• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sometimes my car ownership timelines bunch up....

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
...all at one spot.

Well, it happened such that I had purchased my first 1966 Sprite in late May. I didn't know anything about these cars other than I wanted one. A week later, I got word of another, restored 1966 Sprite for sale at a car show on the other side of the state. Being the painfully curious type that I am, I drove up to check out this car, thanks to the excellent forethought of my contact who had taken a photo of the car's For Sale information with his camera phone!

The car checked out as amazingly rust-free, clean, and painted a deep red.

Fast forward to tonight, and I have two 1966 Austin Healey Sprites in my garage (in one stall, ha!)

This thing is just beautiful to me. I love the tonneau cover and it came with a new, uninstalled top as well as the original top.

578885309_94b0d14c1d.jpg

It's sort of a surreal feeling to see two of em sitting in there. Unfortunately the first one must go to fund the partial purchase of the latter (as well as free up space for my 1954 Ford sedan...) I've posted it in the classified section on here, but don't imagine any of you are in the area /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

578884467_30e1c7f5bf.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nice. The "newer" one is absolutely charming!

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Technically it is newer by serial number /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

It sits higher in the front and the restoration guide mentions that this series got longer front springs or something, which may be why. I'm not sure yet.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
May be the springs are newer, too. Only real check would be to measure free-length... too much bother! DRIVE it and ENJOY! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Lol, that one stall is bigger than my whole garage.
Nice looking cars

mark

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mine too, Mark.

But I can PILE stuff higher. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

V

vagt6

You are a lucky man!

Drive and enjoy your Sprite as much as possible. Lovely little cars, one of my favorite LBCs. Looks like you found a nice one (i.e., one that some other poor sould has poured sweat and money into)!

Too bad you aren't closer to VA . . .

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice find there, that's a pretty Sprite! Drive it in good health. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

BTW: Nice W650. Never should have sold mine...

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
I love my W650 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I've had it since 2001 (I was only 23 when I got mine, so I'm kind of a weird breed. I have goofy taste for someone my age.)

The only reason I'm selling the first Sprite I got is that I also have a 1954 Ford Sedan that I'm storing off site now that my garage is filled up (my wife gets the other side.)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You're just a PUP!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

...but you've got GREAT taste in vehicles. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Luke_Healey said:
also have a 1954 Ford Sedan that I'm storing off site now that my garage is filled up (my wife gets the other side.)

Ahh, a man wise in the way of women. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I was 31 or so when I got my W650 (in 2004), sold it to finance the LBC hobby. Should have kept it, very neat little bike. I'd buy another, no question.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I want to see a pic of the Ford.

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
You asked and shall receive:

It's just a '54 Mainline fordoor with an 223ci inline six. I love driving it as is, because it's straight up authentic 1950s. I hate rodded and customs usually because a small block chevy engine in a ford just makes me cry inside...

It's nothing fancy schmancy and I drive it as is, rust and all. The tubed motorola AM radio still works and keeps me company.

104061614_741272c282.jpg

104061255_aa4173a9be.jpg

I had the hind end hand striped on the trunk lid, but that's about it for customizations at the moment. I have a Clifford 4bbl intake for it, but haven't bought 3-3 split headers yet, so I can't mount it up until then.

83657453_825d773c0e.jpg

Country flag
Sweet! My dad builds street rods, but he has real disdain for SBC and crate motors. He doesn't like "catalog" street rods. His latest is a 1939 Buick Coupe with a 455 Buick GS engine on a modified Regal frame/suspension. It would have been much simpler to do a SBC with a front sub-frame with mustang II suspension, but that would have been too easy and predictable.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What a marvelous ol' boat!!! Three speed column shift?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Me mum had a '49 with that setup. Da always had Lincolns. She got a shiny red '61 Falcon after the wheels irreversibly fell off the Ford. It was a six with a column shift 3-speed as well.
Said she'd not want to be regarded as "shiftless" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I learned to drive in the Falcon. Took the "test" in a '61 Lincoln. Scared to death at the SIZE of that boat. Passed in spite of it, tho.

Morris

Yoda
That Ford is beautiful. I especially like the center mounted forward rocket launcher. Many people prefer the dual rocket launchers of that era, but the single is much easier to aim at commies, giant ants, alien monsters or what have ye.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lovely, just lovely. Brings back so many memories.

Mine was that year as well, a sunliner with a lincoln V8 in it and a complete custom.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice, simple and original. You've got good taste. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif