• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

steering box and idler removal

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just wondering if it is indeed necessary to remove the steering wheel and withdraw the steering column in order to remove the steering box and idler from the car (BN6)?
Thanks

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep Nevets and the grill too.---Keoke

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Keoke...I had a feeling that would be the case. Wonder how involved steering wheel, trafficator, column, wires, etc. is going to get.

Ray Smith

Jedi Hopeful
Nevets,

I recently went through this drill. It really is not as difficult as it might seem. The Bently manual gives very good detailed directions. Would suggest that you take pictures along the disassembly process. Copious notes will also help.

If encounter problems, I am sure that the guys on this site will assit.

Good Luck,

Ray

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Nevets, Do you have a shop manual to follow? if not a bit of guidance will be provided and state whether you have an adjustable or fixed steeing wheel.---Keoke

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keoke...
Yes I have "The Complete Official Austin-Healey 100-Six and 3000 1956-1968" by Robert bentley. There seems to be another Bentley shop manual that is slightly smaller and has a different cover...don't know if the content is different? Maybe I need both?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK Nevets, if you get in trouble just holler some one will help---Keoke

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Keoke...it's good to know I have a safety net out there. Kudos to Basil for making this terrific site for all us like minded Brit car enthusiasts. Like they say..."it takes a village".

PS - I have a fixed steering wheel.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Nevets,
The steering wheel may be a "little" difficult to remove. Dont damage the shaft or nut threads in the process.
D

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Dave...I am almost ready to embark on this project. First I need to determine whether my problem will require removal of the steering box and idler. I understand there are adjustments that can be made without major surgery. If I do end up needing to pull everything out, what special tools should I have handy and where can I obtain them? such as steering wheel puller, steering lever separater, etc? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Nevets,
You didn't really say what problem you are trying to fix.

There are adjustments on the steering box that will usually remove the play. The one on top removes worm to peg play. Tighten it down but not so tight that the steering binds. The steering shaft, part that the steering wheel is attached to, is adjusted by removing shims under the end cover. This shaft often has too much end play.

You should be able to turn the top adjusting screw down tight enough to
cause bind in the steering. Then back it off very slightly. Next, for
what it's worth;
------------------
To quote from the shop manual - "Loose steering is invariably attributed
to end play of the inner column, which can be rectified by the removal
of shims located behind the steering box end cover plate, in a manner
already described.

To check for this end float, disconnect the side & cross tubes from the
steering lever & turn the steering wheel partly to the left or right
lock. Then with the steering wheel held to prevent it from turning,
endeavor to turn the steering lever. Should the steering wheel have a
tendency to lift, it may be assumed that there is end float of the gear"
-------------------
There are a bunch of other places that could be worn. Check all of the steering linkage joints. You may have a combination of steering problems.

You can remove the Pitman arm from the box with a good standard type puller.

On the other hand, the non-adjustable type steering wheel is sometimes very hard to get off. There are two problems. First, the top threaded end of the hollow shaft has a thin wall & is easily damaged. The part where the top nut fits is larger in inside diameter than the portion lower down. A stepped peg which fits inside the larger diameter & contacts the smaller thicker walled lower diameter will provide a surface for the puller to work against.

The second problem is that there is no good way to get a grip on the wheel with a puller. Something like a split clamshell is required to bear against the back side of the wheel hub. The puller will pull against the previously mentioned peg on top & the clamshell on the bottom. I have attached a pic of the factory puller for reference.

If you are lucky, the wheel will come off easily.
D

Attachments

• 107034-Steeringwheelpuller.jpg
    107034-Steeringwheelpuller.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 424

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nevete, The following special tools will be required: 1} pack a small lunch, 2}Agood pitman arm puller, 3}A pickle fork or preferably a ball joint breaker avail from VB.4} A long card board tube that can be split in to lengths and also length wise so you can cover the freshly painted steering box tube and it will not get scratched up when replacing.5}Maybe a pint to wash the lunch down.-Cheers---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dave and Keoke
Thanks for the information. The problem with my steering is that the steering wheel turns in either direction a bit to far before the front wheels respond, so that when I am driving, I am often moving the wheel left or right to keep the car tracking in the intended direction. It's also noticeable with the car parked...grab the wheel and there is excessive play. It sounds worse than it actually is. I can manage the lunch and pint, but are pitman arm pullers readily available? Thanks again guys.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
N,
I would be very surprised if the adjustments mentioned above don't correct the problem. No need to pull the steering gear or Pitman arm, unless you "really just want to". Chances are, 10 minutes worth of work would fix the problem. I won't bother you any more.
D

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
no bother Dave...it would be great if the fix is a simple matter. I'll try the easy stuff first. Thanks for the help.