• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Steering wheel question

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Is this steering wheel stock for a '73 MGB GT? Or is it from an earlier model year?
263436291_16a30efea1.jpg

Thanks!

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
My '74 has a similar wheel, but the spokes on mine are not drilled. The horn push is the exact same as Charlotte's. Hope this helps!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's a '71 - '72 wheel, possibly early '73...the '73 North american had long slots that were cut open....your wheel, the "finger trap", was replaced somewhere aroung the end of '72, beginning of '73

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Thanks Tony et al,

I'm becoming convinced that a previous owner made several period changes to my car, which was made in April '73. The carbs are apparently earlier, as is the steering wheel, and so is the grille, which is (as far as I can tell) vintage '69 or so. Interesting!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Julian, Dont get discuraged about some items being questionable on your car. Remember that it is over 30 years old and it's common for some changes to have been made over the years. Get it running right, pretty it up and enjoy the experiance of driving it. Also give yourself a pat on the back, as you have helped preserve another piece of automotive history. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:seconded:

LBC's were meant to be ~driven~, not fawned over. As long as they're finding their way into the hands of those who will keep 'em on the road, there will be parts and support aplenty.

And when gasoline is outlawed, We'll convert 'em to HYDROGEN!!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmmm... hydrogen you say... HHHhhhmmmm...

I just read recently and even saw a short look on "Fifth Gear" at a new "green" Lotus Exige. They converted an Exige to run on Ethanol, and made the car ~scream~ like a banshee while they were at it. They made it produce more power than any of their current production cars. Unfortunately, it seems the car is purely a technology demo/proof of concept type thing...

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
hmmmm... hydrogen you say... HHHhhhmmmm...

I just read recently and even saw a short look on "Fifth Gear" at a new "green" Lotus Exige. They converted an Exige to run on Ethanol, and made the car ~scream~ like a banshee while they were at it. They made it produce more power than any of their current production cars. Unfortunately, it seems the car is purely a technology demo/proof of concept type thing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too suprising really. Ethanol has higher octane and therefore can deal with more compression/boost what have ya. Did they mention anything on the decreased range of the ethanol car if it used the same size fuel tank? Though Ethanol has a higher octane, it contains less energy by volume so it takes more of it to produce that power.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Volitility is everything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Isn't there an issue about ethanol causing premature corrosion on some internal engine parts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif PJ

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, they did mention that the travel range was reduced... but I don't think they mentioned by how far.

I'll have to see if I can find it again and post a link to it.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there an issue about ethanol causing premature corrosion on some internal engine parts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif PJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Ethanol is a wicked solvent. You should see what it does to the inside of fiberglass fuel tank in a Bertram yacht. Mush. Which then finds its way into the engine and destroys it too.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ethanol is a wicked solvent. You should see what it does to the inside of fiberglass fuel tank in a Bertram yacht. Mush. Which then finds its way into the engine and destroys it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.... M.... G!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. No benzine ring polymer is safe!