• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

stock 70 air filters

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
I beleive there are hoses that run from the back (top) of both air filter housings (for twin su's) thru a "t" into the valve cover. in the pic attached the hose is disconnected and the air filter housing is not there, is this assumption correct??

Attachments

• 216128-hoses.jpg
    216128-hoses.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 70
Country flag
The Y-pipe actually went to carb bodies then to the charcoal canister. If you have the earlier model carbs, then they will not have the ports. If they do have the ports, but you don't have a charcoal canister, then run it to the timing chain cover. If you don't have the ports, then you will need to look at incorporating an EGR valve set up I believe.

Country flag
Wait, I just reread your post.

Country flag
OK, the line on the tappet cover should go to the above mentioned charcoal filter canister, but if you don't have it, the you could run it to the air filter housings, or plug it and used a vented oil filter cap.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
HMMm well if you can see it in the picture the valve cover vent is capped. and The right hose is attached to the rear carb, and the front (left) hose is plugged. By the way what is the green "can" with a port on top just to the right of the fan blades??

This setup was how the previous owner had run the car for several years.

Country flag
That can is the timing cover/oil seperator. It must have a vacuum source or you will most likely have positive (at best neutral) crank case pressure and extra oil leaks.

If the front carb does not have a port for the other side of the Y then you have mismatched carbs. It will be tricky to balance them if one has a port and the other doesn't.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
Ok , I will check for a port on the front carb. If not I will have to work hard at balancing the carbs for this summer and replace the front carb next yr. Or can I just close off the port on the rear carb?

Where does the vacuum come from for the timing cover/oil seperator?

Lots of questions sorry

Country flag
The Y-pipe hose should go to the front cover.

If you block off the rear carb you won't have a vacuum source unless you rig up an EGR valve on the intake manifold.

Can you connect just one side of the Y and get a balance? I dunno. But I would think it would be possible but not optimal.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
Ok I modified the picture. IS this correct?

Thanks for the Help

Attachments

• 216158-hoses.jpg
    216158-hoses.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 54
Country flag
Yes, and the other side of the Y goes on the front carb if there is a port there.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
EXCELLENT, Thanks, This baby will get started this weekend for sure...

Country flag
Originally, I think the '70 had a charcoal canister and air pump. If I were you, I'd try to find and refit the charcoal system, but the air pump is a waste of time.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
I'll keep my eye on ebay for one, but is this a performance issue or an environmental issue. This car will not need clean air testing

Country flag
I guess it is an environmental issue, but it will make the car smell better (esp if you park in a garage). But it certainly will not reduce the performance.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
I will look, but not urgently. I thin I should look for a matching carb with the port on it first.

Country flag
I just sold my set of SU's and two junk pairs back in January. Don't be in a rush, ask around before paying alot for a set off of ebay. I'll look to see if I have another cannister when I get back out to my "stash" ;-)

And actually, a member of my local club had a set of SU's left over from his old midget. I'll ask about them the next time I see him.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just for arguments sake, Bugeyes only have one hose from cover to one carb air cleaner and a pipe on the side that dumps on the road.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
Thanks,, is it just a new cannister or a whole n/used carb that I need

Country flag
Neither of those have the tubes. You are looking at the choke cable "holder".