• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Stuck on my MGB: Oil Filter

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Ok...my distributor is twisting freely again but I now find that my oil filter won't come off! I have just drained the oil and my car is sitting in the garage with a dented (but not punctured) oil filter. I've tried both the strap and caliper-type removers but they haven't worked. Do I try the screwdriver through the filter technique, or is there some other way?

Thanks,
Obtong

PS. I bought the car in September, and the oil and filter were changed by the previous owner.

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
I have always been a big fan of the screw driver technique.. Sure to work every time.. If you can get two into it at different places, you can lessen the ripping of the filter, bettering the chances of getting the thing off..

Remember to put clean oil on the new rubber seal and do it up hand ( two hand actually ) tight.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Strap wrench with a "cheater bar" (short length of pipe) over the handle. Longer pipe is better, if you've got the room.

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
I use a big pair of 'water pump' pliers!! Don't know what the proper name is or why we call them waterpump pliers, but they sure do work!!
wink.gif

G

or channelocks, which is the company that makes most of them. Their 460 model is great for oil filters

A

aerog

What about the wrench/attachment that fits over the top of the filter and is turned with a regular socket wrench?

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Because of the small size of the filter and the large size of the typical wrench, I find it helps to put a wrap or two of rubber (I use an old innertube) around the filter and put the wrench around that...and haven't had to resort to the "srewdriver technique", all be it the final solution,I agree, but messy.

Bruce

mowog

Jedi Hopeful
I use a pair of pliers like tool that is made for oil filters has worked for me every time for years I never crank on the new filter hand tight is good
troll.gif

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
I just never know about you yanks!!
smile.gif
You have a different name for everything, and there I am trying to be a nice guy, and sure enugh I get broadsided!! We have the same name for something!! WOW!!!
angel.gif

A

aerog

Here's another thought, how about one of those belt-wrenches that Sears sells (can't remember what they call them) that uses a thick rubber belt, kind of like a metal-banded oil-filter wrench.

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
We don't say broadsided..

Over here it's ambushed..

Sheesh!!

G

I'm not a Jeff Gordon fan, in fact I root for Tony Stewart, Dale Jarrett, and anybody that is ahead of Jeff Gordon, but Phil and I would stick together

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chuck Cougill:
I'm not a Jeff Gordon fan, in fact I root for Tony Stewart, Dale Jarrett, and anybody that is ahead of Jeff Gordon, but Phil and I would stick together<hr></blockquote>

Somehow I always had a hunch you were a class-act Chuck -- and now I've got proof
grin.gif

I'll do you one better - I usually just root for Michael Schumacher or for Gary's benefit Jacques Villeneuve
thumbsup.gif

G

yeah, but I am from the midwest, where every small town has a quarter mile dirt bullring, and all of the drivers dream of NASCAR. I helped out on a car for a couple of seasons a long time ago, so along with drag racing (we got those too)that's where I grew up. and although I'm not a Jeff Gordon fan, I will admit he is a very good driver with top of the line equipment. I just hate seeing anyone dominate the sport in the way he has