• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SCCA PDX.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Do anyone of the regulars here participate as instructors in this?
I'm going to be signing up for a PDX near here in October, and apart from the evaluation forms, what else can I expect?
What I'd really like answered, is how much instruction / track time and learning can I expect? Such as, if I can't get the hang of tracking out properly, will they continue to teach, or just mark as 'didn't get it' and move on....?
I know I have some work to do on my Midget before then so it will pass Tech (bit different from Solo 2) but I'm really looking forward it.
TIA.

I've instructed many many SCCA driver schools, but never a PDX, but have attended many PDX, where they also offer track test time for race cars, so I've been around this a good bit. PDXs or HPDEs are designed to give you a track experience in a non race enviroment, meaning not fender to fender racing and only passing allowed normally on the straights and only then if the driver you are overtaking gives you a wave by. You'll start out with an instructor riding with you instructing you as you drive, as you progress the instructor will allow you go out solo, if you don't progress they will continue to ride with you until you do progress. Alot of folks these days are choosing PDXs as thier regular form of motorsports for a number of reasons, because they can do it in their street legal cars without alot of mods, if they are known by the group putting on the PDX, then as they return to other PDX, they pretty much get to do solo sessions. To answer your question if though it is termed as shcool, it is not so in the case you graduate to move on to something else, you're thier customer, they wnat you to enjoy yourself, and will take as long as it takes to make you feel comfortable. Don't fret it, just go have fun, you'll be fine.

One big issue though with cars like ours is having a roll bar that is above your head in a roadster, many PDX groups do not allowed non roll bar equipped convertible cars to do PDXs.

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Hap. Appreciate your input.
I read the rules about roll bars/cages, and my bar meets the requirement for me. I'm 5'6", so getting into my normal driving position and being way below the top of the bar isn't a problem. I just have to find an instructor that is shorter than I.
The car meets or exceeds their requirements in all other areas, so I'll have to check with them, or get another car..... or another roll bar.

ThinkRacing

It is ultimately up to your instructor. That is, if you get a hang of it and your instructor "trusts" you, he/she can allow you to go out solo.

When I did a PDX in my B, I had a great instructor that taught me the line, then as I got a handle on the line, moved on to other techniques like aggressive late braking, left foot braking and trail braking. We had three run groups at the time. Instructor seat time/race car testing, advanced and novice.

I never got any solo time, but I did not ask for it. My instructor was real good, had a chatter box and taught me a lot about driving at speed, so I did not pass up the opportunity for more instruction. I had a long-term plan in place.

Have fun. These are great opportunities for track time and learning. I would go in humble and ready to learn. But humility does not mean you can't be fast and aggressive. I got passed a few times, but used the chance to stay on their butts through the twisties where I was just as fast or faster.

Nothing like having an M3 catch you on the front straight, but get lost in the turns.

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks!
As much as I love Solo II in my Midget, it is not in any way, ready for PDX or time trials. For the sake of track time and learning, I'll be doing it in my daily street car.
To get the roll bar 4" above my helmeted head, is too much to ask for my car, and that would commit it to something other than enjoying, and car shows.
I really want to learn, be on the track and have some new experiences that my Midget has led me toward, but I don't think I want to take her that far.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Barry:
Just a note.
Most club (SCCA, NASA, etc) require 2" clearance for (halo) roll bar above helmet for wheel to wheel racing.
For many track day (non-race) events such as Time Trials or HPDEs, 1" clearance is sufficent.
I don't think anyone requires 4".

bobmga62

Jedi Hopeful
ahhh...

The first pdx was at LRP that I instructed... I had never seen such a bunch over over commited, drive beyond your limits idiots in my life as what these pdx'ers ..even with Instructors on board, too many just saw the red mist..

the following year, I insisted on a lot more control (and therefore won the position of chief instructor) and if a guy was acting like an idiot... ask him to leave.. It was a much better event..

Unfortunately I believe PDX events are an accident and a law suit waiting to happen (Look at the Porsche Ferrari fiasco from two years ago....two dead, and millions in lawsuits..),,, and really kind of shy away from them now...

Anyhow, Its a good excuse to get on a track and drive quickly... but drive within reason and do listen to your instructor...they do know what they are talking about, and if you use your head, start reasonable, and as the day increases you'll be faster and smoother....

Don't think your a hero driver...use the experience with care.

r

That reminds me of a story where I had some 4cyl dirt track champion as a student at a SCCA comp license driving school on time, the guy had some skill, and feared nothing but he was driving way over his head, he was spinning out maybe three times a session. When I tried to talk to him, he knew everything, and like to remind of his dirt track experience. Well I got enough of his crap, I told him if I saw him sling up one speck of dust or bend a blade of grass from running off track or heaven forbid spin out in the next session, that was it, I was sending him home. He went out in the session, minded his manners, after it was over he came up to me in a very smartalic manner, and ask me, "boss Man was that any better", I told yep, you went three seconds a lap faster, his jaw dropped, from then on I had his attention. :smile:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
That's what it is all about. Being able to run and learn the smooth way to gain speed. I've been in quite a few PDXs and feel pretty confident in the instructors. St. Louis is in progress of an instructors school. Because of work schedule was not able to enter. It's quite frightening to see some of the entrants, but if controlled you find it a more pleasurable experience. I went off in turn 2 at Gateway, because I looked at a Viper in my mirror and over ran the corner. Without my experience in Pursuit driving and the lessons learned at ealier PDXs I would not have been able to recover, in my new MINI at that time. Must always to remember watch forward and wait until the straight to flag a faster car aound. Schroth harnesses help and good helmets. Roll bars on convertibles. If advancing get a cage for Time Trials and Hill Climbs. Remember to make these race specs, because, if you are enjoying yourself, that's the next step. Also, the main item for PDX is to be able to control your car at highway speeds.

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Larry,
It's the St Louis one I'm going to, not sure which one yet as they have 3 scheduled (Aug, Sept and Oct), but please keep an eye out for an MB C230 and introduce yourself.