• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Senior memory aid

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I bought my Sprite back in 1962 I was only 24 years old. I drove it daily for ten years then and it was automatic in not having to think about the motions involved in driving. Now that it is recently back on the road I am having to relearn old processes. When I go to signal a turn my hand automatically reaches under the steering wheel to flip the turn signal arm. Then I catch myself and reach over to flip the switch in the middle of the dashboard. All too frequently I forget to reach over and turn it off after completing the turn. The indicator lamp on the dash flashes with the turn signal activated but it is now blocked from my vision by my new smaller steering wheel. My solution was to wire a small buzzer into the circuit and now I hear the buzzer and know to turn the flasher off. In driving events with the local club I have followed big Healeys for distances with their blinker still activated so I guess I might not be unique in being forgetful

All in all it is a blast relearning to drive my Sprite all over again. The first time I learned to drive it my driving had to be on the left side of the road as well so that is one less thing to relearn now.

RickB

Yoda
After a few times out on the road I found I was automatically reaching up to the dash for the signal switch. It just takes a little repetition.
Fun cars, but not for foul weather.

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Aren't we old people supposed to drive down the street with the turn signals on? :jester: :devilgrin:

I have the same problem with my Miata daily driver if the top is down and it has a buzzer. :wall:

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Maybe we need to install a buzzer in the drivers seat, Now that would get your attention. maybe one of those handshake toy buzzers that we played with as children

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My prob is seeing the blinking light or hearing the buzzer. Now what, park it, I think not.

RickB

Yoda
It wouldn't be difficult to put a 'buzzer' in the seat, something that would annoy the dickens out of you to remind you to turn off the flippin blinker.

Or just take a teenager along, just as annoying and less trouble to install.

:jester:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh I like that, any neighborhood kid should do. Just think of all the good will you will be gaining.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
You can get a piezoelectric beeper at Radio Shlock for a couple bucks. These use practically zero current, so you can just connect it in parallel with the turn-signal indicator lamp on the dash. Best thing is, they're REALLY annoying, so you won't forget to turn the freakin' turn signal off!

OP
Nelson

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That is exactly the way that I did it. One $3.49 buzzer with 15 ma draw.

G

I'd like to shove an icepick in the buzzer of the Exped for the seatbelt/. That stupid thing dings for a minute AFTER you hooked it up.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Gee, you're really into icepicks these days! Please have a beer, think happy thoughts (like, maybe, a Yugo going off a cliff), and try to relax!