• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Soft Top Zippered Window

Lutz Kramer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I’ve just restored the top frame and the drain channel of my AH 3000 BJ8. I ended up in a problem with my old soft top, especially with the way the zip window is integrated in the soft top.

When I bought the the car three years ago I found that the soft top hadn’t been mounted correctly by the former owner. The rear end was not fastened to the rear trim rail which is again fastened to the drain channel, because all these part were not in place. Somebody just left it off, because they might had been totally corroded. They wrapped the soft top around the chrome bow (Moulding?) which sits on the rear shroud and cut about 2 inches off from the soft top. Unbelievable!

In the meantime I have lengthened the top by adding some material at the rear end. But now I’m not quite sure wether that part of the soft top that overlapps the zip must not be fitted to the top at its very far end, like it is right now. The place is marked on the drawing with the words "stitch down". This way the water that runs down along the zip is gathering in a kind of slot or sack an cannot be drained.

To give you a better understanding what I mean, I added a drawing and some fotos:

IMG_5074.jpgSoft top.jpg

Maybe somebody has a foto of this area or knows how it should look like.

Thank you for helping from Germany.

Lutz

Last edited:

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Zipper on back plastic window disintegrated. Needs replacement. Went to car upholster. He's "wondering" how to repair. I thought ? there might be an easier way to remove the entire top, including the frame, rather then unscrewing and ungluing (wood bar at the front) the top from the frame. Is that the only way? Any tips on what and how to do? If I have to go the more difficult way, how do I remove the glued portion of the top where it joins (glue? and screws) with the front wood bar without damage? Thanks your anticipated help.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Zipper on back plastic window disintegrated. Needs replacement. Went to car upholster. He's "wondering" how to repair. I thought ? there might be an easier way to remove the entire top, including the frame, rather then unscrewing and ungluing (wood bar at the front) the top from the frame. Is that the only way? Any tips on what and how to do? If I have to go the more difficult way, how do I remove the glued portion of the top where it joins (glue? and screws) with the front wood bar without damage? Thanks your anticipated help.
BJ8?

OP
Lutz Kramer

Lutz Kramer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Now it's been some years ago since I painted the frame of my soft top and had to replace the rear window, which I did by myself. As far as I remeber I had to unscrew the wooden bow at the front end of the top from its metal frame. Once you have done this you can remove the venyl top from the wooden bow which it is glued to. If you ar lucky you will find the old glue from the factory, which shouldn't make to much problems removing the top from the wood. But if the top was glued with Pattex, for example, you will likely destroy the top when you remove it.

I have attached an old "Top BJ8 Installation Instruction "which I have found and also attached some pictures from my car while I was working on my top in 2016.

Good luck!
Luz

Attachments

• IMG_4729.JPG
    IMG_4729.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4763.JPG
    IMG_4763.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4764.JPG
    IMG_4764.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4765.JPG
    IMG_4765.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4911.JPG
    IMG_4911.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 63
  • BJ8 Top Installation Instructions.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 75

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
When I replaced my top, I stapled the top material to the bottom of the wood. I've found over the years the material stretches and will sag. The fix is to undo the material at the front wood, pull it taught then reattach. Much easier with staples.