• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smooth case front cover

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Hi All,
i have a two part question to run past you:
1. Does anyone have a front cover for a smooth case trans they'd like to sell?
or
2. Does anyone have any knowledge/experiences putting lip seals in those front covers? moss sells a replacement front cover for the rib case with a lip seal but not the smooth case.
thanks for the help
mark

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mark,
I thought the smooth case and rib case front covers were the same. eBay had some with the additional seal, but I'm sure there are other sources.
Rut

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There is very little that is the same between a rib case and smooth case gearbox. Especially not the cover or the fork.

You can probably retrofit a seal if you have the right machine equipment, however the covers that are made to accept the lip seal are cast with more material in that area, so I think it would be a little tricky with an OEM one.

https://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/TO_Bearings/tobearings.htm

OP
M

markberry

Jedi Trainee
thanks to both of you for your replies! excellent writeup BTW on your website Gerard! sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. so i'll just throw it out there again...does anyone have a smoothcase tranny they want to part out? I'm starting to get excited about getting the car back on the road after 7 long years! I just finished the paint job last weekend. shouldn't be long now!
20140702_164527.jpg

Attachments

• 20140702_164447.jpg
    20140702_164447.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 68
OP
M

markberry

Jedi Trainee
I think I've got a smooth case cover, I'll check out in the shed tomorrow.
Thanks! I appreciate you looking. How's Davis these days? Hot I immagine! I bought the Bugeye while I was stationed at Travis and took it all apart (the first time) at the auto hobby shop there. I like that part of California.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Speaking of Davis. My daughter went to school there in the 1990's. One day she went to a place called "MURDER BURGER" for lunch and there was a stray dog hanging around. She took the dog home with her and at Christmas she brought it to our place in Bonita. When she left the dog stayed with us. We had the dog for 17 years. The dogs name was Bailey When I took her for a walk people would say what a pretty dog and ask what kind of dog it was. I would tell them it was a "DAVIS DOG" and they are really expensive. they would say how is that.
I would explain that I sent My Daughter to Davis and spent about $35,000 and I got this dog.
Always enjoyed going up to Davis to see my Daughter while she went to school there.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
In answer to your question, it's going to be 109 today. Good thing I dug through the parts shed early.
"Murder Burger" is still around, but now called "Redrum Burgers". We put both of our daughters through Davis and we both retired from Davis. They ought to name a building after us since we sure payed enough to buy one!

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Mark, I don't know how to attach photos, so if you could send me your e-mail, I'll send a few photos so you can be sure it is what you need. It's from a 948cc A-series smooth case from an Austin A 35. My email address is: grbyrns@gmail.com.
If you or anyone is interested, the gear train was smith, quiet shifting close ratio gearing if any of you smoothcase guys are interested.