• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Snap locations for BJ8 tonneau

Goldie

Country flag
I am planning on installing my new tonneau. The kit comes with 10 lift the dots, 4 Tenax, and 4 snaps. The cover is sold by Moss and was purchased several years ago. Just getting around to installing it as the post on the side window trim was incorrectly installed. I just fixed that problem and now ready to install the tonneau but want to get the snaps in the correct locations.

Country flag
If vinyl,leave in the sun. Place it on the car and use a wax crayon and feel where the posts are and mark. Harbor Freight sells a set of hole punches that do a nice easy job. If you quickly move a Bic Lighter on the hole it will bind the edges of the hole and form seal to prevent unraveling and stretching of the hole. "Measure twice, cut once". I did one side then moved to the opposite side.
TH

OP
G

Goldie

Country flag
I really need to know where lift the dot and Tenax go on the tonneau. It appears that Tenax buttons go on the 4 posts that are rear of the doors (around the back of the top. Lift the dot fasteners go around rest of perimeter and the forward flaps with small button snaps on the rearward flaps. Just want to confirm.

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am just about start the same job on my BJ8.

It seems that as you say, the tenax studs go at the rear behind the seats. Lift the dots on the dash and doors. The snaps are to secure the 4 flaps on top of the tonneau ( see my recent post)

With my kit there are also 2 large brass rings that look as if they surround a large approx 3/4 inch hole. I think this is to fit at the rear of the flap that goes over the door sides, the tenax at the side of the car then fits through this hole?

Country flag
I think you are talking about the post to the rear of the chrome fitting behind the door. The ring goes on the door flap, the tenax "snap" on the rear flap so you can fold the front in and still use the tenax to hold the rear section down. I think you got it right.

OP
G

Goldie

Country flag
I am not sure why my hardware is different from Moss but I dont have the rings you mentioned. I have 10 lift-the-dot fasteners, 4 tenax snaps, and 4 button snaps. I think I will need the male snaps which were not included. Drawing in the catalog appears to show lift the dot on two of the flaps. I assume that is to secure to the rear seat area when folded behind the front seats but not very weatherproof. I appreciate the help you have provided. Wish I had a diagram and surprised there is nothing in any of my AH books with more detail. Would like to think MOss would include a drawing with the tonneau but that never seems to be included with any of their parts. Moss TV is great for those things that they cover on the net.

OP
G

Goldie

Country flag
One last question about tonneau snaps. for the forward flaps (without slots cut, just flaps), I would think lift-the-dot snaps would go under the flap but using the Moss catalog, they show as being on the flaps. This would mean the extra tonneau material would fold or roll underneath into the rear seat area and would remain weathertight. If placed under the flaps, then I would assume button snaps would need to be placed on the flap to make it weathertight but they are not shown that way in the catalog. The 4 button snaps are shown on the flaps for the seat belt slots.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The lift-the-dot snaps go ON the flaps, and yes, the tonneau rolls into the seat area.

OP
G

Goldie

Country flag
Thanks Hugh. Now I can finish this project. Just need to figure out best way to punch clean holes for the Tenax. I have a tool for the lift-the-dots. I may have to make a cutting tool from a metal pipe with sharpened end using my grinder. I haven't looked for a 3/8 hole punch but not hopeful. Got the 4 button snaps on yesterday. Had tools for those. Thanks again for the help.

OP
G

Goldie

Country flag
Thanks for tip from HF. I also assemble golf clubs and used one of my old metal shafts which I cut into sections to make a hole punch. They are graduated in diameter so I just found the right diameter and cut it there. I sharpened on my grinder but really didnt need to even do that. Didnt need but 4 holes for the Tenax snaps so it held up enough to get nice cuts. The cover sure is tight though. It will be a bear to get on in the winter.