• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sick Kitty

hyyal

Freshman Member
Well, for the first time since I bought her, Trixie has left me
stranded. She wouldn't start for me this morning. All crank and
no vroooom. She's been acting odd since Saturday after I put some
fuel in her. For instance, not firing up as soon as I hit the
key. I was thinking (at the time) of running the fuel down and
dumping some stuff in the tank to dry any water that might have
gotten in if I got bad gas and filling her up with some high
octane. Now, I am a little stuck and am thinking fuel
filter...fuel pump...gremlins...bad kharma....sun spots....

What's the general consensus? I really don't want to resort to
driving my step-daughter's Geo for any longer than I have to. I'm
sure you all can sympathize. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
If your intuition tells you that the problems started with the bad gas then that might not be a bad place to start. You're brain picks up on a lot more than you think and second-guessing can sometimes set you in the wrong direction. FWIW if everything else was running fine until then, I wouldn't go disturbing it until you have indeed ruled out the questionable gas as a suspect.

J

jbmason

I would check the fuel filter. If you purchased petrol at a reliable source, it is probably fine. A clogged fuel filer will cause erratic operation and even inhibit a starting. Erratic starting, gradual loss of power, non start. Clogged fuel filter.

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
I suggest if you want more definitive responses, provide the type of Jag it is, date of manufacture and other pertinent data such as mileage. Some Kities are Jaguars and others are Lions or Sianmese. There is a huge difference between a Mark VII and an XK8. Take a look at the gas going to the Carburetors or fuel rail. Is it gas or water?? Provide more information.

OP
H

hyyal

Freshman Member
Sorry Jack, You're right....pertinent info about the car just might be helpful. She's a 1993 XJ6 (XJ40) with the 4.0 engine. 127100 miles. I bought her in May for $500. Rescued from an abusive situation. Prior owner hit a deer and couldn't get her to start after that. Up till now, she's been running great, even made a couple of round trips form NC to NJ and was terrific.

Mike H

Jedi Hopeful
Check your CPS, (Crankshaft Position Sensor).
The symptoms you are experiencing are one of many ways it can fail.

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
The fuel pump and some filtering is tn the gas tank on your car. There is also a large fuel filter in the left rear suspension forward of the rear tire. Try some gas additive for water contamination and change the filter. It is possible that your fuel pump module might be getting contaminated. The tank on a neglected car can get water contamination through the fuel filler cap drain because of a clog. If this becomes a fuel pump problem, the module is EXPENSIVE and the labor to replace it is significanat. As you proceed through this excercise and it bcomes the fuel pump in the gas tank, I can offer some alternatives to the solution that save some money. The labor to replace the pump in the tank is not easy.

nicolas

Freshman Member
You can try and check the fuel out at the inlet pipe where it comes off the firewall..pump some into a glass container and look for water..it'll be discolored and it will separate after a few minutes..you'll know just by looking at it. Bad gas "water" will wreak havoc on the system/injectors If you find thats the case you'll have to drain it out, evacuate and flush the lines...dont use high pressure air it'll work but its not safe.