• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So, why don't I post more often???

Gene

So, why don't I post more often???

First, I want to say that my experience has been that everytime I set out to express something like this, someone gets mad. It last happened in the Ejag list. However, since you took the time to ask, I'll take the time to answer. Please also note that this is just MY answer - not necessarily a suggestion for the forum.

With a little self analysis, I have learned that I am not really interested in "idle chatter." I don't even like it at ****tail parties - much less on the internet. So, I don't want to take the time for a message to load that tells me about some guy in Pittsburg who picked up a girl in his Ejag nor some guy in Missouri whose neighbor's son once owned a Jag. I was particularly turned off in the Ejag mailing list (to which I have "unsubscribed") by all those (usually the same people) who would respond to such stories - some just saying "Attaboy" or "I agree with you" - while my browser continued downloading 60-80 messages a day.

I once complained about such messages in the Ejag list and got flamed! Later, I suggested that the list be converted to a format like your British Car Forum. I even cited the Corvette forum as an example and, alas, another similar forum on model trains. I pointed out that one could simply go to one page (not download 60 messages!) and look at the subjects and only open those that interest him. Again, I got flamed - big time! One person even suggested that I go off and play with my model trains (He later nicely apologized!)

But, therein lies the answer to the current proposition - I visit the British Car Forum from time to time and usually find nothing that interests me. Meanwhile, I have become a devotee of Dan Mooney's "Team CJ Cafe." The forum is wonderfully free of "idle chatter." Almost every post is a substantive Jaguar issue. Some are quite technical but many are simple questions about such things as fluid/lubricant choices or minor mechanical issues being experienced. There is usually a quick answer from another forum participant and, if not, Mooney provides the answer.

So, I will continue to visit the British Car Forum from time to time and, when I see something of interest, I will post a response. When I have a "substantive question," I will probably go to the Team CJ Cafe - maybe I will start to double post those to the BCF.

Gene
74 E Type O2S

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I appreciate the honest answer Gene. Of course it is hard to compete with someone like Dan Mooney who sort of has a captive audience and a single focus. I admit we are trying to be more broad than that. But as you pointed out, with a forum like this, at least you can "filter" the posts that you read by looking at the topics and only reading those that interest you. This allows for both technical posts and general idle chatter (some would call it camaraderie), and the member gets to choose. Anyway, we value your input and, unlike your treatment on certain lists, I'm not about to flame you for expressing your honest opinion. Mutual respect is the key here.

Thanks,
Basil

A

aerog

Originally posted by Basil:
I appreciate the honest answer Gene. Of course it is hard to compete with someone like Dan Mooney who sort of has a captive audience and a single focus. I admit we are trying to be more broad than that. But as you pointed out, with a forum like this, at least you can "filter" the posts that you read by looking at the topics and only reading those that interest you. This allows for both technical posts and general idle chatter (some would call it camaraderie), and the member gets to choose. Anyway, we value your input and, unlike your treatment on certain lists, I'm not about to flame you for expressing your honest opinion. Mutual respect is the key here.

Thats one of the reasons I like this type of forum software/presentation over the mailing lists. I've been a member of several different types of mailing lists in the past and got fed up with the sometimes HUNDREDS of silly messages that flooded my mailbox constantly. I don't mind the banter, but it was a huge effort to manage it all on my level. Here you can ignore things and move around more freely, seeing what you want to see, ignoring the rest.

------------------
-- Scott
https://www.aerog.com/mgpage
tinytd.jpg

OP
G

Gene

When I started this string, I actually had two motives - I wanted to tell you why I don't post more often but, honestly, I thought it would trigger a lot of discussion on the topic.

I'm surprised - the people here are the opposite of the "motor mouths" on the Ejag mailing list. I guess I have to judge that as "good!"

Gene

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Originally posted by Gene:
When I started this string, I actually had two motives - I wanted to tell you why I don't post more often but, honestly, I thought it would trigger a lot of discussion on the topic.

I'm surprised - the people here are the opposite of the "motor mouths" on the Ejag mailing list. I guess I have to judge that as "good!"

Gene

Give it time Gene - as we get more members you will find all types...which is why I created the "Free for All" forum. By the way, this thread, being off-topic for Jaguars, gives me an opportunity to try the "lock and more" feature of my UBB software. You will see this thread still in the Jag forum, but it will have a "padlock" sysmbol on it. I have moved it to "Free for All" so that if you wanted to reply you would have to go into that forum.

When we get many many more members (and we will), I may even do like the Corvette forum does and have a Technical section and a General Chit-Chat section.

Basil

[This message has been edited by Basil (edited 08-28-2001).]