• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shelley Jack for AH 3000

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My mechanic has this old Shelley jack collecting dust and since I don't have a jack I thought I'd take it off his hands. Problem is, not only is it sans handle, it seems to be missing the top section. This is the jack he's willing to sell me for a very reasonable sum:
ShelleyJack.jpg

And here is a picture of what I think it should look like, though I'm certainly no expert so that's why I am asking you folks:
ShelleyJack2.jpg

Assuming I'll need the top half of the gear, plus the handle, is there any resource you can point me to that sells old parts like this? I'm hoping to find what I need at The British Invasion in Stowe, VT next month as there is a corral of vendors selling all sorts of old bits and pieces.

Country flag
You'll be very lucky to find the ratcheting handle w/o buying the whole jack. If you can get it a reasonable sum, grab it for parts but afraid you'll be sitting on it for a while.

Marv

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So, assuming I don't opt to spend $400 to buy a correct Shelley jack, does anyone have a suggestion as to what new, inexpensive jack I can carry just in case I need to change a tire?

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey 61TR3A,
Think a lot of owners carry a small sissors style jack in the boot. Can place it under the appropriate location and have room to actually slide it under versus small bottle jacks might be too tall.

Check out ebay, just search Shelley Jacks and there are usually several for sale. You need the Shelly jack with CA259 cast in the base, believe orange in color. I picked up the correct one for my 100M off of ebay but no handles - still looking for those.
Regards,
Mike

dphilippo

I wouldn't suggest using the original jack, those are good for concours, but not much else. They are pretty lousy to use and are often too tall to get under the car if you have a full flat. I would suggest going to Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and picking up their smallest scissor jack. They tuck very well in the trunk in the crevice under the back of the spare and actually work when you need them. I used mine about two months ago when I got a flat and it worked great.

Drew,
65 BJ8

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks, Mike. There is one on eBay that's already been bid up to over $300, but I'm not going to bother chasing after it. Too much money since I really just need a utility jack, not one for concours judging. It'd be nice if I could find the missing parts to complete the one my mechanic has as it is more correct, but as Marv said, chances of me finding those parts are pretty slim. Meanwhile, I'll pick up a small scissors jack and at least be able to change a tire in case of a flat and not have to wait for Hagerty roadside assistance.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTIN-HEALEY-30...r#ht_638wt_1065

Country flag
The scissors jack will work good for the TR3 as well. I have a Shelley jack for my BJ8 but only for show. I carry a TR4/6 jack for it (also with the TR3). Grab the Shelley jack if its cheap, have it for show if nothing else.

Marv

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Drew, do you think a 1-ton lift will be enough? That's the smallest they offer but the car is a bit heavier than that at around 2500# curb weight. The 1.5-ton model looks big: 17" long, so I'd rather go the smaller route.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I can get the incomplete Shelley jack for just $20. Even then, that's a lot of money for a doorstop.

Country flag
Get it! I'll buy it from you for $25 if you don't want to keep it. 1 ton jack will be plenty strong unless you are trying to lift whole car at once.

Marv

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
61TR3A said:
Drew, do you think a 1-ton lift will be enough? That's the smallest they offer but the car is a bit heavier than that at around 2500# curb weight. The 1.5-ton model looks big: 17" long, so I'd rather go the smaller route.

Do yourself a HUGE favor: get a geared scissor jack. Even if the jack is rated for 2K pounds or more, it's very difficult to crank if not geared; I just found out the hard way on a recent road trip in my BJ8 when I needed to change the fuel pump (I prefer to remove the rear wheel). Even though you can turn an ungeared jack, it's (obviously) much harder and if you're not on a flat, hard surface it increases the risk you'll torque the jack wrong and possibly tip the jack.

Geared scissor jacks used to be common, but I think the main/only supplier may have discontinued them. I found a new one on eBay a while back, here's a used example:

https://tinyurl.com/9vdawbv

I now have one in both my Healey and my Mustang.

Country flag
Unless you put the jack in the middle of the car, attempting to lift the entire 2500#, a 2kLb rated jack is more than enough to do the job.

I mean, generally speaking, if you're on the road, you're only trying to get a single tire off the ground...

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
61TR3A said:
I can get the incomplete Shelley jack for just $20. Even then, that's a lot of money for a doorstop.

I'm not sure I'd pay anything for it. I've never seen parts for one, so it is extremely unlikely that you will ever find the missing piece. You'd have to buy a whole jack to get the part you need, so what's the point?

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Editor_Reid said:
61TR3A said:

I'm not sure I'd pay anything for it. I've never seen parts for one, so it is extremely unlikely that you will ever find the missing piece. You'd have to buy a whole jack to get the part you need, so what's the point?
The operative word is 'doorstop'.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do yourself a HUGE favor: get a geared scissor jack. :iagree:

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I've tried searching online for them and they don't seem to be offered anymore. I just need a jack in case of a flat, not for garage use. I haven't had a flat in decades so chances are I'll manage to lift the car using a regular scissor jack on the off chance I get a flat.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
61TR3A said:
I just need a jack in case of a flat, not for garage use.

Precisely where you need a good jack. If you're on a soft, sloped shoulder, in the rain, with a wobbly car, cranking real hard on a jack that doesn't want to lift--the max rating is how much it'll hold, not necessarily how much it wants to lift--you'll wish you'd sprung for the geared one.

I got my second one from here:

https://tinyurl.com/8b72l5j

I offered $35, he countered with $37.50. Deal. Good seller.

Try your ungeared jack in the comfort of your garage, if you're happy with it, fine.

I use a floor jack in the garage.