• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Soldering Bullet Connectors

OP
af3683

af3683

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Don, Thank you. What I actualy beeing doing is heating the bullet, filling the bullet with solder, and then sticking the wire inside, and letting it cool. I've noticed that if I heat the bullet with the wire already in it, the entire wire tends to get really hot, and I'm afraid that I might damage what's at the other end of it. I'm sure I just need more practice. Thanks for your help.

Art

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I just run a length of bare wire out the end of the bullet and solder there. After I trim the excess wire and dress the tip with a file. Pretty good grip that way and good electrical conduction too I think.

Some bullets may require that you drill out the hole a bit larger for the gauge you are using (easily done as they're brass). I also scuff the inside of the tip a bit with a round file or drill bit but no idea if that is really necessary.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Art,if you are using stock wire that is bound to happen. caution on the heating part.
Using flame or an iron?

OP
af3683

af3683

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I just bought a cheap iron from Walmart which seems to heat up pretty well. I learned that the hard way! I also have one of the old fashion soldering guns which for me is a pain to use. Thanks for your help.

Art

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Art- Go out and get the butane powered torch. The only way to solder

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Geo Hahn said:
I just run a length of bare wire out the end of the bullet and solder there. After I trim the excess wire and dress the tip with a file.
That's what I do too.

What worries me about the method given in the Advance Auto Wire directions is that it seems to assume that the wire is too large to fit through the small diameter bore of the bullet. That means you are basically making a butt joint between the wire and bullet, which is not a good idea, IMO. You want the copper part of the wire to fit snugly in the hole, but go all the way through it, for maximum strength.

I might try the butane pencil, but I've been doing them for years with my antique Weller soldering gun. Generally, I clamp the wire in the bench vice so the bullet is touching the jaws, which helps prevent damage to the insulation (the vice jaws act like a heat sink) as long as I make the joint quickly. And to make the joint quickly, I get the gun hot first (touch a little solder to it) and then press it against the tip of the bullet so it's in contact with both bullet and wire. Only takes about a second, so get off quickly, and it won't melt the wire.

If it does, cover the evidence with a bit of heat shrink.
grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I tin the wire end first, that makes certain the solder is well into the multi-strand and helps make the rest of the operation go very quickly.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If it does, cover the evidence with a bit of heat shrink.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, heat shrink tubing. The amateur solderers best friend. I know that it's mine! :yesnod: