• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Steering Idler problem

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
After complete disassembly, cleaning, new oil seal, new gasket and reassembly, my 66 BJ8 steering idler binds. The shaft seats nicely, and rotates freely until I put the cover on. Anything more than finger tight on the bolts results in the cover binding on the top of the shaft. I tried each position possible for the cover, and added an additional, home-made, thicker gasket, to no avail. There was no shim at disassembly, and none shown in the service parts manual. The top of the shaft sits proud of the idler body just enough to touch the cover. Any ideas? Thanks.

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Well, as usual, I should have researched this forum first. Looks like the answer is the obvious, stacking gaskets to adjust end float.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I don't know about the BJ8, but earlier cars used selective shims/gaskets to set the end play to near zero but not binding. You may be on the right track but still need more gasket thickness.
D

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Shims would be nice, but I haven't seen them advertised or mentioned as available. I do note that in the Moss catalog, the number of gaskets required is "A/R" which leads me to beleive that the gaskets were used as shims.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Cutlass,

I cut several gaskets of various thickness to get the "zero" end float the workshop manual calls for. I've heard the original gaskets were layered .. you would continue to peel off layers until the fit was just right. Nice trick, eh? With any method, it's good to use Hylomar on all the gasket surfaces.

Cheers,
John

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Make sure that the gaskets/shims follow the outer contour of the housing & do not cut across the center bearing area of the idler top. The lid itself should be the bearing surface for the top of the idler shaft. Not the gaskets. If the gasket is between the idler top & the lid, it will quickly wear out & increase the clearance.
D

cutlass, believe it or not when i rebuilt mine i needed such distance i used a piece i cut out from a "dell" mouse pad, been just over a year and works just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
The funny thing is that there was only one seemingly thin gasket when I took it apart. And then it worked fine. I'll start with five of them now and work my way down.