• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Still Searching for a Steering Wheel

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I need a new or used steering wheel of 14" diameter or less to replace Harold's current wheel, which is too big, and rubs on my legs, making driving uncomfortable.

Ideally I want one that bolts right on without replacing the hub, but I'm having trouble finding anything.

I looked at Grant's adapters, but the model 6560 is no longer made, and seems to be unobtainium.

I looked at the Moss TT wheels, at Tony's suggestion, but they appear to need a hub too, and they are not cheap. I don't really want to fork out hundreds of dollars!

Anybody have any suggestions, or a suitable wheel they'd like to sell?

Julian

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Ideally I want one that bolts right on without replacing the hub[/QUOTE]

Hate to be the one to say it - however, the hub of the MG's original wheel probably won't work on any other wheel in the market today....it was a one time application for that particular wheel.....you're gonna have to find a wheel/hub combination, sorry....

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
tony barnhill said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Ideally I want one that bolts right on without replacing the hub

Hate to be the one to say it - however, the hub of the MG's original wheel probably won't work on any other wheel in the market today....it was a one time application for that particular wheel.....you're gonna have to find a wheel/hub combination, sorry.... [/QUOTE]

OK Tony ... was that the only available wheel, or were there others perhaps of a smaller diameter?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]was that the only available wheel, or were there others perhaps of a smaller diameter?[/QUOTE]

You might ask a Midget owner if their wheels of the same period would interchange on your original hub.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Grant still lists the 6560 on their webpage but you will need to buy one of their Signature wheels to make it fit.

Occasionally these adaptors show up on Ebay or at swap meets. I'd also check the "for sale" pages of some of the local and national MG sites...great resource for used parts.

here's one on Eaby.UK

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-MGB-Mi...7QQcmdZViewItem

and lots more here...
https://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.d...ge=search&fgtp=

the dollar to pound exchange right now is at about $1.80 to one British pound.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Thanks!

Yes, Grant still list it, but in practice it is unobtainable. I actually placed an order with a company online who stated they had it, but then changed their mind!

I will continue checking Ebay ... The Mountney adapters look interesting.

The US$ to UK Pound exchange rate makes my eyes water :-(

Julian

YankeeTR said:
Grant still lists the 6560 on their webpage but you will need to buy one of their Signature wheels to make it fit.

Occasionally these adaptors show up on Ebay or at swap meets. I'd also check the "for sale" pages of some of the local and national MG sites...great resource for used parts.

here's one on Eaby.UK

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-MGB-Mi...7QQcmdZViewItem

and lots more here...
https://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.d...ge=search&fgtp=

the dollar to pound exchange right now is at about $1.80 to one British pound.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The US$ to UK Pound exchange rate makes my eyes water[/QUOTE]

Well, you should've been with me during my month in Germany...Euro to dollar rate was $1.71 (that's $1.71 to 1Euro!)

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I was going to recommend trying to find a Les Leston wheel, but I measured mine, and it is a 15" It has it's own hub so it would have fit your needs, but the diameter is too big. although I have heard that those are hard to find as well.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
tony barnhill said:
Well, you should've been with me during my month in Germany...Euro to dollar rate was $1.71 (that's $1.71 to 1Euro!)

I feel your pain. I took me, wife and two kidlets to London a month ago to celebrate wifey's forty /h/h/h , umm milestone birthday. The GBP to $ rate was $2.01 per GBP.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Scott_Hower said:
tony barnhill said:

I feel your pain. I took me, wife and two kidlets to London a month ago to celebrate wifey's forty /h/h/h , umm milestone birthday. The GBP to $ rate was $2.01 per GBP.

Yes, me too. I was back there a month or so ago. My family all live there, and were highly unsympathetic to my complaints about the exchange rate. My brother-in-law asserted that "the dollar has been over-valued for years and year: it's about time it came back to a reasonable level!"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh. Bro-in-law lookin' to make a holiday visit anytime soon? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

We'll see how it goes with Mr. Brown as th' Helmsman. Tho it appears he'll keep up the "momentum".

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
DrEntropy said:
mehheh. Bro-in-law lookin' to make a holiday visit anytime soon? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

We'll see how it goes with Mr. Brown as th' Helmsman. Tho it appears he'll keep up the "momentum".

Not sure why Tony stepped down: he seemed to be doing a fine job from where I was sitting (5000 miles away)!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

but we're treading into a territory we needn't trod unless/until we do it face-to-face. Th' Boss'll spank us...
My knuckles still smart from th' last go. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Well, I have a Grant GT,12in dia,if your interested, its like new and came off my 76Midget.Bought it yrs ago, and took it off when I sold the MG. Let me know.

Blair?? we learned to like him in the USA....so he had to go.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Hi!

This looks very interesting ... what about the hub: would you part with that as well as the wheel? Is it a Grant 6560 hub?

Sorry for missing this post: somehow I didn't get a notification.

Best wishes,
Julian

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Fits - but 12" is gonna make an MGB hard to steer at slower speeds - & you won't be doing any parallel parking!

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
tony barnhill said:
Fits - but 12" is gonna make an MGB hard to steer at slower speeds - & you won't be doing any parallel parking!

I better start going to the gym and doing some benchpresses :smile:

Anyway, with the Grant adapter I suppose I could always change to a larger diameter Grant wheel if the 12" proves too difficult.