• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Steering wheel question

DrBill

Freshman Member
My fellow listers,
I'm thinking about changing the standard steering wheel on my 1960 3000 to a wood wheel. Any suggestions as to best one? How about size? I see Moto lita, Derrington, Les Leston, but is there a "proper" choice here? Also, what do I need with it? Hub? Horn button?
Another question is whether the wheel is adjustable. It looks like there is a boss on mine which should turn, but I can't get it to budge. Were the adjustment rings standard on these cars?
What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
Bill

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
I carry a 4x4 and knock on it before I put it behind my tire on a hill when my car stops working....
just for good luck of course.
good luck Bill.

Country flag
Another possibility:

https://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/wheels

The stock wheels are either 16" or 17" in dia. (don't know for sure). If you go with a smaller one the steering effort will be increased some, but your knees will thank you.

The wheel may or may not come with the hub--if not, then reuse your current one--all the the other h/w can be reused.

If your steering wheel is adjustable there should be a knurled, black bakelite collar behind the hub (around the column). If it's there and won't turn it's likely stuck. Apply your favorite penetrant and try again, or let it sit, then wrap with a heavy cloth, vinyl or leather and use big channellocks. IIRC, it's a normal, R/H thread but it's oriented backwards.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Bill,
I believe the Derrington steering wheel was offered by Healey as an option when new - think I have read this somewhere. The 100S has a wood rimmed wheel with both slotted and large spokes with holes in the flat aluminum spokes being reported as correct. I have used both the Mota Lita and Moss knock off branded as a Tourist Trophy. The Mota Lita spokes are in the correct position where the TT wheel they are not. So I would pay more for the Mota Lita if you are not going for the actual Derrington wheel which is pretty costly. The hub kits from Moss are excellent and will fit either of the above wheels. Like Bob says above you will enjoy the smaller diameter. Stick with 15 inch as have seen a 14 inch on a BJ8 and just looks too small.
Regards,
Mike

sfovc2003

I just ordered a 15" whell from Moto Lita. The stock wheel is 16 1/2". It's a tight fit for me with the stock wheel (I'm 6" tall, 185 lbs.), so I went with the smaller size. Moto Lita has wheels for AH 3000s that are adjustable.
There was a recent thread on this started by me.

OP
D

DrBill

Freshman Member
Thanks, guys. The info is a big help. Sounds like I'll need the hub kit when fitting a wood rimmed wheel. Does the original horn button fit?

Bill

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bill, Here is a wonderful step by step instruction that explains how to remove the steering wheel with out pulling the entire shaft. There should be enough slack in the electrical wires to allow you to pull out the control head far enough to unfasten the wires. I installed a 15" Moto-lita with the slots and positioned the spokes in the same orientation as the original wheel, that is with a single spoke pointed straight up. That way you can see both the speedo and tach.

https://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/trafficator.html

OP
D

DrBill

Freshman Member
Rob Glasgow said:
Bill, Here is a wonderful step by step instruction that explains how to remove the steering wheel with out pulling the entire shaft. There should be enough slack in the electrical wires to allow you to pull out the control head far enough to unfasten the wires. I installed a 15" Moto-lita with the slots and positioned the spokes in the same orientation as the original wheel, that is with a single spoke pointed straight up. That way you can see both the speedo and tach.

https://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/trafficator.html

Wow, just what I was looking for, Rob. Thx!!

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Derrington was a speed shop selling various goodies in the 50s and 60s but I believe the famous Derrington wheeles were in fact made for them by Moto Lita.

I've just purchased the 15 inch Moto Lita wheel with the three equally spaced slotted spokes. You'll need to buy a boss from them whether you are going keep your trafficator or not. My car already has an indicator switch wired up to the dash board so this time I'm removing my trafficator and installing the Moto Lita brushed metal centre and horn push which looks really clean and neat IMHO.

Fitting it is the job for this weekend.

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
tahoe healey said:
The main reason to change to a wood wheel is that when you think your Healey is running perfectly you need some wood to knock on.

Now that was funny.

Country flag
Check out the Lempert wheels before you do anything, they are great!

Larry

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bob

[quote it's a normal, R/H thread but it's oriented backwards.[/quote]

Bob, it's 8 years since I did my last one and I vaguely remember having to unscrew clockwise.

Just to clarify - is that what you mean when you say its a R/H thread oriented backwards?

In other words. When I'm sitting in the drivers seat looking down at the screw do I turn I turn it CLOCKWISE to UNSCREW?

Needless to say mine is stuck, and I really dont want to force it in the wrong direction.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
DerekJ said:
Bob

In other words. When I'm sitting in the drivers seat looking down at the screw do I turn I turn it CLOCKWISE to UNSCREW?

Needless to say mine is stuck, and I really dont want to force it in the wrong direction.

Correct, sitting in the driver's seat, you turn it clockwise.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
DerekJ said:
Thanks guys. Tomorrow I get to work with the pipe wrench!!

A strap wrench would be better, but if you do use a pipe wrench, put something between the jaws and collar so you don't make a mess of it.

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
:iagree:I agree with John, Strap wrench is the way to go. Worked great for me, a little PB, a gentle tap or two, and the strap wrench made quick and easy work of it.

Jeff

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
DerekJ said:
Thanks guys. Tomorrow I get to work with the pipe wrench!!

:savewave:

:nonono:---- :nonod:

Gonna chew it up!!!!-------Keoke :laugh: