• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire Engine Surge

doates

Hi Again,

I have been able to temporarily empty and seal my floats; hopefully until new ones arrive.

I have been fighting an engine surge (70 Spit) for a couple of months now. At idle it surges from 800 to 1000 rpm's every couple of seconds. It does not start surging until the engine gets hot. I have set timing to 6 degrees BTDC, adjusted carbs to their initial settings per Haynes and fiddled with them until it sounds like they are sucking the same amount of air (tube in ear) numerous times with no success. It starts great and idles well until it gets hot. When driving it around the neighborhood it seems to lack power and I can feel the surge (not as extreme as at idle). I have sprayed the carbs and all intake joints with carb cleaner and it does not cause a change in idle.

I just took my distributor apart and it looks pretty clean inside except that there are two different sized springs inside. Is this normal? Very little play in the shaft.

After only a couple hours of running the cap and rotor show some wear and crud build up on the terminals.

The plugs are slightly sooty but not extreme.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks...Dennis

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
200 rpms suggest 2 things, at least to me. Either the Vacuum Retard is acting up or the Throttle Bypass Valve is floating.
The only part that doesn't fit into either Scenario is the correlation to temperature.
There is a Temperature Compensator, but I've never seen it make that much difference in engine speed whether it was fully open or fully closed.
And yes, there are 2 different springs on the centrifugal advance weights.. The engine has to be beyond idle speed, though,for them to even start doing their job.

OP
doates

doates

Good News - I got the engine to purr at 825 RPM's. The bad news is that the timing is at 28* BTDC. I had never heard of "vacuum retard" but is mine acting up and what do I do about it? I will take it around the block tomorrow to see if it will actually get up to the speed limit.

Thanks for any suggestions

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Your timing mark must be wrong. I don't believe a 70 Spit would have vacuum retard anyway; according to the factory service notes it only had an 'extended' advance curve so the timing could be set retarded at idle.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Spitfire Triumph Spitfire 1300 engine SU carb problem Triumph 10
Darwin Wanted Spitfire engine needed Triumph Classifieds 0
B COMPLETE DROP-IN Rebuilt 1975/6 MG Midget 1500 engine PLUS rebuilt Spitfire Overdrive trans NEVER INSTALLED Spridgets Classified 2
F Spitfire Triumph Spitfire , what fuel to run Her on with no engine history? Triumph 11
R For Sale 1975 Spitfire engine Triumph Classifieds 1
H Off Topic Nifty Time-Lapse Video of Spitfire Engine Rebuild Triumph 2
B Spitfire Advice on swapping to J Type OD with 1500 engine in 69 Spitfire Triumph 13
TR4A_IRS Spitfire Great deal on a Spitfire engine Triumph 4
Johnny Spitfire How to rebuild a Spitfire 4 cyl engine in 45 sec. Triumph 2
T Spitfire Help, Lack power on spitfire 1300 engine Triumph 12
luke44 Spitfire Spitfire Engine Rebuild- Great Video Triumph 2
S Spitfire Question on VIN and engine number for spitfire Triumph 5
jollyroger Spitfire GT6 engine in 76 Spitfire, source for trans cover Triumph 6
F Spitfire 1500 Spitfire Engine Noise Triumph 14
B Spitfire 1980 Spitfire engine block color Triumph 14
dklawson Spitfire Ping Andy Mace - Spitfire Engine Number? Triumph 5
T Spitfire TR4 engine in a spitfire Triumph 26
eejay56 Spitfire Spitfire engine question Triumph 4
dklawson Spitfire Spitfire Dry Engine Starts-Need Smoke Explanation Triumph 3
S Spitfire Rear engine mounts - Spitfire Triumph 2
B Spitfire Decipher this Spitfire engine and a push rod query Triumph 3
Bruce_B Spitfire Spitfire Engine Type? Triumph 5
M Spitfire spitfire 1500 vs MG Midget engine Triumph 8
B Spitfire Advice on Spitfire engine Triumph 4
cutlass29 Spitfire spitfire mk3 rear engine oil seal Triumph 1
D Spitfire Engine or Gas additives to Spitfire? Triumph 16
Z Spitfire Spitfire engine removal Triumph 8
motzart007 Wanted In search of used seats for 1969 Triumph Spitfire MKIII Triumph Classifieds 0
B For Sale GT6/Spitfire License Plate Light Assembly Triumph Classifieds 0
A Spitfire Spitfire Diff Pinion Seal? Triumph 2
3798j General TR Spitfire up in the Tree Triumph 2
tr6nitjulius General TR 6/24/23 TRIUMPH TR6 (5) TR8 (2) Spitfire (1 RHD of 2) TR3A (1) Triumph 0
E Spitfire '69 Spitfire hard top Triumph 2
D For Sale 1966 Spitfire 4 MK 2 for sale, Triumph Classifieds 1
R For Sale Spitfire MKIII projects Triumph Classifieds 0
G Spitfire Spitfire 1500 differential whining Triumph 6
T Spitfire Spitfire MK2 Clutch Hydraulics Triumph 2
A Spitfire Spitfire Fuel pump issues Triumph 5
P Spitfire 1979 Triumph Spitfire starts then runs rough Triumph 2
Lairhead52 Wanted 78 Spitfire instrument panel lights / lenses Triumph Classifieds 3
D Spitfire 1980 California Spitfire, Help Figuring What To Do With It? Triumph 15
W Spitfire 1975 Spitfire 1500 shifting problems when hot Triumph 8
K TR2/3/3A Mystery Clutch MC? Spitfire....TR4....69-70 TR6??? Triumph 2
K Spitfire 1978 Spitfire possible Vapor Lock? Triumph 16
R Spitfire Turn signal wiring Spitfire Triumph 5
S Spitfire Spitfire 1296 engines Triumph 1
D Wanted WTB: Late Triumph Spitfire Top Frame Triumph Classifieds 8
C Spitfire 1967 Triumph Spitfire Triumph 2
Dnickels Spitfire Spitfire mk2 front suspension too soft Triumph 2
T For Sale One Owner 1969 Spitfire for sale Triumph Classifieds 0