• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedo/Tach questions and needs

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well, I have my Bugeye tach converted to an RVC and I'm working on my speedo trying to clean it up. I broke the spindle shaft when removing the needle and somewhat repaired it using a donor tach. I am in need of a Bugeye speedo in good working condition and I have a good housing,bezel...just need the guts. I also remember a thread showing the conversion to LEDs and a general refurbish of all gauges, but can't locate it. Please pass it on if you find it.
Thanks, Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Painting inside of cans bright white does help.

I did go the Sigma Bicycle Digital Speedo route in addition to Analog Speedo. Mounted to bottom of mirror bracket provide perfect spot for mounting without need ot look into cockpit. Becomes an almost heads up display and is totally correct every time. Total cost to purchase and set up < $50. Plus a fun engineering project. I added a better Reed Switch $2.49 and JB Welded a button magnet $1.59 for 20 magnets to outside of rear drum. Some wire and a piece of 6 " bar stock bolted to the spring U bolt for reed switch to mount to and you are done. Details e-mail me if interested.

dklawson

Yoda
I have a Sigma in the Mini as well. It is a great reasurance. As Jim said, highly accurate and inexpensive. All it lacks is a backlight. OK... some have backlights but they only stay on for about 3 seconds when you push a button... and that runs down the coin cell battery inside. I have a small LED pointed down at mine to light it at night.

SigmaBC1600L.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Doug, that one is on my "Roundtoit List"

LED source is from?

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
here's a thought.. the garmin has speedo etc. so why couldn't that part of the unit be put into a bike style unit for the above mentioned purpose.. I have a Garmin which I use as my speedo and according to radar its right on!.... and the way I push the speed laws that's real important...

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
This only costs $20-30 depending on where you buy it. Also mounts as you can see really easy to mirror bracket and it's really small. But right in visual sight range so I don't have to look into the cockpit.

With wire, an updated Reed Switch I bought 2 of for $2.49 along with a pack of button mangnets $1.49, piece of 6" long x 1" wire x 1" bar stock from hardware store, some JB Weld, and some misc wire you are < $50 installed.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The LED Addition that is switched is nice as well. Too many other projects on the roundtoit list. Including fixing my Brake Master which gave me a really scary semi-spongy pedal. New hoses and brake master ready to go in as soon as I get roundtoit. Now if I can fit that in before wife has met start the bathroom remodel project.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
To much to do and not enough of me. We haven't finished our little lake cottage project and she's already planning on applying "skills learned" to remodel the main bathroom. Fortunately I'm only responsible for floor and wall tile work not getting the old tub out or plumbing changes. She never seems to run out of projects. But the cottage looks fabulous. Now if we had time to use it. Tempus Fugit!!!!!!! Got to find time for Bugsy!!! Almost 75 and sunny in Dayton today and Bugsy is stuck in the garage.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Answer... Hire the remodel guy! Just like on HGTV.. Happy Wife..Happy Jim...and most important Happy Bugsy!!! Heh when you have time look at Speed Nut Inc. There GPSer's have a WOW look... Yes two hundred but... by the time of the crap with the wires etc etc... What's our time worth??

dklawson

Yoda
An acquaintance of mine in Canada installed the Speed Hut gauges. He is very pleased with them. They don't quite have that classice Smiths look though. Nor are they as inexpensive as a bicycle speedometer.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm e-mailing them inquiring about a special run with the BE face etc. They already have the font type (computer generated) and size handled.. even the half bezel is correct! This could be the answer for everyone but the very few... Just think if you have a different tranny...no nothing...if your painstaking trying to do the above disection..nana...Who wouldn't pay two bills to make this headache go away. The only item that they couldn't do would be put a Smith's logo on the facia... And we know how to solve that...

dklawson

Yoda
Very true. In the scheme of things it is a small amount to pay for a universal speedometer.

I am from the dark ages and still don't have a GPS. My wife has an older Tom Tom. On a few trips it has totally lost its signal. I assume that newer GPS units don't have this problem and that this would not be a problem for the Speedhut units. I would sure hate to find myself in court trying to explain that I was speeding because my speedometer lost it signal.

nomad

Yoda
dklawson said:
Very true. In the scheme of things it is a small amount to pay for a universal speedometer.

I am from the dark ages and still don't have a GPS. My wife has an older Tom Tom. On a few trips it has totally lost its signal. I assume that newer GPS units don't have this problem and that this would not be a problem for the Speedhut units. I would sure hate to find myself in court trying to explain that I was speeding because my speedometer lost it signal.

Well, I'm trying to get into the 21st century and do have a garmin. Can't be beat for replaceing a non working speedo and I believe I would be afraid to venture into the modern city to find someone without it.
Out here in the wilderness it is still possible to occasionally loose the signal though I've only had it happen breifly.

Kurt.

dklawson

Yoda
I would like to think that GPS units have improved since my wife's Tom Tom was made and that signal loss is very uncommon now. It was frustrating to lose signals on some of our trips.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
My son gave me a Tom Tom about 3 years ago and it works sitting on the center console of my van. It captures the signal very well and rarely loses it. My 2 complaints are that it does not have all the roads in its data base and the screen is out of calibration and I don't know how to recal. I have Garmin units on my boats and they work perfectly, but no roads out there!
On this GPS conversion of a Bugeye speedo, would that retain the original face and needle or would it be digital?
Thanks, Rut

dklawson

Yoda
I don't know that I would refer to this as a GPS conversion of a Smiths gauge. From their web site it appears that what they do is offer different basic products. You choose one that is closest to what you want (diameter and full scale MPH sweep). Below each gauge's entry on the web site is a "customize" button where you can tell it the font you want and other details of the design. I am sure that for the right money the will do almost anything to make the gauge you want. It looks like pricing for the 4" speedometers starts at around $280

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Exactly, the idea would be to make the odd shaped BE face doable along with the 100mph calabration....Heh, just brainstorming guys! I imagine the order of business is to get enough preorder committments that they would see $$ signs... and they could and would do it. The issues aren't electronic but instead machine related I'm speculating.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
FYI, from many circles, Tom Tom is trash. Garmin is the winner.. But that doesn't enter into this discussion. The issue is the signal from above..and that has been steady for years.