• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Some Thoughts Entering the New Year

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
My first thought is just a hope--that the young folks in this country do something to make sure our best days aren't the ones all in the past.

OKAY, got that out.

My second thought is that our Triumphs must really be running great. The number of posts by persons with any kind of serious problem, rebuild issue, no start, sudden stall, major electrical mishap, etc., seems to have really dwindled. What's going on out there? I'm wondering if all the good teachers here have passed along so much knowledge that we've made mechanics of nearly everyone. I, for one, am still a student.

Finally, it seems there's been a lull on Ebay for the really well restored cars. I'll check now but it's been dismal. Dreaming of more cars in the garage keeps many of us going, even though in some cases one more vehicle could create a situation of the most dangerous kind.

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can say for me the project is in a stalled status. I have tackled a new job and with travel to check on family the time has been very slight. The weather is a factor as well because my garage hovers around chilled beer temperature.....great if your thirsty but not much fun while trying to do car work.
The budget took a hit for Santa to buy presents....ok.

But I hope to be posting really simple questions again soon. Thanks

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Three follow-up thoughts:

1. a hope that us "older folks" take the lead in inspiring the young folks to create for the common good, and not just imitate for self-gratification.

2. our Triumphs may be running great - or just taking a winter break!

3. if ebay is listing fewer well restored cars, it may be that buyers don't go to ebay for well restored cars any more. They just find quick and dirty re-spray jobs, or way-overpriced bait and switch items.

But in general, I personally think 2013 will build on the experience we've built up in prior years, and show us a better future.

Tom

M

Member 10617

As for our Triumphs just taking a winter break.... I certainly hope you are right.

My personal experience has not been so encouraging... I've been driving my 58TR3 up and down the roads of the Valley of Virginia for three or four years now. And in all that time, I have encountered another TR3 only TWO TIMES! (Perhaps I am looking in all the wrong places....) Moreover, all the antique sports car owners I know about are all... well... antiques themselves (like me), and most of them have parked their cars in garages and never get around to driving them much any more. Bottom line, from my (limited) perspective... there are fewer and fewer Triumph (and other vintage LBC ) owner/drivers out there... so there are fewer to have serious problems with these cars... so there are fewer to post queries on forums like the BCF.

I hope I haven't overstated this... but I think the population of LBC enthusiasts, like the population in general, is graying. Young people just don't (a) have the interest in these cars, (b) don't have knowledge to keep them running, and (c) don't have the money to keep them on the road. (In fact, the number of young people buying or driving cars of any vintage is declining, according to published reports).

I hope I am wrong....

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ed - that's why I posted my #1 above. Get more young folks interested in these cars. The young guys I work with don't have a clue about how cars work - you open the hood today and all you see are black boxes. When I show them my TR, they're fascinated. Distributor, coil, carburetor, plugs, clutch (!), etc. Took one for a ride and he had a blast. He asked if he could drive it. I said "be careful - it doesn't have power brakes". His response: "what are power brakes?" (he's never known cars that don't have them)

One of those young guys asked if he could help me work on my car. He came over and helped me bleed the brakes, take a cylinder compression reading, and clean/gap the plugs. He was totally fascinated - and asked lots of good questions about how those things work. That's a GOOD sign!

Here's a point to ponder: in thirty years, how will you patch up a failing oxygen sensor or electronic idle control unit on a 2010 vintage car (if they're still around)? Will there be a few companies (like Moss, VB, TRF, etc.) that manufacture old electronic on-board devices?

Tom

M

Member 10617

Tom,

My hat is off to you! What you describe doing with some youngsters is exactly what all of us should do if we are inclined or have the opportunity. I do think the numbers are limited, but that's no reason not to try. I have suggested a number of times on this forum that we need to encourage youngsters to develop an interest in these cars.

As for your last point, my friends and I have often brought this up and have concluded that there simply won't be any (or many) of these modern cars on the road in 30 years. Perhaps some of the more exotic and high-priced ones will be in "collections" or museums, but probably not "on the road."

I feel certain that you, like I, love to look at LCBs in museums and private collections -- all new and shiny and beautiful.... But even more, I love to see them on the road with people enjoying them.

Circling back to KVH's opening post.... the issue of "problems" with these cars may be one of the keys to their being avoided by many. I don't know how many times people have said that they would love to have one of these cars, but that they would never have one becasue "they break down by the side of the road all of the time." Put in shape and properly maintained, I have found that these cars are quite reliable. I have "broken down" (blown radiator hose) only once, and that was repaired by the side of the road in a few minutes. If a modern car goes down... forget trying to fix it youself by the side of the road.

And if that doesn't reassure those who are hesitant, they should remember that AAA doesn't discriminate. They will haul your 2010 or 1958...

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Finally, it seems there's been a lull on Ebay for the really well restored cars. I'll check now but it's been dismal.
You mean you've seen a really well restored car on eBay?
:devilgrin:

As for the rest of it, I think it's just the usual winter lull. Lots of folks don't do much with the TRs when there is snow on the ground.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I keep dreaming of that '64 or '65 Spa White TR4 from Virginia that went to Greece and then was resold again. That was an absolute gem. I might do something impulsive if that one shows up again!

