• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedo Cable Replacement. How?

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Sticking with my New Years Res, I'm digging into why my Speedometer has stopped working. Well... I know why now... Busted Cable :frown:

1st, I know they break, so whats a good trusted place to get a new one, that will last, from?

And 2nd, how do I replace this thing? I got up on the stands to look at the angle drive and where the cable connects from the under side, and it looks like I've been working out too much... as my chest hit the bottom on my car. Thus, I have no room to do it myself... unless I can get to it from inside the car. Is there some easy-peasy trick to replace this cable that I don't know about? Put jack stands on just the passenger side and get smaller arms maybe?

Behind the Speedo
1267733047.jpg

The snapped cable... well... 1/2 of it :frown:
1267733049.jpg

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Another +1 for BPNW! $21.60 for a new one!

dklawson

Yoda
Hopefully I will be proven wrong, but at least on the non-OD gearboxes you probably need to remove the tranny tunnel to get to the gearbox end of the cable. If there's a way to access it without pulling the tunnel I'm picturing child labor due to their relatively small arms and hands.

swift6

Yoda
Unless you have the hands of a 4 year old girl, you will need to take off the trans cover on the non-od Spitfires, even then they might not be small enough. I put one on a lift to look at it, much higher than taller jack-stands, no help at all. I seem to remember the exhaust being in the way. Pull the trans cover, pretty easy to do actually, and its right there next to the front of the passenger seat, easy peasy from there.

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
TR3driver said:
Or, you can build 'cheater' platforms from wood. Mine are 4 pieces of scrap 2x4.

That just sounds scary!

dklawson said:
... on the non-OD gearboxes...
swift6 said:
...on the non-od Spitfires...

I have OD. Can I pull the trans cover on mine and get to it anyways? It looked to me like it was too far back, but I really don't know how long that cover is. It sure seems like that angle drive the cable connects to was about a foot back from the stick. That angle drive also angles Down and towards the passenger side at about a -30 degree angle before its 90 degree that the cable attaches to. I'd love to get a picture of it but I just don't have the room.

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
pete,

something to note from a spitfire fourm i read, Check the length of the new cable against the old one. Word is that the new cables are a tad too long and have been causing issues with the right angle drives and the speedo units.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not only that. The ends are too rounded and can spin in their holders.

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Don_R said:
Check the length of the new cable against the old one. Word is that the new cables are a tad too long and have been causing issues with the right angle drives and the speedo units.
DNK said:
Not only that. The ends are too rounded and can spin in their holders.

Yikes... if either of these are the case when the new one arrives, what do I do?

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pete, IIRC the length waas off about 1/8". I think it was for replacement cables and using your old cable sheath.

The length was juust enough to let the cable bottom out in the speedo and right angle drive. It may cause the speedo to jump and/or make the cable bind up and break.

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Don_R said:
Pete, IIRC the length waas off about 1/8". I think it was for replacement cables and using your old cable sheath.

The length was juust enough to let the cable bottom out in the speedo and right angle drive. It may cause the speedo to jump and/or make the cable bind up and break.

Oh ok. Thank you very much for the clarification. I ordered a new cable in a new sheath.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
pjsmetana said:
Oh ok. Thank you very much for the clarification. I ordered a new cable in a new sheath.
Dunno if it's been a problem on Spits, but on the big TRs, the new inner cables are sometimes too long for the new outer sheaths. I've also seen the collar that locates the inner cable be out of place, and hold it too far into the head (which can rapidly ruin the internals).

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
pjsmetana said:
TR3driver said:
Or, you can build 'cheater' platforms from wood. Mine are 4 pieces of scrap 2x4.

That just sounds scary!
It's actually quite stable. Wood is surprisingly strong in compression, and the 2x4s are laying flat on the floor so loaded only in compression. I even used some wood cheaters under the motorhome once, and they did fine; just some small dents where the jackstands rested.

OP
pjsmetana

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
New Cable (in its own sheath) arrived today. How do I tell if this is too long/short or not square enough?

Can I just compare the old cable ends to the "square" shape to see if thats ok?

Both ends look like equal length protruding from the sheath ends. Should I measure anything?

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pete,

as randal mentioned, it may not be a concern for the Spit. Since you have the speedo out, I would hook the cable up to the speedo and make sure there is some freeplay in the cable (collar end).