• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Setting mixture on HS4 carbs

GaryBeu

Banned
Duh...I can't remember for sure but, is rich updown and lean up on the setting? Thanks.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
rich is down, lean is up

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Up leans; down richens.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
J-P beat me to it!

Was looking for this.

Read on!

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks guys...this~should~ help.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The way to easily remember this is to visualize the jet needle as a tapered cone sticking down into the jet. When you raise up the jet, the cone plugs up the jet, thus cutting off the gas and leaning out the mixture. For me, the hard part is remembering that when I'm looking down on the carb, a clockwise turn of the jet adjusting nut is actually counterclockwise (loosey and richer) if I was looking at it from the bottom.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks Dave...that helps.
I can't seem to get things set properly and she seems to run well for a couple of miles and then start backfiring again. I'm attaching a couple of pics of the plugs I just took out and maybe they will tell someone something. Not the best pics so I don't know. From left to right they are from back to front. Thanks.

Wel, I can't remember how to attach a photo from Photobucket :frown: Any help with that first??

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Gary:

From your Photobucket account, click to save the image code under the picture you want to post, then when you make a post here, you'll see the image icon (4th from the left above the typing field); click on that and enter the url you saved from your picture.

Mickey

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks Mickey...I'll try it.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Mickey...I guess I'm illiterate ! Can you tell me exactly what I click in Photobucket and how to save properly, etc.? Seems like I used to right click, copy and then paste on here but that's not working. Sorry I'm so ignorant !! :smile:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sending PM...

I build alot of these carbs, in fact building a set today. For good starting point, regardless if you have the solid needles or the bias needles, remove the dashpot, dampning spring and piston, with the end of dial caliper set the jet down from the bridge at aprox..070", that's where I set all of mine, it's textbook setting, and half my customer never even touch them set there.
Hope this helps.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Ellie002.jpg

This one is a really bad photo !
Ellie001.jpg

Well, I think this worked !

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
YAY!

But, BOO! Those look pretty lean.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Mr. Waldrop,
I wish I had a dial caliper and knew how to use it! Overall, I'm probably the least mechanical guy on this forum. So far, I've managed to muddle through and actually HAD this car running well. Not sure what's happened now !

Gary

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
So...maybe richen them up a little at a time? Both carbs?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yep - try this: Run the adjustment nut on each all the way up, but not too tight, counting how many turns each takes. This will let you know where you are now, in case you need to go back to that point. Back it down 1/2 a turn past where you are now and see what effect it has. Trial and error at this point; back and forth until you get it where you want it.

Oh, and make sure your dashpots have oil!

Or, try the method in the link I posted earlier.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks Mickey...I can do that. I'll keep ya'll posted :smile:

Gary

DGill

Freshman Member
I believe that if you want to change the setting from rich to lean you need to buy a new set of needles for the dash pots. The adjusting nut is really just setting the idle mixture. Moss motors sells the needles, you will need to remove both existing needles and check that they are indeed the same. It's very possible that over the years someone may have matched a carb that appears to be the same. Check the number tag on the float lids to see if you have matching carbs. Another thing to check is the vacum advance plat in the distributor under the points. The floating advance plate runs in a grove and after years of viberation the floating plate will hang up during exceleration causing a cold blooded runner and a barker on deceleration and a tuners nightmare.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DGill, you can change the setting from lean to rich with that nut. Of course though you are correct that the other way is to change the needle. At some point it would probably make sense for Gary to ensure that the needles match. But, we also know that this car has been running well, and we don't want to confuse the poor man too much. So, I suspect getting the settings matching and Gary driving is the critical thing.