• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Sprite Rear Axle with Wire Wheels

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I received some great assistance from friendly Sprite folks at Carlisle this year. Was having a problem with rear axle on my 1960 Sprite. Turns out that the car had been converted to wire wheels without changes to the rear end so the axle does not fully engage/slid into the diff due to axle length being used to slide into the wire wheel hub. I found a machine shop that can remedy the problem (puch out axle, re tack weld, machine off splines so the bearing can fit). My question - how long should the reset axle be? Does someone have a non-wire axle that they can measure (rear of hub to the end of the axle)? Any help would be appreciated.

Rut

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Mike,
you can add about 1/2" to each axle. What type of problem are you having? This is a pretty common sway with few problems.
Rut

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
I received some great assistance from friendly Sprite folks at Carlisle this year. Was having a problem with rear axle on my 1960 Sprite. Turns out that the car had been converted to wire wheels without changes to the rear end so the axle does not fully engage/slid into the diff due to axle length being used to slide into the wire wheel hub. I found a machine shop that can remedy the problem (puch out axle, re tack weld, machine off splines so the bearing can fit). My question - how long should the reset axle be? Does someone have a non-wire axle that they can measure (rear of hub to the end of the axle)? Any help would be appreciated.

See my Tech link "Spridget Specs" under the "Specs" drop down menu. Scroll down to last section "Rear Axle Assembly". You will see overall width is 1 inch less overall.

https://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/tech.htm

OP
M

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am getting a "pinging" noise in the rear on start and acceleration. Ruled out bearings, wire wheels, springs and diff.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
How about tightening the spring mount plates behind the seat and two that need to be reached from underneath on each side. Was certainly an issue on my '68.

OP
M

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am getting a "pinging" noise in the rear on start and acceleration. Ruled out bearings, wire wheels, springs and diff.

OP
M

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It is clearly coming from the rear end. Occurs when I let the clutch out on start and lower gears and is just a single metallic "ping".

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
It is clearly coming from the rear end. Occurs when I let the clutch out on start and lower gears and is just a single metallic "ping".

That typically comes from a worn hub splines or broken/loose spoke. It's very hard to localize, but I've only hear tat noise on wire wheels cars. If you tighten up all your spring and axle attachments and it doesn't go away, go back to looking at wheels/hubs.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I How do I remove a rear axle in a bugeye sprite? Spridgets 27
TRopic6 For Sale Used Armstrong Rear Shock Set; AH Sprite / MG Midget, 1958-70 Spridgets Classified 0
L WTB - rear leaf spring, late model Sprite / Midget Spridgets 8
PHerder ? about the rear section of the cockpit on a 1966 Sprite MkIII Spridgets 9
longbridgehealey sprite emblem on rear deck Spridgets 21
M Sprite/ Midget rear end Spridgets 9
abarth69 Square body sprite with Bugeye rear bumpers Spridgets 14
S Sprite mark 4 rear brake shoe springs Spridgets 4
TexasSprite Question about rear hood seal on a Sprite Spridgets 1
Jayrz Bugeye rear onto square sprite? Spridgets 4
Z Adjusting Rear Drum Brakes 64' Sprite Spridgets 9
SD Bugeye For Sale 59 sprite Spridgets Classified 8
R Has this ever happened to you? Any odd Sprite story... Spridgets 8
A Early 1967 AH Sprite - installing steering column and new directional switch? Spridgets 0
Pythias Sprite Winged Bonnet Badge.... ANYONE? Spridgets 16
Editor_Reid FIRST Sprite For Sale Spridgets 1
lbcspinners New article today from Hagerty Media: the Austin-Healey Sprite Austin Healey 0
E BUG EYE SPRITE, One of a kind print, Signed by the photographer Austin Healey Classifieds 0
S For Sale Early Sprite & Midget Speedometer/Tachometer/Generator etc. Spridgets Classified 2
BJ8Healeys For Sale Midget/Sprite nose section - used [Moss Motors P/N 455-145] Spridgets Classified 0
Kurtis Bugeye Sprite front frame rail horn replacement Spridgets 2
B Bugeye Sprite Wiring Diagram Spridgets 1
C Seat Cover Bugeye Sprite Mark 1 Spridgets 5
Ljohns New Midget/Sprite Fuel Tank Austin Healey Classifieds 1
T Wanted Smiths fuel gauge for Mk 1 Bugeye Sprite [FG2530/31] Spridgets Classified 1
jlaird 1960 AH Sprite Spridgets 96
C Wanted WANTED Heater fan motor and housing for 1964 MK3 Sprite Spridgets Classified 2
Upland 69 Sprite drum brake adjuster Spridgets 7
S For Sale Austin Healey Sprite and MG Midget Factory Body Parts Manuals - 1958 - 1974 Austin Healey Classifieds 0
S For Sale Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite MK 1 Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM Austin Healey Classifieds 0
S For Sale Austin Healey Sprite and MG Midget Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM – 1962 - 1974 Spridgets Classified 0
S For Sale Austin Healey Sprite and MG Midget Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM – 1962 - 1974 Austin Healey Classifieds 0
pbraun Wanted 3.9 diff for sprite Spridgets Classified 3
Upland Sprite seat back rake Spridgets 0
Mick2me For Sale Various MG Midget/Austin Healy Sprite parts for sale [approx 1964] UK only Spridgets Classified 0
Mick2me For Sale Various MG Midget/Austin Healy Sprite parts for sale [approx 1964] UK only MG Classifieds 0
G Wanted ISO Gearbox for 69 Sprite, 1275 engine Spridgets Classified 2
N Please help --- New owner of a 1958 Austin Healey Sprite Spridgets 4
Pythias Bugeye [style] gauges in a Box Sprite? Spridgets 13
O Sprite Petronix Electronic Ignition Spridgets 10
dougie '67 Sprite Streamliner at Bonhams Austin Healey 20
A For Sale 1965 Sprite Spridgets Classified 2
tr6nitjulius Supercharged Sprite @CCBCC All Brit 7/14/19 Spridgets 0
V Sprite woes Spridgets 11
Bayless What size fuel line for '67 Sprite? Spridgets 2
anarchy99 Help with new [old] Sprite hardtop Spridgets 17
Bayless More Sprite progress finally Spridgets 23
F Austin Healey Sprite MK I - master cylinder cap Austin Healey 1