• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sprite rust

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What Rick said. Someone did something strange with the rocker just behind the front wheel--it has been badly repaired at some point. Expect other bodging elsewhere.

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
for the $500 sale price, WHY NOT?!??!!

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
FYI. There's a Spridget specific forum here as well.

The term "Spridget" does not register with most people.:hammer:

(and is why I've suggested changing the name of the forum)

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
for the $500 sale price, WHY NOT?!??!!

Sprites that aren't bugeyes are still relatively inexpensive and the adage of buying the best one you can afford certainly applies. The $500 is only the price of admission to what is likely to end up as a rather expensive restoration. The cost of metal work and paint will put the buyer of this car upside down very quickly unless they are a skilled enough do-it-yourselfer to do all the work on their own and want to take on the challenge. Paying another couple of thousand dollars to find a solid shell makes a lot more economic sense.

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Let me clarify - the bits that are viewable in the photos (or referenced in the prose) are, individually, worth $500 or more. Simply stated, I have bought less for more. Granted, it may be more of a project than someone is willing to take on but, at a minimum, a great donor vehicle for a "rust free" tub. Just my $0.02.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Mig wire is cheap (mig welders are even relatively cheap these days!) if you have the inclination it is doable, but would be a lot of work. Even in my neck of the woods, not hugely populated, and in the rust belt, Sprites and Midgets are still relatively plentiful and cheap. Out on the east coast is certainly rust belt area as well, but there still should be better cars (maybe one you can patch here and there instead of reconstructing the bottom third, and based on what it looks like that is probably what you would have to do) you can turn up with a little looking. I would certainly look at and test, where applicable and if drivable, the engine, tranny, interior, and front suspension. If two out of the four are in good shape worth the price if you are thinking of picking up a Sprite project.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D For Sale 1958 Bugeye Sprite Austin Healey Classifieds 3
CARSINC Progress On My 1965 Sprite (update) Spridgets 3
Bayless Onslo the Sprite runs Spridgets 4
F Sprite Gearbox Spridgets 5
CARSINC Sprite bonnet emblems Spridgets 4
George Zeck SOLD!! 1964 AH Sprite MKII Spridgets Classified 0
apbos New long term project. Sprite powered rear engined race car. Spridgets 9
drooartz A disassembled sprite takes up a lot of space! Spridgets 30
CARSINC For Sale Sprite Shift Lever Spridgets Classified 0
CARSINC For Sale Sprite Front Wire Wheel Hubs Spridgets Classified 0
CARSINC For Sale Sprite Differential Spridgets Classified 0
CARSINC For Sale AH Sprite Axles and Hubs Spridgets Classified 0
Bayless What size battery for my '67 Sprite? Spridgets 5
CARSINC 1965 Sprite Bugeye Spridgets 5
CARSINC Sprite Electrical System Information Spridgets 2
Boink 3D Sprite Model Spridgets 3
A Sprite Tacho Spridgets 2
BJ8Healeys Location of VIN tag, 1964 Sprite HAN8L43421 (I know it's stamped on the frame. Looking for the tag.) Spridgets 8
S Calling All Spridget Owners & Race Fans - Sprite Turns 65 Spridgets 3
Bayless How does '67 Sprite top attach to body? Spridgets 3
SNClocks Moss Motors 5-speed install in a Bugeye Sprite Spridgets 2
adcronin For Sale MGB Turn Signal (lights, horn, indicator) Switch, New for 62-67, also Sprite MK 3 & 4, MIDGET MK 2-3 thru 67 MG Classifieds 0
D Whitworth on 59 Sprite. Spridgets 11
N For Sale Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite Spridgets Classified 0
D Sprite Model Identification Austin Healey 2
S Sprite Fuel Pump Upgrade Austin Healey 1
C For Sale Center wiring harness for a 1959 Sprite Spridgets Classified 0
Bayless My primrose Sprite Spridgets 3
C Removing AH Sprite Mk 1 windscreen washer pump Restoration & Tools 2
Bayless A Sprite gets some paint finally Spridgets 2
N Sprite "Ribcase" Transmission Austin Healey 3
shadowfever Wanted Need a Sprite Mk II bonnet Spridgets Classified 1
T Wanted Bugeye Sprite RHD tonneau cover. Austin Healey Classifieds 0
tr6nitjulius For Sale 1967 Austin Healey Sprite Mark 111 Spridgets Classified 0
johntennyson Anyone Know These Guys? Or Remember Sprite-Midget Owners' Group? Spridgets 29
J Wanted 1960 Sprite Bonnet Spridgets Classified 3
J Wanted Austin Healey Sprite Bonnet Austin Healey Classifieds 4
apbos New/Old wheels for my Speedwell Sprite. Need Center Caps Spridgets 13
SD Bugeye For Sale 59 sprite Spridgets Classified 9
R Has this ever happened to you? Any odd Sprite story... Spridgets 8
A Early 1967 AH Sprite - installing steering column and new directional switch? Spridgets 0
Pythias Sprite Winged Bonnet Badge.... ANYONE? Spridgets 16
Editor_Reid FIRST Sprite For Sale Spridgets 1
lbcspinners New article today from Hagerty Media: the Austin-Healey Sprite Austin Healey 0
equiprx BUG EYE SPRITE, One of a kind print, Signed by the photographer Austin Healey Classifieds 0
S For Sale Early Sprite & Midget Speedometer/Tachometer/Generator etc. Spridgets Classified 2
BJ8Healeys For Sale Midget/Sprite nose section - used [Moss Motors P/N 455-145] Spridgets Classified 0
Kurtis Bugeye Sprite front frame rail horn replacement Spridgets 5
B Bugeye Sprite Wiring Diagram Spridgets 1
C Seat Cover Bugeye Sprite Mark 1 Spridgets 5