• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Second gear hard to shift into on first try

Tony P

I have a newly rebuilt transmission on my TR 4. When I start the car, warm it up and drive off shifting from 1st to 2nd is difficult and I have to double clutch to get it into 2nd. Now here is the rub, once underway the gearbox works smoothly and quietly. After the very first shift to 2nd, all other shifts into 2nd are smooth. It only happens once and that is the first time out of the driveway.
I have installed new clutch, T O bearing, cross shaft bushings, pressure plate, clutch master cylinder, slave and hose. I have spent hours adjusting and readjusting the slave linkage per the car manual.

I can live with the one time double clutch per outing, but it is just driving me crazy when I can't seem to figure it out. What do you guys think?

Tony P

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
What are you using for fluid in the transmission?

OP
T

Tony P

Hey Darrell, I am using 80-90 wt. spiray oil I read on another thread that I can add a pint of some other oil to smooth it out. I will have to search it out and get back to you. Thanks.

Tony

OP
T

Tony P

Ok Darrell, I found it. That person said to put a pint of Lucas oil treatment and then top off. He said he has gotten good results. Who knows. I have to research what is in that Lucas treatment and see if it will effect the trans.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I had that problem when I rebuilt my own box. Scared the wits out of me. Mainly when cold and tests were in November/ December. I now just take it easy when cold and know thats the way it is. Redline helped, me being aware helped more.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm with Sail,

When I changed the oil in my TR6 last summer I went with Redline MT90. I don't know if the Lucas additive is rated. If so it needs to be GL4 not GL5. Personally I don't use any additives in the gearbox. I do run a few ounces of Redline Break In fluid in the engine to make sure it gets its Vitamin Z (ZDDP)

OP
T

Tony P

Well redline MT 90 sounds like the ticket. I know that I have to do a fluid changeout on the Tr4 as soon as I reach my 1000 mile break in point on my engine rebuild. Still trying to get everything to settle in with my engine, carbs, trans and OD rebuilds. I guess miles is all that is needed for a while.

thanks for the help
Tony

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
Do you have OD?

In the UK where its basically cold and wet even in Summer lots of guys use engine oil in the gbox. Some do this with OD fitted.

The second gear syncro has a hard job to spin up the gear when the oil is cold. There is a lot of oil drag in these boxes.

When these were new we all used double-declutching most of the time. Lots of boxes had no syncro on first.

You may find this interesting:

https://www.quantumechanics.com/qm-htm/topic1.htm

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Good article Alan. Sounds like 30W non detergent is the way to go. It also explains why the 140w I'm using in the non-overdrive box is so stiff when cold. That'll have to come out at the next change...

OP
T

Tony P

Yes I do have OD and I am thinking of going to a lighter wt soon. I will start from 90 wt and reduce wt until I get the response I need on that 2nd gear shift. Thanks Alan.

Tony