• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shopping for vintage car insurance for my Healey [for long road trips]

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello Healeyist

I plan on doing some road trips this coming spring and summer in my 1967 BJ8, and the vintage car insurance i currently have is basicly for driving my Healey to car shows and short weekend drives here and there, permiting me to drive no more then 2,500 miles per year. Are there companys out there that cover vintage cars for longer road trips? I currently am covered with American Collectors Insurance. Anyone care to chime in on there coverage rates and terms?

Tproject

I have Hagerty insurance and it is not restricted. For a 1964 BJ7 insured for 50K it runs about 450 a year. I would be interested in the cost of your restricted insurance since I find I don't cover more than 2,500 miles a year.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have Hagerty also, but remember, location can sometimes be a determining factor on pricing also. PJ

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello Rob,

But with the same restrictions as me! Right? No more then 2,500 miles of coffee clutching miles in a year!:driving:

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just looked at my policy and I paid $190 for $28,000 coverage. Yes I have the 2,500 mile limit. I've found American Collectors to be a pleasure to work and talk with. I haven't had a claim, but I would expect they would handle it in the same manner.
Why not give them a call and ask them what they can do to cover your road trip. I'll bet you're not the first one to ask.

OP
drambuie

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hi Bob,

Yes, i agree they are very nice people to talk with and very responsive to questions i had in the past. I do remember i tried to pin them down on the "exact" coverage pertaining to the use of my Healey. If i remember the language in the policy refers to using the car in a very limited fashon like local car shows and such. I did have a conversation on the phone with one of there staff and pressed her to tell me if i would be covered if i decided to go for a long drive for a cup of coffee on the weekend! wink, wink! and she really did not give me a postive reply one way or another.

From my personal experence, the language stated in any contract is most important and deciding factor when you are standing in front of a judge or dealing with a nasty insurance adjuster that is trained NOT to pay you! Or the least they can get away with paying on your claim, or worse not paying you a penny! and not what a insurance rep says over the phone, he said she said!

In any case, If they did lift any restrictions for long trips, they would have to write a new policy with the proper intent and language i am looking for in my new policy contract. Michael, IL.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hagerty told me they wanted me to drive my car. A friend and I both insured with them in 2008 just prior to setting out on an 8,000-mile roundtrip from NC to CA and back. When we asked Hagerty if our trip was covered, they said "no problem". So far, I haven't had a claim so no experience with what happens if I do have a claim but I am a satisfied customer at the moment. I insured the BJ8 for $45K for around $300 per year as I recall. I later added a 1973 MG Midget to the policy.