• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA STOLEN MGA

Steve_S

Yoda
Steve Meline of Huntington Beach had his MGA Roadster stolen last night. Please keep an eye out for anything that might help recover his car. Hopefully Steve will drop in and keep us updated on the situation.

Here is a clip from the UK BBS about what happened...

"Last night, after getting home from Whistler, it was stolen. I had an elctrical fire (just smoke) on the way home with the pizza. Parked it, and returned to find it gone. I had it for 27 years. Please keep an eye-out for it or its components. It has a Ford 5-speed, very well developed 18V engine, roller rockers, Maniflow intake and exhaust manifolds, MGA SUs...."

Here is a list of specs, as found on Barney Gaylord's web site:

Beige MGA 1500, no bumpers, smooth valence, racing windscreen,
headrest fairing, gold racing mirrors and gold alloy wheels,
black tonneau cover, black carpet, tan leather seats and headrest pad.
Underneath it has a Ford 5-speed, well developed 18V engine,
roller rockers, Maniflow intake and exhaust manifolds, MGA SUs....

SEE DUPLICATE THREAD IN PUB SECTION FOR PHOTOS
(trying to save Basil some bandwidth fees)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last one lost was in Santa monica about a year ago I do not think he ever recovered the car. This thief I think knows what he is doing. However, I hope Steve is more fortunate and gets his car back.--Keoke

OP
Steve_S

Steve_S

Yoda
I never heard a word about that Santa Monica car. I assume it went south of the border. Makes you want to put a lojack in your car.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
<span style='font-size: 26pt'><span style="color: #660000"> WOOOHOOOOOOOO </span> </span> I hope its close to the same shape it was.

Country flag
All such incidents should end so well.......!

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I found this over on the mg enthusist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Steve Meline, Huntington Beach CA
BUT NOW ITS FOUND !!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help and support. The response from so many shows what a community we are. In a very real way you felt and shared my pain. Now drink in the joy!

This morning I got a call from the P,D, saying the MGA was found in Fullerton, about 12 miles away, stashed in a mobile home park under my own car cover. Fearing the worst, I found it virtually un-scathed! Other than some under dash wiring damage it is all there, stereo, speakers, sub-wolfer, head fairing and every thing under the hood, even my hat. The switch was disconnected so I hot-wired it, like the last guy. It started up. It was towed to the shop, the wiring should be sorted out tomorrow. Covered in finger-print graphite, to me, it never looked so good. I could have never replaced it.

Lessons learned. As much as we love them there "tin & tires" and not the most important things in life. Yes Lord. Thank you again for your fellowship and friendship it was very comforting during reaslly hard days. I will miss many but special thanks to Barney, Steve, Peter & Ann, Jeff, Larry, Mike, Skip, Ash, Rich, Gene, Gorden, Scott, Ash and everybody.

Emotionally I had pretty much let it go, boy that was had. Man its good to have it back!
Steve

[/QUOTE]

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
GREAT NEWS /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
LUCKY!! Great news!!

D

Deleted member 3577

Drink, drink, drink.....Celebrate.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

Now it's time for the lynching /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Now there's a properly happy ending. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm with Dave. I have the rope. The fingerprints should tell which party gets The Guy treatment. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

brett

Great end to a bad day for me. I'm really happy your A is in good hands...

What a beautiful MGA /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Now that's awesome!

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Tried to submit these thoughts and they didn't go through, so this is a repet, I am truly glad to hear that you recovered you MGA, but. My question is there something that you could have done to prevent the theft? A battery cutoff switch? I'm sure you kicked yourself and have given this alot of thought, what are they? I drive my BE, and it is something I worry about. Thanks!!!!

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Glad to hear the A was recovered mostly unscathed.

I have a battery cutoff switch, but do not rely on it as theft protection, as the "key" is universal. Add a relay to the circuit that controls the fuel pump with a hidden switch .. somewhere .. and switch it off when parked. Car will probably start, but run out of fuel within a mile or so. Makes recovery much easier.

Might also want to remove the coil wire/dizzy rotor. Sadly, a determined thief will get it no matter what you add :-(

D

Deleted member 3577

Most exotics are enclosed trailer snatches....

Park where no one can back up to your car with a box rig.

If you can start a new BMW....You can start any 70's car.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
My thinking was if the car was on the road and for whatever the reason, it had to be left. The hidden switch for the electric fuel pump is good. Also taking the rotor bug out is good. However, how hard is it to push a lbc onto a trailer, with the BE being the easiest. The old adage of a lock only keeps the honest man out is probably true, and unfortunately he isn't the one you are trying to protect the car from. Thanks for the thoughts.