since you like the stock look. it takes many LEDs to equal the light output of a single lamp filament and the appearance will be quite different (and personally I feel the retro-kits are not attractive).

Besides, the amount of power the original incandescents rear lamps draw is insignificant compared to headlamps. Changing them is not going to fix your problem, if what's going on is that the generator can't keep up with the headlight load.