• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spark Plug life

JohnB

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
After reading Randall and Kevin's comments on spark plugs in the "choke linkage" thread, I'm curious as to what kind of life the rest of you get from your plugs and what brands you all prefer.

I'm running NGK B6HS but only have 450 miles on the rebuild so far, and it's been over 30 years since this engine last ran. Back then I think I ran Champions.

What's the consensus out there? What's best nowadays and how long should they last?

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
I run NGK BP5HS in the 3A - one grade hotter than the old leaded fuel plugs. Found they stay a lot cleaner than standard plugs on 95RON premium unleaded (no E blend/standard engine).

The plugs are replaced at each annual service, so I can't say what mileage they might be good for. The TR hasn't exceeded 6,000 miles in any one year.

Ditched Champions about 10 years ago for good reason and I wouldn't bother trying them again.

Viv.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have had plug problems with engines on their last legs (fouling and detonation will drastically reduce plug life). If your motor is in good shape, and good tune they should last years and years, and a few years after that.

Of course some of us will replace them every year or two just because they are relatively cheap and it is just a habit with tune ups.

D

Deleted member 8987

My Flatheads and my Jag came with Champions, that's all they get.
NO Japanese plugs in them, ever.
I replaced the plugs in the Jag three years ago when I got it, 11,000 miles since, still work just fine.

tomshobby

Yoda
When I had Triumphs in the 60's and 70's I spent a lot of time tuning and maintaining just because I wanted them to run at their best at all times. I was finding that the plugs were not eroding the same from plug to plug. Then I found one of these tools and that problem was solved. I somehow lost the tool and when I got my TR6 several years ago I found the same problem and found another of these tools on ebay. Again problem solved. Plugs wear even and car runs better.

To use it I first open the gap past the required gap setting. Then place the plug in the tool and squeeze the handles and the plug is ready for the car. The gap between the electrodes is flat and parallel and the same from plug to plug.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
JohnBazzano said:
After reading Randall and Kevin's comments on spark plugs in the "choke linkage" thread, I'm curious as to what kind of life the rest of you get from your plugs and what brands you all prefer.

Some years ago, Ken at BFE reported finding more power on the dyno with Bosch WR7BP plugs in a modified TRactor motor. He said he didn't believe it either, so they switched back and the power dropped again. I've been mostly using them ever since (although I've certainly never noticed any difference in power).

Don't honestly know how long they last, since I'm not sure I've ever worn out a set. But I've run them 20,000 miles and couldn't tell the difference with fresh plugs. Of course, that was also with a CD ignition, they might not do as well with points. The MSD 6 also had a tendency to cause excessive gap wear with conventional plugs.

Since I've been running a stock ignition in TS13571L, it's all coming back about how picky points are. Last week I left the hood up for a few minutes in the rain, and the engine flat refused to start even after wiping off the cap & wires. Closer examination showed a spark jumping between the cap and one of the clips! Installed a new cap and it fired right up. Now it starts easier than ever.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
...and yet I always go <span style="font-style: italic">back</span> to Champions! :wink:

Hah hah, me too. I am such a sentimentalist that I use Champions, Castrol & Shell just because of all those race course signs from years ago. I'd probably use Duckhams too if they sold anywhere I shop.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Tom Who sells that spark plug gizmo I'd like to buy one.No Harbour Freight or Flaps up here in the frozen North. What is it called anyway?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes I use champion plugs also. I have tried a lot of brands and I think the champions give the best performance. They have a kinda short life, maybe a year, but I do not blame the plug; I blame the traffic and the fuel. Hey Tom, I am intrigued by that tool. How much and where do you find it. I was putting plugs in the other day and noticed how un-parallel the gap was and was thinking of doing something like that with some pliers
Steve

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Quick search on eBay found two of them. (how busy am I today) Looks like a NLA Snappy.

tomshobby

Yoda
Was just out clearing snow so I didn't know you were wanting to know about the gapping tools but I see you figured it out. There are two kinds. One has a graduated thickness wheel and the other, like mine, has the flat blades. I prefer the flat blades over the wheel.

tomshobby

Yoda
Hi Ken,

Started raining early this afternoon and changed to snow. Got a couple inches of really heavy wet snow then it went back to rain. Thought I should get that mess cleaned up and it started raining again as I finished. Snowing again and the prediction is for a couple more inches. Shirley has been at work clearing the walks at school. Have no idea when she will be home and she will be back to work about 3 or 4 in the morning. She appreciates her job, is extremely dedicated, and works very hard. She also understands what our governor needs to do and agrees with him. She is not one of the screaming me me's and I am very proud of her.

Sorry for going off topic.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well you guys I won that bid on the plug gaper on EBay for 20.00, but the guy says it will cost 22.50 to ship it from Ontario to Seattle because it needs some kind of special shipping? Does that sound right? it took a while for the guy to invoice the item and I think he is a new seller, but ?
Steve

D

Deleted member 8987

International, and Customs declarations.
Not sure it's THAT much, but it isn't cheap, either.
Dave

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Is that a different figure than the stated shipping price? Can't do that. If it wasn't stated then your kinda stuck.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
42.50 total Tom. Is that a good price? That is kinda why I wanted you to chime in, to let me know the value. I have noticed that they refer to it as an antique somewhere? The shipping was one of those I will let you know how much after you win. I have spent 42.00 on a lot dumber stuff.
Steve