• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sand Blast vs. Soda blast?

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Just recently heard of soda blsting. I went to a car restoration shop..the kind you pend $50K+ to do a full restoration on...yea pros! and he sandblasts everything. Someone told me they do soda blasting now? Any major difference? I really need to do somethign with small parts...bolts, nuts, etc. I recentl;y discovered my Dremel with a sanding bit and poliser bit (gotta be careful and et the rid grade) does a nice job cleaning up old parts, but I would love to do one en mass. perhaps a parts washer? I'm a newbie but very mechanically inclined. Can anyone be kind enough to offer adivec and explain thiese things to a young greenhorn?

Thanks!

Lou aka Blackjokr

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I had thought about buying the eastwood kit, but have decided to send mine to a pro. It's messy work.

But the advantage of Soda blasting is that it doesn't warp the panels like other media can. The downside is that it doesn't remove rust, you'll need other media.

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
hello, IMO glass bead is the best for small parts not as cheap but great results, good luck.

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
It must work, the photo on their site is definitely a spridget

SB_Closeup.gif

:wink:

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
You know.... watching those eastwood videos sure do make it look easy. Having a pro do it isn't cheap either.... Thinking... thinking... .thinking....

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO sand is easier than soda...its hard to get soda out of all the crevices...its easy to get sand out.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
tony barnhill said:
IMO sand is easier than soda...its hard to get soda out of all the crevices...its easy to get sand out.

I thought the soda would just wash away and disolve. I still have sand coming out of the crevices on my MGB and that's from 4-5 years ago.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The way to get all the sand out is to strap the shell on a trailer & take a couple hour drive on the interstate at speed - it'll all disappear.

Soda will settle to the bottom of the crevices when wet & cake there.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Is soda the same as CO2 blasting. I have heard of this. Its basically dry ice in tiny bits like sand. They are sprayed out and cut the paint, rust, whatever off and then the dry ice disappears and no pile of sand to deal with and less bad stuff for the lungs.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
if you go for sand blasting - just make sure the guy knows what he is doing, then you won't have to replace your boot and bonnet and get your doors straightened. Soda won't do that.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Properly done sand blasting is fine. Takes it all off. Make sure the guy doing it does a lot of it and knows how.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I have 1 guy who normally blasts all my cars before painting....never damaged a panel yet (knock on wood).

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
yes, make sure the guy who does it knows what he is doing. had a mgb sand blasted a few years ago.good news the job was free the bad news they ruined a great aluminum bonnet and boot. lid so just be careful who you get.