• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Saying goodbye is always hard...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Chip -

The ad looks very good. I've got my TR3 up, and it's my first attempt as well - Item number 4583638833 (Shameless plug!)

Hope both reach the reserve.

And you're exactly right about the goodbyes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

Mickey

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
Chip, very nice looking car. I can see why you are sad it is going. I have a question about the dash lites. Are they the original bulbs or did you use the more powerful ones available from Jeff Zorn? Thanks for taking the time to answer this.

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Informative ad--good job. But what's up with "TR6 Triumph 1974 datsun sports car classic convertible"?

Yea, I'd sell mine for a 'Cuda project!

G

The car looks nice, but if I may offer advice I'd be inclined to show some pictures of the usual problem areas - underside, frame, rear suspension mounts et al. A shot of a nice clean engine bay is always nice to see too.

I also personally don't think nighttime shots show the car at it's best - you'd never *buy* a car at night so why look at a picture of one, and two pictures of practically the same thing (the gauges lit up) is a waste when there are so many other features that could be highlighted.

The text is nice, but without the pictures to back it up it might prove harder to entice someone who can't come and look at the vehicle to bid. This is especially true when you say these shots are a month old and things have changed - a lot can happen in a month...

Just mho you understand. Good luck with the auction.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK. I'll bite jimbar... what exactly is it you are talking about?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
One of your picture links is captioned: "Picture from when it rolled over... that was neat."

Well I just had to look at that one. Hah.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Overall, your auction looks great and I really like the unusual photos, taken at night. Those are a different approach and eye-catching, but also give shoppers good info.

A few *minor* observations:

I've bought and sold hundreds of items on eBay, plus spent over 20 years working in advertising and marketing, including "new media" from the mid-90s on. Personally, I think a mistake that a lot of eBay car sellers make is providing too many pictures, as well as improperly sized/too large. There are a lot of folks still accessing the Internet via dial-up connections, and large quantities and sizes of pictures will make for very slow loading and can even time out or lock up a slow connection. I personally try to limit eBay auctions to 4 or 6 smaller images in an auction, sometimes less. I offer to send more via email, if necessary (or post them off-site as you have done).

While I've been writing this, I've had your auction coming up in another browser via an AOL connection. Two of the pictures stopped mid-load and one failed to load at all. I know how to get them to complete loading, but others may not. You wisely offer more pictures off-site, so that high-speed users can explore to their heart's content, slow dial-up users can still access a little at a time.

Why sell to the U.S. only? Some of my best customers have been in Japan, Canada, Australia, Italy, etc. I must say that I sell smaller items that are more easily shipped than a car, but international shipping is readily available for almost anything. A weak dollar means strong bidding can come from Europe/UK, Japan or just about anywhere. (Please see note below about overseas scams, though.)

There are a couple small typos: I think you mean "previous" owner, not "precious". "We *thought* they looked silly" is another. But, I knew what you meant!

Note: Watch out for scammers who troll eBay and offer to send you many extra thou$and$ additional profit if you sell to them and accept their overseas check, usually with partial cash reimbursement. Overseas checks can take 30 days to clear. Scammers know this and target high ticket items like cars trying to make a quick $. They especially like to target newer sellers who have little or no feedback.

At least a few eBay sellers have fallen for this, done as asked and overseas shipped an expensive item *and* some sort of partial reimbursement, only to have the buyer's check bounce weeks after the transaction was completed. If anyone requests it, just tell them "Sure, but all checks are held until confirmed cleared by my bank." You'll never hear from them again!

Again, it's really a good auction listing, better than most. The above items are minor, just food for thought.

Good luck with the auction. I think you will do well, although I think you might be shopping for another TR6 in a year or two or three!!

OP
V

VanHalenMan

Jimbar, are you saying we will be sorry for selling our cars (Which i agree) or that someone would be sorry for buying my car... It its the latter, please, enlighten me!

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Jimbar, are you saying we will be sorry for selling our cars (Which i agree) or that someone would be sorry for buying my car... It its the latter, please, enlighten me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! The first 10 times I read it I thought he was saying that we'd be sorry for buying the car. About an hour after I posted my previous message I decided that maybe he was saying that you'd be sorry for selling it. On Jimbar's website it shows that he sold a car. Perhaps that is what he is saying but I'm not sure.

Come on Jimbar! Lets hear it!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I'll probably be sorry for selling my 4 but the ad starts in the paper on Tuesday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif
But, I gotta make room for the 2.. I guess that's a good swap

Bugeye58

Yoda
Let's see. 4 is bigger than 2, so 2 would only be half as good.
If I've done the math right, and I think I have, 6 would seem the better solution.
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Let's see. 4 is bigger than 2, so 2 would only be half as good.
If I've done the math right, and I think I have, 6 would seem the better solution.
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm replacing the TR3 with a TR8, so it's 2.666666... times... Never mind!

Mickey

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mickey, you may be using the space once occupied by the TR3 for a TR8, but I don't think you could ever replace a 3 with an 8.
Of course I'm prejudiced very stongly in favor of the TR3.
Jeff

G

Mickey,
If the TR8 is 2.666 times better than the TR3 could it be possible that the devil made you do it???

Bill

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Mickey,
If the TR8 is 2.666 times better than the TR3 could it be possible that the devil made you do it???

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Anything's possible, I suppose! After all, that V/8 is so SWEET - never thought it might have "the mark of the beast"!

Truth is, it's a lot more comfortable on the road than the TR3, and it will see a lot more use than the TR3.

Mickey

jimbar

As one who sold his first TR6 I can speak from experience on this subject. You'll be sorry you sold it! I know I was. However I've since rectified my mistake and bought another one. Only this time I got one with everything I wanted on the last one.... Now thats what I'm talk'n about!