As things would go, four hours after after my earlier post, my TR4A wouldn't start. The battery is only 4 months old, but the car had sat for nearly 4 weeks. But, still, that shouldn't kill the battery! I was driving for an hour before that happened, and I'd think the generator would have charged it up (though the heater and lights were on). I'm going to run a voltage test on the generator and see if that's the problem. This has been going on--off and on--for awhile now. Once I thought I had a bad ground from the battery but I don't think so now. I either have a bad solenoid (which I'd doubt) or something messed up in the ignition or generator. It "suddenly" started after I hit the key five times, so I guess that could be it. Who knows, but now I've scared off the young kids again:smile:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Note to KVH: check the low voltage (thin) wire from coil to distributor. It can come loose at either end. Car will crank, but won't start. Ask me how I know ...

Tom

M

Member 10617

One thing that turned youngsters on to Triumphs in the early days was the movies. TR3s appeared in beach movies and in many French movies (of all places). The only Triumph that I have seen recently in a film was the animated TR2 in the "Adventures of Tintin." I wonder if that will have any influence on potential owners/drivers.

.... Think what would happen if Agent 007 were to drive across the screen in a TR3....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Do you mean it cranked but wouldn't start; or that it wouldn't crank?

FWIW, I've been having problems lately with the TR3 not wanting to crank after being parked for over a week. I think I must have something that is draining the battery but only at certain times (since I checked and there is no current draw with everything turned off). Many years ago I had an Audi 100LS with a similar gremlin, that was eventually traced to the relay for the rear window defog grid. In the evening, when the dew formed, the moisture on the relay base (apparently combined with salt spray or some sort of contamination) would conduct enough power from the always hot relay terminal to the (effectively open circuited) switch terminal to pull in the relay. I probably never would have found that, except one evening I happened to walk by the car and see the indicator light on! Replacing the relay solved the problem for as long as I kept the car.

PS, I just remembered the motorhome had a similar problem, that was just mud caked around a terminal (it carried the batteries under the body somewhat exposed to dirt from the road). When it got damp, the mud would conduct just a little bit of current, which would eventually discharge the battery.

Some stereos also draw a small amount of power all the time, which over a matter of weeks can drain the battery.

Last edited:

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's odd, but I replied to this yesterday and I got a blip on my screen that the post had been deleted. My touch pad acts a little weird sometime. I don't see the post in my history.

My excuse for not posting any recent questions is that I've been good at putting off the most time consuming aspect of the TR3 restoration, the final prep for paint. I think I finally have the metal 'bumped' back into position and need to start the 'skim coat' to hide the remaining dimples, welds, scars etc. I'm sure my questions will resume once I get paint on.

I don't know how to get younger people interested, but think the numbers will decline anyway. Every life ends. All we can do is enjoy it while we can. We have no control of what happens to our hobby when we are done with it.

M

Member 10617

Texas....

You are right, every life ends. But these cars can go on and on... I'm just hoping we can prevent many of them from becoming dusty museum items or, worse, parts of artificial reefs off the California shore. In the meanwhile, as you say, we can enjoy them while we can.

Just north of where I live is a large building which contains a convenience store, an antiques store, and a "car museum." The museum is open only when someone wants to visit it, which seems to be very seldom. I went in once, the owner had to turn the lights on for me, etc., etc., and there I saw dozens of beautiful Corvettes, beautifully restored and maintained, and a few other 50s cars -- no LBCs however. I wandered around by myself looking at these magnificent automobiles and felt like I was wandering around in a graveyard. Ugh!

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Do you mean it cranked but wouldn't start; or that it wouldn't crank?

No it just flat out won't crank. I get a click like a dead battery. I wait a few seconds and if I'm lucky it starts. Something's definitely whacked. That battery isn't that old. Nothing is drawing current as best I can tell. But something is wrong. I doubt it's a dead spot on the starter, but only because whenever I pulled it back in the day, the shop laughed at me and told me to stick it back in and look elsewhere. Should probably put this in a separate post.

M

Member 10617

JP,

The "museum" is near the Raphine exit on I-81, you can see it on the right (going south) as you drive down the Interstate.

One correction... I said that I saw "dozens" of Corvettes.... I actually saw about a dozen Corvettes.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Ed,

Is that Eavers Classic Cars and Collectibe Museum at the Mint Spring exit (217 on 81)? https://www.eaversclassiccarmuseum.com/

That's only 5 miles south of Staunton but I actually haven't been to it (and haven't heard much about it).

Scott

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
In the past, I have had starting solenoids go bad. Measure the voltage across the contacts while trying to start the engine. The voltage should be very low, if the contacts are in good condition.

M

Member 10617

Hi Scott,

You are exactly right. It is Eavers Classic Cars Museum. I was there yesterday to get some gas, but I didn't go into the museum. As a matter of fact, I haven't been in the museum for probably five or six years.