• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So, I put my money where my mouth is.......

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
And tagged and registered the 93 XJ40 I bought from a customer a couple of years ago. I bought this car for a grand, with 71K on it. It needs an AC condensor, which I will do in the spring. Otherwise it is in nice shape. I tell alot of my customers to pick these cars up as they ARE great cars (not as good looking as the ones that came before perhaps) and CHEAP. I had planned to sell it on, but it is a "Base Model" with no sunroof or seat heaters, and I have had no takers. I hate to see it just sitting there, so I decided to make it my daily driver.Nothing like a Jag for a beater....My Audi has reached the ripe old age of 21 this year, so I am getting "Historic" tags for it. and giving it a well deserved rest for a bit. (Of course today, for the first time this winter it snows.) I still like the quattro better, but commuting daily in it is beating it up. So, another Jag in the family, and I will see how that does.

V

vagt6

Sounds like you got a great deal there, Jesse. Commuting in an XJ40, random people are going to start approaching you for handouts (or bailouts)!

Keep us informed, I'd like to hear how the thing holds up: cam chains; gearbox, etc.

The biggest problem is keeping that Jag under the speed limit on interstate. I don't know how you can do it! :nonod:

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Ex:

It is decided by each state what is "historic", where I am you do not need to register the car each year and get it inspected.

Pat

D

Deleted member 8987

Ah, so.
Next thing you know, Fiats will be "historic".

No limitations on mileage with historic plates?

I finally put them on my 49 Willys Wagon, as they upped the rates again.
But, I drive the 50 F-1 and 50 Tudor, plus the Mark Two too much to limit myself with historic plates here.

You actually have vehicle inspections?

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
hi Pat,

where I am they offer "antique" plates, as long as the car is 30 years old, and you only register the car once. And there are no State Inspections either, but there are Toll Roads everywhere.

but with those plates your driving is limited to Car Shows and weekends only, though I see many with antique plates driving during the week, and I have every intention of doing the same.

Technically-speaking, an "antique" is any object older than 100 years.
but we know that Antique Dealers have cut that in half to 50.
And States have cut it to 30.

And now we know that in Jess's State, Audis are "historic" at 21. the rest of us must be Pre-Historic or Jurassic.

And Jess, I know where you can go get a <span style="font-weight: bold">free MK-2</span> if you are interested. Car is in Maryland. You'll need a trailer.

Ex

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Exotexs said:
Jess,
with all due respect, what is so historic about an Audi? And certainly nothing historic at only 21 years old for heaven's sake. historic would be a 1934 Duesenberg or Packard or Bentley, but an Audi?

If your Audi is Historic at 21, what is my Jaguar S type at 42 ? Jurassic?

oh my gawd....

Ex

Not his point!

A Quattro is a rare bird now. To Hades with age, if ya ain't driven one you'll miss his point entirely.

He just don't wanna LOSE it!

"oh my gawd" indeed.

D

Deleted member 8987

You don't see Vegas or Yugos, either.

But, the lack of existing examples that have escaped the crusher/shredder makes them all the more desireable, eye guess.

But, on a positive note, you're driving a Jag now!

OP
J

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
If you check my sig, I always have a Jag around, but for the most part I prefer XJSs. As for my Audi, they only imported 50 or so (wagons anyway) each year back then, and it was 35K new, on par with a series 3 XJ6. The "state" broke my trans a few years ago by insisting that they test the emissions of my all wheel drive car on , of all things , a REAR wheel dyno. They forked over 6 grand to fix the car. By getting "historic" tags it will be exempt from emission testing. I have a real problem with letting some half trained state employee get in my car for any reason, let alone to run it on a dyno. If the dyno run is not performed correctly, it can and will damage the car. It is getting harder to find parts for the quattro, and I would just as soon eliminate the problem.

I like my Audi, it was a ground breaking car in it's day. It is big and comfortable, fast enough, economical, (24+pg in city commuting) and it has better 4wd capability than most off road vehicles (not 1 but 2 lockable differentials) Other than the paint getting old, the car is in great shape, and I just want to keep it that way.

Want to know a scary thing? The AACA accepts vehicles 25 years old and older. This year the Chrysler minivan, and Ford Taurus are eligable to be shown. I just want to preserve the Audi until it can be shown as a survivor car.

D

Deleted member 8987

Around these parts, 25 year sliding scale on emissions.
26 years old, no more checks.

I know about those transmissions....
There were others.
Had printed mandates NOT to do that here.....probably based upon your six grand trans!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
jessebogan said:
If you check my sig, I always have a Jag around, but for the most part I prefer XJSs. As for my Audi, they only imported 50 or so (wagons anyway) each year back then, and it was 35K new, on par with a series 3 XJ6. The "state" broke my trans a few years ago by insisting that they test the emissions of my all wheel drive car on , of all things , a REAR wheel dyno. They forked over 6 grand to fix the car. By getting "historic" tags it will be exempt from emission testing. I have a real problem with letting some half trained state employee get in my car for any reason, let alone to run it on a dyno. If the dyno run is not performed correctly, it can and will damage the car. It is getting harder to find parts for the quattro, and I would just as soon eliminate the problem.

I like my Audi, it was a ground breaking car in it's day. It is big and comfortable, fast enough, economical, (24+pg in city commuting) and it has better 4wd capability than most off road vehicles (not 1 but 2 lockable differentials) Other than the paint getting old, the car is in great shape, and I just want to keep it that way.

Want to know a scary thing? The AACA accepts vehicles 25 years old and older. This year the Chrysler minivan, and Ford Taurus are eligable to be shown. I just want to preserve the Audi until it can be shown as a survivor car.

:thumbsup: